My biggest problem is that I am disabled,not completely,but that makes it very hard to exercise

Options
I want and need to lose weight, I am100lbs overweight. I need a lot of support. Words of encouragement help. I need to change Everything! And I know it won't happen overnight. If anyone else is in this same or similar condition. Let's try to help each other. I'm alone and have No one to help me with this.I have a Grumpy old fart for a boyfriend, and he's no help at all. Let's try to help each other, PLEASE. Can't wait to hear from someone, or everyone!

Replies

• Fergie790
    Fergie790 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sending lots of encouragement your way. You can do it!!!
  • rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    All the best. You can do this. Instead of concentrating on what may be limiting you, think of what you do have and go from there.
  • Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you can be a bit more specific about your disability, I can probably suggest some exercises you could do easily. Also keep in mind that weight loss can come purely from diet changes :)
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Think positive, once you start losing a few pounds by changing your diet you will feel better about you. I started by cutting out carbs, I only managed one week and I have to say I felt better, I mostly
    ate salads and yogurt.-Dannon lite Greek I hadn't eaten that before and I love it I barely got to exercise but still lost a few pounds. Maybe you can incorporate some change in your mans food as well and by early spring and two might find things to do out side, not knowing your issue there must be something don't give up.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Start small or you're likely to get overwhelmed. Like, one thing I did was switch to artificial sweetener in my coffee to save calories. I switched to caffeinated water flavor drops instead of soda. I figured out-over time- what foods were worth the calories and which ones were not. Take a long-term approach, try different things, figure out what you like and can stick with.
    Oh, and consider dumping that grumpy-pants boyfriend. You don't have to put up with that nonsense. There are worse things than being alone.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I started out 300lbs+ overweight, and disabled... but it really does come down to the nature of the disability as to whether or not it really keeps a person from exercise. Many disabilities are actually improved by exercise, as long as the exercise is appropriate. Why not discuss exercise options with the physician that certifies the disability?

For me, aquatic exercise helped immensely. Combining gentle increases of activity and a more aggressive approach to diet is what go me to my first 50lbs lost.

Not going to lie, when you struggle with physical limitations, it can make progress slower than it happens for other people, but honestly? The slower progress is often caused by the fact that we're sedentary and end up eating more due to depression or boredom in being sedentary, and not for any actual "outside of my control" reason... So adjust the plan to what you can do, instead of looking at it as, my disability keeps me from following the plan... and you can make a lot of progress.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose 13 pounds. I am certain with some hard work and counting calories (logging of course) you will quickly be on your way :) Good luck!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look up chair exercises, you don't have to do everything exactly the way the instructor is demonstrating, you can incorporate your own version of it!
    Something is always better than nothing :wink:
    Watching your intake can do wonders for weight loss, which doesn't require too much effort!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Im slightly confused...are cal ticker says youre wanting to lose 13 but your thread says 100 ??
  • pleaseloseit2015
    pleaseloseit2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to start in small doses. After I have accomplished 5 lbs at a time , I think it will be more motivating.But I do need to lose 100 overall
    . Thanks for the chair suggestion, didn't think of that.
  • pleaseloseit2015
    pleaseloseit2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think I'm trying the old excuse..... I'm homebound, so everything is harder So all I want to do in my boredom is eat
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hang out, read through the forums and you will see that everyone has their own unique challenges to face. It's not easy for any of us but you CAN do this.

You're on the right track breaking it up into small doses - taking small steps to build your confidence and your strength will show you that the journey might be long, but it's not impossible.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i've lost over 100 pounds mainly focusing on my food intake. I have a problem with my hip that doesn't allow me to work out like i used to.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I think I'm trying the old excuse..... I'm homebound, so everything is harder So all I want to do in my boredom is eat

Find things to combat the boredom. Reading, talking to freinds on the phone, projects you can do from home, paint your nails, give yourself a facial. Tricky though.

Remember that you don't have to change everything all at once. Baby steps and focus on your diet mainly. Where are your weak spots? Pick one that you think you can change and start working on that. When you've got that under control pick another. Things like eating more protein or vegetables, cutting down on sugary drinks, drinking more water or cutting portions of certain foods in half.

Who does your shopping? Can you get them on board with the healthy eating thing? Do you cook for yourself? If not, is it possible for you to start?

Best of luck

• bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I though of something for you, I figure that you might be able to get up and walk to the bathroom, if you do that then you can do this. Walk in place, I was watching a video of just walking in place for like 5 mins, you lift your knee a few times, kick your feet out a little and just do steps.
    The other thing you can do is arms out to the side and spin in small circles, then medium circles and then large ones and then do them in reverse, my son would do these in the Marines I forget what there called, but you want you body to start working and maybe before long you will feel better about you. :smiley:
    Please let me know what you think.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Can you please elaborate on what your disability is? It'll be easier to make suggestions for exercise. Although at the end of the day, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.