Losing weight for medical reasons

Options
DianePK
DianePK Posts: 122 Member
I have to lose 38kg to take any unnecessary weight off my knee joint, which has severe degradation of the cartilage, because, according to John Hopkins "Being only 10 pounds overweight increases the force on the knee by 30-60 pounds with each step." So my goal is to lose the weight before I have the next surgery to ensure a more successful outcome.

Does anyone else here have a medical reason to lose weight, as opposed to just wanting to look good in swimmers (which I want too).

Replies

• elena66t
    Options
    Yes, Im diabetic and need to loose 125. If affecting my eyes and is scary so i have made a decision to no let this overweight get control of my life
  • kierandxb
    kierandxb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes at 60 years of age having gone from 75kg at 35 to 145+Kgs and just recently had a wake-up call on a hospital gurney its time to take control of my life. I have had one knee replaced and the second is now at the stage were a replacement is not far away. I have since the wake-up call lost just over 5kgs, but need to keep this momentum going. First target is end 130Kgs by the end of Feb. After that who knows.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I had a major heart health scare that motivated all of this in the first place. I was only 21 at the time. I've since lost 59lbs (aiming for another 20-25 more), and the doctors have figured out it was not as serious as it seemed in the first place. That experience made me very determined to do this though - and habit has made it easy, too.
  • DianePK
    Options
    elena66t wrote: »
    Yes, Im diabetic and need to loose 125. If affecting my eyes and is scary so i have made a decision to no let this overweight get control of my life

That would be scary. Losing weight is hard but so is what you are going through. I wish you well on this journey. Just remember if you fall down, don't give up. Dust off the knees and keep moving in the right direction : )
  • DianePK
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    I had a major heart health scare that motivated all of this in the first place. I was only 21 at the time. I've since lost 59lbs (aiming for another 20-25 more), and the doctors have figured out it was not as serious as it seemed in the first place. That experience made me very determined to do this though - and habit has made it easy, too.

Wow that's great you have lost so much weight. Very inspiring. I hope your heart is happy now.

• DianePK
    Options
    kierandxb wrote: »
    Yes at 60 years of age having gone from 75kg at 35 to 145+Kgs and just recently had a wake-up call on a hospital gurney its time to take control of my life. I have had one knee replaced and the second is now at the stage were a replacement is not far away. I have since the wake-up call lost just over 5kgs, but need to keep this momentum going. First target is end 130Kgs by the end of Feb. After that who knows.

It's the knee replacement that spurred me to take action, since it is such a serious operation and would mean having to take things easy for the rest of my life.

I am only 45 and am not ready to slow down. I have had to at the moment due to pain, but imagining that for the rest of my life is too much.

If losing weight will get a result, then that's the way forward for me.

Keep up with those goals, you will feel so much better.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am

I am diabetic need to lose 134lbs if you want to add me as a friend I also have very high blood pressure I started Tuesday maybe we can help each other
  • rbentrup81
    rbentrup81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just had a very scary health issue. I'm moving to more healthy foods & lifestyle, and losing weight will also be very beneficial.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was told I'm at risk for fertility issues. I'm 23 and I don't want kids yet (not for a few years), but I want to be healthy when I eventually do start trying to have a family.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here's a search from YT that might interest:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keto+diet+diabetes
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Type II diabetes was finally what lit the fire under my *kitten* to do something about my weight and health. After a bit of weight loss, it improved enough that I no longer require meds and according to my bi-yearly A1C checks from my doctor, no longer diabetic have been this way for over 2 years now. I discovered some stuff along the way like I have broken bones in both of my ankles!

Of the two, the right one is worse. I have very tiny broken specks in the lower tibia area, so small that you need a special xray magnified like 100X to be able to see them. My doctor says neuropathy in my feet masked the pain for the longest time. It wasn't until I improved with my diabetes that I began feeling pain. I manage it with steroid shots to the ankle and they last for almost 1 year before I need another one. I also have osteoarthritis in both feet and may need surgery when I get older. The less weight I carry of course, the better it is for my feet.

Aside from all that, I have slowly developed vanity reasons too. In the past, I never cared for clothes or looking nice. I was wearing size 54 pants and 5XL shirts. Big & Tall stores had clothes that fit, sure, but it doesn't look all that great. Now, I'm still some what limited with clothes because of my height, but my selection has definitely increased and I kind enjoy that I am no longer limited to only buying online because stores didn't carry my size.
  • rbullis
    rbullis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A diagosis of Type II diabetes has kicked me in the butt. Although I knew I had a propensity for it due to my family history, I slacked off, let the weight build up, and now I have been told I need to be on medication. 58 years old and probably 50 pound overweight. Last time I followed MFP I lost 40 pounds, so here I go again.
  • elena66t
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »

That would be scary. Losing weight is hard but so is what you are going through. I wish you well on this journey. Just remember if you fall down, don't give up. Dust off the knees and keep moving in the right direction : )

Thanks and hard work pays off im 9.4 lbs down
  • elena66t
    Options
    I am

I am diabetic need to lose 134lbs if you want to add me as a friend I also have very high blood pressure I started Tuesday maybe we can help each other

We can do it and im here to help each other. I add u hope we can help each other
  • elena66t
    Options
    I was told I'm at risk for fertility issues. I'm 23 and I don't want kids yet (not for a few years), but I want to be healthy when I eventually do start trying to have a family.
    Well overweight does affect i went through the same problem when I want to have kids. Make ur u are seeing a doctor so when the time comes ur ready.
  • elena66t
    Options
    rbullis wrote: »
    A diagosis of Type II diabetes has kicked me in the butt. Although I knew I had a propensity for it due to my family history, I slacked off, let the weight build up, and now I have been told I need to be on medication. 58 years old and probably 50 pound overweight. Last time I followed MFP I lost 40 pounds, so here I go again.

Well we can help each other u can add
    Me if u want.
  • elena66t
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Type II diabetes was finally what lit the fire under my *kitten* to do something about my weight and health. After a bit of weight loss, it improved enough that I no longer require meds and according to my bi-yearly A1C checks from my doctor, no longer diabetic have been this way for over 2 years now. I discovered some stuff along the way like I have broken bones in both of my ankles!

Of the two, the right one is worse. I have very tiny broken specks in the lower tibia area, so small that you need a special xray magnified like 100X to be able to see them. My doctor says neuropathy in my feet masked the pain for the longest time. It wasn't until I improved with my diabetes that I began feeling pain. I manage it with steroid shots to the ankle and they last for almost 1 year before I need another one. I also have osteoarthritis in both feet and may need surgery when I get older. The less weight I carry of course, the better it is for my feet.

Aside from all that, I have slowly developed vanity reasons too. In the past, I never cared for clothes or looking nice. I was wearing size 54 pants and 5XL shirts. Big & Tall stores had clothes that fit, sure, but it doesn't look all that great. Now, I'm still some what limited with clothes because of my height, but my selection has definitely increased and I kind enjoy that I am no longer limited to only buying online because stores didn't carry my size.
    Well i was on similar situation i also have a immune system disorder and have been taking presione sience 2004 so is a i change or i will be in and out hospital. But thaks for sharing
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as insulin resistant last April, which is what started me on this path. I've lost 65 pounds and last Monday, my doctor told me that I could stop taking my metformin now. :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of cancer in my family, and apparently one of the biggest factors that you can control (for the 2 main types I am at high risk for in my genetic pool) is weight. So for me, that is definitely a consideration.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as insulin resistant last April, which is what started me on this path. I've lost 65 pounds and last Monday, my doctor told me that I could stop taking my metformin now. :)

Similar experience here. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in 2012. I lost 20 kg and was told I could stop taking metformin. I have been free of medication for a year and a half now, and my last hba1c was 4.7.