Getting sick: What do you count?

Options
So, I'm at work, and had planned on eating dinner when I got home to get the final 600 calories in for the day. But then, Someone called out sick(again) and I am now pulling a double without any way to get some healthy food.
I work in a hotel, so we have little snakes like single servings of mac and cheese, chips, soda, and candy.

I hate to do it, but I ate a mac and cheese(220cals), and an apple(about 140cal) i had in my purse(i always carry something healthy just in case i get the nibbles) hoping it'd be enough. Sadly, i was still short over 300 calories. So I ate a baby ruth, figuring it was the healthiest choice out of all the candies since it has protein from the peanuts.
About 15 minutes later, i could feel my stomach rolling. I haven't had any artificial sugar in more then two weeks, and i don't think my body liked it.
So needless to say I got sick and threw up.
Now my question is.
Should I remove the candy bar from my calorie intake, and plan on making up those calories? Or should I leave it? I know I also threw up some of the apple, but i had ate that about an hour before so im hoping i digested enough to get the calories out of it.
Any ideas?

Replies

• astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You’re throwing up - eat food that nourishes your body that you can hold down and worry about calories a different day.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That's a toughie. Assuming most of it came up yes I would eat something else to make up for it. That's just me.
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah see i cant really figure it out. I usually do eat nutritious food, but i had to make do. I dont think i'll be able to eat more tonight because now my stomach is rolling. I was going to have some tea, but that is no calories. So I'm kind of stumped. Maybe an extra multivitamin?
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Taking a multi without food could upset your stomach more if it isn't a food based multi. Id avoid it.
  • bobbichristine
    Options
    Well, I'm stumped then on what to do. I dont want to eat, and then be sick again. This is why I don't eat candy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no- I wouldn't take an extra multi- they are doubious at best in their results- so taking two doesn't mean anything.

Honestly when you're GI track kind of sick- eat what you can and call it a win. I eat closer to maintance when I'm sick- I want to make sure my body has tools to fight whatever crude I have- I tend to eat a lot of soup- grilled cheese and ice cream when I'm upper/resp/head cold sick- and pretty much saltines and ginger ale and bread for tummy aches- nothing crazy.

eat what you can- but if you wind up low- it's not going to kill you.
  • bobbichristine
    Options
    Yeah. i think i'll just have to suck it up and be low today. I just hate being at 700 calories. Its out of my comfort zone. I'll just nibble on a piece of wheat toast when i get home before I crash. Its the best i'll be able to do.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Eat what you can keep down--even if it is only wheat toast. Don't worry about how many calories you eat right now; that can wait another day.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could also try some chicken broth, it’s easy to sip. Stir in a whisked egg and you’ve got some fats and protein to perk you up.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    There's just way too much drama and stress going on about this. Don't eat anything else unless it's something that's going to calm your stomach.

Leave the candy bar in your macros or take it out. It doesn't matter. They are just numbers. The world won't stop turning or crash into the sun because you made the wrong choice in counting it or not. It was just one night and won't make any measurable difference in your progress. 300 calories + or - isn't that big of a deal unless you're doing it every night.

If you drive your own car to work then put a can of soup or some other such thing in the glove compartment for such instances. If you don't then work must have a break area or something you can stash a few packaged things like canned soup or similar for cases of emergency.

• bobbichristine
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    There's just way too much drama and stress going on about this. Don't eat anything else unless it's something that's going to calm your stomach.

Leave the candy bar in your macros or take it out. It doesn't matter. They are just numbers. The world won't stop turning or crash into the sun because you made the wrong choice in counting it or not. It was just one night and won't make any measurable difference in your progress. 300 calories + or - isn't that big of a deal unless you're doing it every night.

If you drive your own car to work then put a can of soup or some other such thing in the glove compartment for such instances. If you don't then work must have a break area or something you can stash a few packaged things like canned soup or similar for cases of emergency.

I would do the soup thing, but see, I live in the northeast. Like, on the canadian border. We have -40f Days. So that would just be a disaster. But I am trying to eat. It seems to be a stomach virus, because i haven't been able to keep anything down since last night. I'm going to make some soup or something soupy(aka hamburger helper) when i get home and have a little of it, hoping to be able to keep it down.