Exercising with a Kid

Options
i have a one year old son and am a stay at Heya!,e mom. I don't have the money to go to a gym, and he is with me 24/7. What are some ideas for exercises I can do with an active one year old? I walk with him in the stroller but that's about it. I can't exercise during his nap time because he refuses to take one.

Replies

• FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Boo on no napping.

I'm a SAH dad to a 6 month old and I've been walking and doing body weight exercises. I started with the book Convict Conditioning, but am now using You Are Your Own Gym. The author of that book also has one specifically for women, I think it's called Body by You.

Feel free to add me if you want an accountability buddy.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Can you get up earlier than your son in AM and do a workout video? Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is only 20 min and all 3 levels are available free on Youtube. Many people had great results with her workouts. I used to do them regularly when I had no access to a gym.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm as well, I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 year old. I follow along to dvds on my laptop or spare tv while my little guy gets his disney junior fix for the day. He was 1.5 when I started my journey, so my routine was a bit different then. I joined a generic version of Stroller Stride, which is an outdoor work with your baby in a stroller. It was a great time with fun ladies, but more of a workout than just pushing the stroller. On days that we didn't have Stroller Stride, I followed along with Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos and had the baby in a front carrier. It added extra weight for a few more calories burned, and had the benefit of the baby falling asleep occasionally. If you have the money available you can also look for a gym that has child care
  • mekuhl8910
    Options
    I'm a sahm to a 4 month old and I workout during her nap time, but since your son doesn't nap, maybe you can get him to "workout" with you! My friends son used to love watching her n I do this DVD together a couple years ago, maybe it will work. Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    agusia_b wrote: »
    Can you get up earlier than your son in AM and do a workout video? Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is only 20 min and all 3 levels are available free on Youtube. Many people had great results with her workouts. I used to do them regularly when I had no access to a gym.

Or after bedtime.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Babysitting coop or informal swap with a friend or neighbour one of you plays with the 2 kids-the other does a video workout-in a different room-then swap
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Walking with the stroller is great! Are you just bored and wanting to switch it up?

Videos are good. Try YouTube.

Pinterest is also a good source of info for at-home exercise regimes.

Check your local community centre for inexpensive classes.

Also once your kiddo is a bit older, go to the park with a soccer ball and you can both get a workout. Or play tag or have a race. Those little monkeys are super fast!
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Babysitting coop or informal swap with a friend or neighbour one of you plays with the 2 kids-the other does a video workout-in a different room-then swap

Love this idea!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Step one is a benadryl smoothie for junior.

Then you can do one year old curls, squats, deadlifts etc.