Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

I don't know that I eat to fuel any specific activity.

That is what food is - fuel. Calories are a unit of energy. You need calories to have energy. Without calories, you're like a car without fuel....you're not going anywhere.

And to take that car analogy further - for me, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?
    The body isn't quite like a car. The body is like a van with 2 gas tanks. If you run out of fuel in your primary tank (glycogen storage) you have this other tank (fat) that for most people is a much larger tank with plenty of fuel. You can do plenty of things in a "fasted" state. I always skip breakfast. I do intermittent fasting and have been for years. I've completed 2 tough mudders fasted, I've hiked 20 miles fasted, I've kayak for hours fasted, all of my regular lifting workouts are completed fasted. Your body has plenty of stored fuel. Most people will do fine skipping breakfast from a performance standpoint with endurance athletes probably being the exception. Breakfast is all about preference. Lots of people, as mentioned above, get hungry once they start eating. I am one of those people. It is much easier for me to fast most of the day and have my calories at night. Other people simply must have breakfast or they feel hungry all day. Whatever your preference is, is fine. Just know that there is nothing inherently beneficial about eating or skipping breakfast.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day because I take a medication that has to be taken with food. I don't do a big breakfast, just a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 c oats, 1 c. water, and a sprinkle of artificial sweetener) and my coffee with a little 1/2 & 1/2. It fills me up until lunch and I don't get the mid-morning crash I used to get.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I'm hungry. And usually I'm not hungry in the morning.
  • DiscePati
    DiscePati Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I save all of my calories for the end of the day in one big meal (between 6-9 pm.). I'd much rather eat one big meal than 3-4 or even 6 smaller meals throughout the day. This has been successful for me, but realize it's not for everyone. I've found what works for me and so should everyone else.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started skipping breakfast when I was in college. The extra 30 minutes of sleep was worth it. Now, the only time I can face food is when I sleep late.
    Oh, I'll eat a donut or something, but eggs & bacon are not appealing in the early AM.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I know, this is bull****. All my crappy posts are showing up at the top and I can't really see it in the forum. Just the "My Topics" list
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What happened to all the posts in this thread?
    The entire first 3 pages just up and vanished...weird... The thread probably went catabolic from skipping breakfast...
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Dunno, probably censored by "breakfast is most important meal of the day, kick start metabolism etc" person
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Dunno, probably censored by "breakfast is most important meal of the day, kick start metabolism etc" person

That is weird. Now it looks like I am the thread starter.
  • chazgoss
    chazgoss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

I don't know that I eat to fuel any specific activity.

That is what food is - fuel. Calories are a unit of energy. You need calories to have energy. Without calories, you're like a car without fuel....you're not going anywhere.

And to take that car analogy further - for me, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?
    The body isn't quite like a car. The body is like a van with 2 gas tanks. If you run out of fuel in your primary tank (glycogen storage) you have this other tank (fat) that for most people is a much larger tank with plenty of fuel. You can do plenty of things in a "fasted" state. I always skip breakfast. I do intermittent fasting and have been for years. I've completed 2 tough mudders fasted, I've hiked 20 miles fasted, I've kayak for hours fasted, all of my regular lifting workouts are completed fasted. Your body has plenty of stored fuel. Most people will do fine skipping breakfast from a performance standpoint with endurance athletes probably being the exception. Breakfast is all about preference. Lots of people, as mentioned above, get hungry once they start eating. I am one of those people. It is much easier for me to fast most of the day and have my calories at night. Other people simply must have breakfast or they feel hungry all day. Whatever your preference is, is fine. Just know that there is nothing inherently beneficial about eating or skipping breakfast.

Very interesting to read. All week I have forced myself to eat breakfast (I usually don't eat till 12ish) and I haven't felt any benefits for this apart from a sluggish feeling at work and increased appetite. I much prefer eating later on the day
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    generally speaking, i dont eat breakfast. sometimes i do, most of the time not. but i do eat an early lunch and early dinner (we also go to bed quite early lol)
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been skipping breakfast since I was a child. I prefer to have snacks in the evening. Of course I'm not in shape either, so take that as you may. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I "break" my "fast" at around 11-12 most days.
    The whole breakfast is the most important meal of the day, was funded by the big cereal companies, particularly Kellogs. .....
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i agree that you are going to get differing opinions on this. i did IF for years and that is when i lost my weight and felt my best. i fasted from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 noon the following day. i did eat breakfast, it was just called lunch and i ate it at noon. LOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    i agree that you are going to get differing opinions on this. i did IF for years and that is when i lost my weight and felt my best. i fasted from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 noon the following day. i did eat breakfast, it was just called lunch and i ate it at noon. LOL

exactly what I do. You're still having breakfast, just later in the day.

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'll have some fruit around 11.30am then lunch at 1pm. If I eat early in the morning it sets me up for being hungry all day which isn't a good thing!.

Found on the days I ate before setting off for work it slowed me down on the bike (3 mile cycle)..
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2014 thread, they probably had breakfast by now.