Want to start lifting...BUT....

Options
groversa
groversa Posts: 450 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a exercise room at my apartment and it has a weight machine that I do use, but I know it is better to do free weights. I want to start lifting as my main work out but don't know where to start. I need to find a gym and will most likely go with a cheaper one because I'm a poor college student, but I know I'm going to be scared from that point on. Everyone cracks jokes when people aren't lifting accurately, well, I've never done it so I won't know what I'm doing. I don't have money for a personal trainer and don't have many friends who would be willing to help. Advice please?

Replies

• Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym, just ask somebody else whos lifting. It happens to me almost everyday right now during busy season. Most wont mind, and love helping people!
  • Fit_4_life_502
    Options
    I know what you mean, I did not know where to start and was self conscious lifting in the gym. Lucky for me I met my boyfriend a personal trainer and bodybuilder who helped teach me how to lift properly. Form is very important, so I suggest watching fitness model videos on YouTube to get down form. I have also attached my transformation pics to show why lifting is so important.953ms3nt5i5c.jpg
    a5g0iol4j97o.jpg
    37haaxlln8lj.jpg
    skaqjtwrzcfs.jpg
    7t6jh4qdpzce.jpg
    9raswnwwigsy.jpg
    m1az91gpx1x8.jpg
    groversa wrote: »
    I have a exercise room at my apartment and it has a weight machine that I do use, but I know it is better to do free weights. I want to start lifting as my main work out but don't know where to start. I need to find a gym and will most likely go with a cheaper one because I'm a poor college student, but I know I'm going to be scared from that point on. Everyone cracks jokes when people aren't lifting accurately, well, I've never done it so I won't know what I'm doing. I don't have money for a personal trainer and don't have many friends who would be willing to help. Advice please?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    who cracks jokes when people are not lifting accurately????? I have been going to a gym for three years, and I hardly every notice what anyone else is doing; and if they are doing something wrong I just shrug and keep doing what i am doing..

i suggest you get on a structured program like strong lifts, 5x5, or new rules of lifting for woman or something like that...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The gym can be intimidating at first, for sure -- but I promise you that once you go a few times, you'll realize there's really nothing to be scared of. People are doing their own thing and rarely paying attention to what others are doing. As for inexpensive options, does your school have a fitness center?

You mention you don't have many friends that could help you, but all you need is one! In my experience, people really like to share their expertise, so you have nothing to lose by asking. Also, many gyms offer one free PT session when you join, so you could use that to get an intro to correct form.

Finally, there are some really great books / websites out there that you can use to learn about form and find beginner programs. I would recommend:
    - "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler
    - "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (who also has a great website and helpful videos)
    - StrongLifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com/5x5)

Every woman I know who lifts says they wish they'd started earlier -- myself included! -- so just go do it! You won't regret it! :)

And a couple more words of advice:
    - Your scale may very well go a little wonky when you start lifting due to water retention. Don't worry about it -- this will even out after a few weeks.
    - Take your starting measurements and a set of "before" pics, and then do another set every month or so. These will be better indications of how your body is changing than the scale, and you'll be glad you have them.

(Posted at the same time as above poster. Sorry for the repeat info.)
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimated by people in your local gym, they'll be too busy doing their own thing to start cracking jokes. What I would suggest is to get yourself a notepad and get yourself online. You Tube, Instagram and Facebook have a load of fitness people on them sharing videos all the time. Even after years of training in the gym I still find new ideas and motivation online. Be sure to take notes though about technique and have a set list of what you want to try before you step foot inside the gym. That way you won't be put off by walking around aimlessy when you get there. And make yourself an awesome playlist, I know if I forget my headphones my training session is screwed from the start lol hope this helps. Steph.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    who cracks jokes when people are not lifting accurately????? I have been going to a gym for three years, and I hardly every notice what anyone else is doing; and if they are doing something wrong I just shrug and keep doing what i am doing..

i suggest you get on a structured program like strong lifts, 5x5, or new rules of lifting for woman or something like that...

everyone. dude, the fitness forums are full of people posting fail gifs and pictures. youtube "gym fails" i know you've seen it. honestly, i don't blame people that are intimidated to go to the gym. it sucks now that everyone has a camera in their pockets at all times.

and even without that, one time i went to the gym with my gym buddy one morning at 530am. her and i were following 5/3/1 and it was my OHP day. i OHP in the squat rack, and then move on to do bench Boring but Big, which i superset with pull ups. so basically i've used three stations, and using two of them simultaneously.

while i'm in the middle of the supersetting, i hear another guy and girl saying how they get better work outs than others because they stay in one area at the gym. they stay at the astroturf area and are gym hoarders (you know, they have 15 pieces of equipment around them). i had to stop mid-pull up to laugh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Heh. Everyone at the gym thinks their works are more valid. It's ccomical actually.

And yes. It happens people judge... Reality? Who cares.

It isn't about you. Move onsdrop your damn workou. I know people laugh so me... I do a whole hip opening yoga run through between my warm up sets at the trac.

And in between accessory lifts, I'm dancing. Like. Dancing for real, practicing combo's from class or working on a new piece... not a slow jam side to side like your in a packed club. People laugh.

So what? I workout. I have fun. Boom. Done.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just a piece of general life advice... Don't give a crap what other people think. Do what you need to do.

And particularly as a female, it's easy to find a gym rat to take you under thier wing. Just ask.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

everyone. dude, the fitness forums are full of people posting fail gifs and pictures. youtube "gym fails" i know you've seen it. honestly, i don't blame people that are intimidated to go to the gym. it sucks now that everyone has a camera in their pockets at all times.

and even without that, one time i went to the gym with my gym buddy one morning at 530am. her and i were following 5/3/1 and it was my OHP day. i OHP in the squat rack, and then move on to do bench Boring but Big, which i superset with pull ups. so basically i've used three stations, and using two of them simultaneously.

while i'm in the middle of the supersetting, i hear another guy and girl saying how they get better work outs than others because they stay in one area at the gym. they stay at the astroturf area and are gym hoarders (you know, they have 15 pieces of equipment around them). i had to stop mid-pull up to laugh.

I guess I am just wrapped up in my own world when I am lifting..

I will notice bad form but I don't crack jokes…I guess I am an outlier…
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Heh. Everyone at the gym thinks their works are more valid. It's ccomical actually.

And yes. It happens people judge... Reality? Who cares.

It isn't about you. Move onsdrop your damn workou. I know people laugh so me... I do a whole hip opening yoga run through between my warm up sets at the trac.

And in between accessory lifts, I'm dancing. Like. Dancing for real, practicing combo's from class or working on a new piece... not a slow jam side to side like your in a packed club. People laugh.

So what? I workout. I have fun. Boom. Done.

I do this, too, almost exactly! (Except I'm totally uncoordinated, so my frenzied dancing is probably a lot more laugh-worthy than yours). I lift in my basement, so only the walls can mock my sweet moves. But, still. If I went to your gym, id totally do a few Pigeon poses with you, and you could even shake your head sadly at my sweet moves. ("Is she being electrocuted? No, I think she's dancing. Good god! Is that the Sprinkler?)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and holy jesus I shouldn't be allowed to post full thoughts on my phone- what a TERRIBLE post. oiy vey- so sorry folks.

LOL- I do all sorts of ridiculous things- it is what it is.

I'll totally bust a sprinkler for you next time. I pick a lot of apples when I dance mmhmmm LOL
  • groversa
    Options
    Does anyone recommend getting weights to do at home rather than pay for a gym membership?
  • groversa
    Options
    If so ^^ What type should I be looking for?
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would recommend just finding a cheap, no frills gym vs. buying your own weights. I like seeing the other people at the gym b/c it's motivating for me. But everyone is different. I totally think you could ask someone at the gym to help with form. Also, you could ask someone at the front desk. Most of them know what they're doing. I understand being intimidated, but you just have to think that most everyone feels that way in the beginning. I do all kinds of lifting at my gym including deadlifts where my rear is bending over. Sure I'm self conscious b/c I have quite a bubble butt but I'm never going to build lean muscle if I'm worried about what other people think.
  • groversa
    Options
    The only part of doing the membership verses my own is the money, honestly I'm a broke college student, buying healthy foods is expensive enough haha. Most gyms that are close to me are around $35 a month or higher, except for Planet fitness, but I read that they don't really have weights to use.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sorry - this is a bit off topic but was wondering if I my goal is to lower overall body fat (currently between 22-23 % and want to get to19%), should I eat at slight deficit or maintenance while lifting? I do get some cardio in and lift heavy 4x a week.
  • bahiablk
    bahiablk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I've found is most people are nice in the gym. Pick somebody who looks in good shape and ask questions. Make some friends. My only judgement of people in the gym is they don't have a plan. Have a planned workout, follow it, ask advice of the big beefy guy or trim and taut girl at the next station. They'll be flattered. But don't talk too long. The gym is for work, not socializing.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Does anyone recommend getting weights to do at home rather than pay for a gym membership?

In this similar vein, I'm working on incorporating the Nerd Fitness beginner stuff to my exercise at home since I don't have the funds to really gym it up. (My town has a free sports complex for residents, actually, but the gas to get to it on the outskirts of town is unrealistic at this time.)

Lifting for the sake of it isn't necessarily my overall goal (I'm easily bored by it) but I recognize the value it has in being overall healthier and stronger. So, you know, it's getting folded into a new routine.

I don't really have any practical advice -- I just feel your pain as to being intimidated and not knowing where to start.
  • donutlifter107
    Options
    The only part of doing the membership verses my own is the money, honestly I'm a broke college student, buying healthy foods is expensive enough haha. Most gyms that are close to me are around $35 a month or higher, except for Planet fitness, but I read that they don't really have weights to use.

I think the monetary investment depends on your lifting goals. A typical squat rack can cost from maybe $300ish-$600+ give or take (OR some people make their own), and then you also have to invest in some weights for the rack. So if you want to lift long term, buying stuff for a home gym might be a great investment. I'm a fresh-out-of-college student and magically make enough money to afford LA Fitness (one of the $35 places that has actual squat racks and a power rack, boo on Planet Fitness for having a crummy selection). If you lift for over a year, the rack will pay for itself since the membership is going to be ~$400 for the year. The weights, however, are more money, and all of it takes up space at home. It's all about what you think you'll invest.

Personally, as a slightly poor pseudo adult, springing for the $35/month gym works because I lift 3-4 days a week for 1-2 hours per session, plus cardio. It's convenient, so I pay a bit more out the butt for it. Just my two cents!

As for lifting programs to start with... Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Actually mostly Starting Strength. And all of Mark Rippetoe's vids on Youtube. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Doesn't your college have a gym for students to use? Back when I was a collegiate whippersnapper we used to joke that tuition included a gym membership including pool and sauna. The weight room was usually reserved for a few hours in the afternoon for various athletic teams, but there were several open hours for all students every day. Of course, this was so long ago that the Stairmaster looked like a 4 step escalator, so, you know, maybe they don't do that anymore.
This discussion has been closed.