Battling the Bloat: Goodbye Gluten

Options
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the site & also newly diagnosed with Celiac disease. Going 100% gluten free for 2015 & just wondering if anyone here has noticed a significant reduction in bloat after going gluten free. And if so, how long before you noticed a significant difference in your physical and emotional wellbeing?

Thanks guys

Replies

• katherine_rockett
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a coeliac but I have gone gluten free as I find gluten upsets me. I've been gluten free since January 1st 2015 and I feel amazing already although finding lunch time meals is still a struggle for me seen as bread is out the question.
  • phreakmagnet
    phreakmagnet Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @katherine_rockett‌ - do you happen to remember approximately how long it took before you started feeling better?
  • madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since June and I did not notice any difference. I am gluten-intolerant, hypothyroid/hashimotos, lyme.. The only difference I see is less heartburn.
  • phreakmagnet
    Options
    @madlynn2‌ - you didn't notice any difference in bloating? That's disappointing- I just want more energy (I am hypothyroid as well) and less stomach pain and bloating.
  • ebuehler00
    ebuehler00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also celiac and been completely gluten free for 4 yrs. personally I noticed a significant difference after I went GF. For me I felt like a completely different person by a month in. In addition to the obvious GF diet outcomes, I also experienced more energy, weight loss, over all better health. Stay with it and you may be surprised :) Gf and exercise is a great combo.
  • katherine_rockett
    Options
    @phreakmagnet‌ I felt a difference within a couple of days, I notice a few people have mentioned a thyroid issue to, mines hyper rather than hypo but I haven't experienced the weight loss that many who are hyper have. I almost presented as hypo with my weight.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Been GF since November. Totally fixed my bloating, cramps, excessive gas problem. Won't go back. Can tell difference immediately if I have something with gluten.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Coeliac back in October 2014, it's a learning curve - it'll take you a while to completely get your head round it, but just be very careful and label smart.... At first you might feel a bit overwhelmed by all the things (you wouldn't expect) that contain gluten, but just read everything, research and you'll not go far wrong.

I'm from the UK and Tesco has a good selection of Free From products, as does Holland & Barrett - but obviously it depends where in the world you're from as to how easy the transition will be for you.

I would say that it took me a couple of days to notice any real changes, less bloating, less tiredness and generally feeling brighter and more alert, although I do have to take extra care with my fibre intake nowadays, because the gluten free diet can be a little constipating at times, for me anyway.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you want to, I'm online most days.

xXx

• phreakmagnet
    Options
    This is all great information- thank you all so much! I will be reaching out again as I'm sure I will have more questions as time progresses. Thanks all <3
  • madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At the time of going GF I was also on 6 months of Lyme antibiotics which had bad side effects so didn't notice any changes from GF.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I tried GF for a couple of months but had complete constipation and had to quit because that was causing me other issues like abdominal pains & stomach distention, even went to the ER. How do you do GF and not have other problems?
  • misschiplash78
    misschiplash78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Having coeliac affects your ability to absorb iron which has a massive effect on your energy levels. It will take a while (100% gluten free as you mentioned) to get your iron stores up (1-2 months), a liquid iron supplement may help without the effects (constipation/bloating) you might otherwise experience from a pill form of iron supplementation.
  • phreakmagnet
    Options
    Having coeliac affects your ability to absorb iron which has a massive effect on your energy levels. It will take a while (100% gluten free as you mentioned) to get your iron stores up (1-2 months), a liquid iron supplement may help without the effects (constipation/bloating) you might otherwise experience from a pill form of iron supplementation.

Thank you!