I want to loose faster. Is this healthy?

Options
I mean healthy as in is it healthy/normal to want to loose faster? the last couple of days I've been eating 200 less calories a day then what MFP says. Is this going to turn on me?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What is your goal set to?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Lose faster than what? You say you need to lose 161 lbs, so certainly it's okay for you to lose at a rate of a couple of pounds a week, and you'll do fine.

I do not hit a specific calorie count every single day, and to be honest, as long as my week averages out to about a 3500 calorie deficit, I'm all good.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    We can't judge whether it's healthy or not because we don't know your calorie goal...
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's normal to want to lose fast, but it's not necessarily healthy I'm afraid...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I mean healthy as in is it healthy/normal to want to loose faster? the last couple of days I've been eating 200 less calories a day then what MFP says. Is this going to turn on me?

:noway:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose more than 2 pounds a week then it probably isn't a healthy plan.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is already built in to your daily calorie goal. There is no need to go further under that.

I always ebb on the side of "no". Rushing the process may derail you. With the amount you have to lose, stick to the 2lb/week plan. Some weeks you will lose more than others, especially in the beginning. You want sustainable changes, and to use this time to learn how to keep your new lifestyle up.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's important to have realistic expectations. Wanting to lose faster, while sometimes can be done, will not always equal the results you want either. Also, the more you cut, the harder it is to adhere to. Don't forget as well that you need to keep your body fueled properly so that you do not become malnutritioned and/or leave yourself open to illness/injury.
  • marialou891
    marialou891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for yor kind words! I just want so badly for this to be the time that I succeed. I guess taking it slow is the best way to see that happen.
  • marialou891
    marialou891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For example I was eating about 1870 am when it said I should be eating 2070
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You're completely fine, lol.

Eating anything less than 1,200 is unhealthy.

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Why?
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Why?

Because bodies need calories to function, and no one is recommended to eat under 1,200 unless under close medical supervision and under doctor's orders.

You really shouldn't be eating under your BMR. Those are the calories your body burns every day functioning and keeping you alive.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat your calorie goal the MFP gives you! We all want to lose quicker but, the slower you lose, the more likely you are to keep losing and keep it off. Slow and steady. Trying to lose too quickly can increase the amount of muscle you lose along the way.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Why? Because.
    Unless doctor/dietician supervised, a low calorie diet can damage organs, and not provide enough nutrition for long term health.
    Cheers, h.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Why?

Because bodies need calories to function, and no one is recommended to eat under 1,200 unless under close medical supervision and under doctor's orders.

You really shouldn't be eating under your BMR. Those are the calories your body burns every day functioning and keeping you alive.

I've always wondered this.

So a 4'10" woman has the exact same minimum calorie goal as a 5'9" woman?

OP: the goal is to eat as much as you can, and still lose weight. Eat what MFP tells you to!
  • missiontofitness
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why?

OP: the goal is to eat as much as you can, and still lose weight. Eat what MFP tells you to!

A 4'10" woman should probably still be eating close to 1,200. You shouldn't eat under your BMR period, but eating over your BMR does not automatically mean you are suddenly going to gain weight.

No one's calorie goals are the same, and shouldn't be adjusted so low in any case without a doctor.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Why?

A 4'10" woman should probably still be eating close to 1,200. You shouldn't eat under your BMR period, but eating over your BMR does not automatically mean you are suddenly going to gain weight.

No one's calorie goals are the same, and shouldn't be adjusted so low in any case without a doctor.

That wasn't really my question. I've been at this for a while now, and I've lost a good amount of weight (8 months, 65 pounds). I know what I need to eat.

I was asking because the 1200 has always seemed arbitrary to me. I don't understand how a minimum could be the same for such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and weights. I thought maybe you had some insight :smiley: (I think this sounds sarcastic, and I really don't mean it to be).
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Why?

That wasn't really my question. I've been at this for a while now, and I've lost a good amount of weight (8 months, 65 pounds). I know what I need to eat.

I was asking because the 1200 has always seemed arbitrary to me. I don't understand how a minimum could be the same for such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and weights. I thought maybe you had some insight :smiley: (I think this sounds sarcastic, and I really don't mean it to be).

Most likely if someone is 4'10 and has a significant amount to lose, their BMR is going to be over 1,200, so 1,200 is appropriate. Like I said, it's something the person should be discussing with a doctor, because they will be advised of an appropriate amount to eat for their specific body type. MFP picks that minimum to be safe and broad across the board, to account for everyone.
  • missiontofitness
    edited January 2015
    Options
    (Edit: For the above poster; formatting got all messed up so I had to delete most of the quoted post to get it to work.)

Most likely if someone is 4'10 and has a significant amount to lose, their BMR is going to be over 1,200, so 1,200 is appropriate. Like I said, it's something the person should be discussing with a doctor, because they will be advised of an appropriate amount to eat for their specific body type. MFP picks that minimum to be safe and broad across the board, to account for everyone.

I also was answering your question, and was not implying you didn't know what you were asking of me. Sorry if it came off that way.