Fitbit or something else?

Options
what does it do exactly and why is it better than just using My Fitness Pal or couch to 5k or run keeper or another app?

Replies

• ariananelson
    ariananelson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and would buy it again in a heartbeat!
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What do u use it for i don't get what they do besides track steps. Can you upload Playlists or couch to 5k on them?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are motion trackers programmed to determine the number of steps taken. They aren't an app ... they don't upload or play files of any type. They either clip to your clothes or go on your wrist and track motion.

For some, they are useful motivational and tracking tools. They can show activity trends over time ... how sedentary you are or aren't.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    What about the other bands, are any of them more useful?
  • sangeet1978
    sangeet1978 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar loop and would buy it again any time.
  • emailme178
    emailme178 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex wrist one... I loveeee it. It connects and syncs directly into MFP so you can more accurately know how many calories you burn during your day, how many miles or steps too. I got a bit addicted to trying to hit the 10k steps/day lol.... and im not really a step counter kinda girl... but the band does a little vibratey blinky happy dance when you hit a goal :) it does have a fitbit app and site so to see how many calories/miles/steps/how you slept even if you wear it at night... you check in the app on your smart phone. I would still use a app like C25K tho to train as it wont give you intervals or anything like that. the flex doesn't have GPS which I don't need either. and you can switch out the bands if you buy more colors :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    what does it do exactly and why is it better than just using My Fitness Pal or couch to 5k or run keeper or another app?

Depends what you want to achieve.

Fitness trackers generally approximate your daily energy expenditure based on your movement activity. For some people that's reasonable, for other jobs a lot less useful. Personally I don't see the point, but lots of people on here love them.

Phone based apps, like Runkeeper, are best for training that's outdoors and benefits from GPS tracking; running, cycling etc. For gyum based activities they'll just give you estimated information.

C25K is a 9 week plan that'll get you to running for 30 minutes continuously. It's a good introduction to running, but it's just that, an introduction. If you try it and you enjoy running you'll move onto other plans, or just freeform running.

The other potentially useful tool is a heart rate monitor, although lots of people on here fon't really udnerstand how to use them effectively. Again best if you're running, cycling, rowing or similar.
  • IrishDawgg22
    IrishDawgg22 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What about the other bands, are any of them more useful?

Personally I think the only useful ones are the HRM versions because they provide you with a more accurate assessment of your workout. But the Fitbit version runs about $129.

I went with the Polar FT4 HRM watch, but I am a little old fashioned and don't mind manually adding info to my Ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B04UH7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Joy_Jenkins
    Joy_Jenkins Posts: 12 Member
    Options

• carralynn2007
    Options
    What does everyone think of jawbone UP with myfitnesspal?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have an older generation Jawbone UP. It's still for sale around $60, but the new UP 3 is about to come out, which I'm excited for.

If you read reviews for Jawbone you'll come away with very mixed reviews. People seem to find the Fitbit more reliable in terms of not breaking, but the Jawbone UP app gets much better reviews.

I personally love my Jawbone. It keeps me motivated to keep moving. I take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. I take a 1.5 mile walk at lunch instead of eating at my desk. I'm always looking for ways to increase my step count trying to hit 10K steps a day :)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the only useful ones are the HRM versions because they provide you with a more accurate assessment of your workout.

For a limited subset of activitities the approximations are likely to be reasonably accurate, assuming that it's set up appropriately.

They're not uncrtically more accurate[/i}
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    I'm leaning towards the Jawbone Up or latesr fitbit, though it looks like the up3 won't be out until December? I plan to buy one tomorrow. Hoping it will motivate me to move more...
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have garmin vivofit. Good motivation and some decent other features. Alarm, notification vibrations via Bluetooth.

The app has some to be desired, but I can use it with my forerunner 220 and have it all in 1.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    ok, here it goes, i think its gonna be the fitbit charge... lol seems like such a tough choice!