Lifting weights...

Options
What is an effective weight lifting routine? How many days a week and for how long do you dedicate time to lifting? I'm trying to do more lifting than cardio to help burn more fat and build some muscle tone. Thank you.

Replies

• katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have found a ton of weight lifting routines on Bodybuilding.com You can customize it to Male or Female, fat loss, build muscle, beginner to expert, etc. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, SL5x5, ICF5x5, Strong Curves and NROLFW are some good beginner routines, should take 40-60 mins (NROLFW slightly longer as it is footery, as a beginner I wasn't a fan) 3 x a week.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ICF 5x5 will take closer to 2hrs when it gets tough but i recommend it if you have time.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 are both very widely-used beginner lifting routines. I, however, have taken the lazy way out and am currently doing 3x5 deadlifts with hamstring and upper back accessory work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I mostly do stronglifts 5x5, takes me about 30 min/day 3 days/wk
  • tinbru
    tinbru Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    5X5 is awesome (for any1) as for how many days that depends on you if u can only go 3 times a week do full body with rest days in between if u can do 4 do like chest, back, shoulders, legs etc
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    katie2400 wrote: »
    I have found a ton of weight lifting routines on Bodybuilding.com You can customize it to Male or Female, fat loss, build muscle, beginner to expert, etc. :)

^^^ This
  • TminusFitnessN321
    TminusFitnessN321 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    katie2400 wrote: »

Cool. Is it free?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to have one session with a personal trainer to get a routine established. It helped that I won the session for free...