Plank

Options
I have started doing a 20 second plank hold for the last 5 days Sometimes I do 2 per day. I need to tighten my stomach muscles so I thought this would help (I hate exercising but the plank seems doable)

Replies

• Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Plank Challenge on Monday so I'm up to 45 seconds. No idea how I'll manage when it gets to 2 minutes plus but will try my best. I like it because it requires little time and no equipment. I definitely felt it in my stomach muscles the first few days but not so much now, no doubt those familiar aches will reappear as the times get longer.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Once you can hold a plank for 30-60 seconds you need to make it dynamic for it to improve your fitness

Also you can't spot reduce .."tight abdominals" are basically down to building muscle and being lean enough to see it
  • mrskayswooley2013
    mrskayswooley2013 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I need to start doing those again to
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Once you can hold a plank for 30-60 seconds you need to make it dynamic for it to improve your fitness

Can you elaborate on 'dynamic' please? Like incorporating it into a squat or burpee or something? I also swim and gym 3/4 times a week so, for me, the planking isn't in isolation. I like the 'challenge' aspect of fitness (little goals stop me getting bored) so that's another reason I'm doing the 30 day thing.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    12minuteathlete.com/8-plank-variations-super-strong-core/

Here's some but there's loads of ways to make the core plank effective
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    There is really no benefit in static plank duration building, that only means you can hold a plank for longer really