Half Marathon Training!

Options
2»

Replies

• revphillips
    revphillips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Some of the Gu and others make me want to vomit. I like the Gatorade Chews, and I would pop one in every 1.5 to 2 miles. They are pretty small, but it was enough. Around mile 8 I felt light headed so I popped three in, and I was fine. I also ran with a small water bottle, but also took advantage of EVERY water station. That way the small water bottle I had could be used for in between.

Best of luck!
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing my first HM. I have never been a runner but found OCR's to be a great way to challenge myself. Plus with obstacles every 1/2 mile or so, it gave me breaks. lol Last year I did a Century ride and loved it. So on to the next bucket list activity. You say the Disney Half Marathon is in May, I only see it for September. Maybe I am missing it. At any rate, I will be following this forum as it is giving some great tips. As for gels, I used Hammer Gel for my Century and they kept me going. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend. Happy Feet!
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'll look into the Hammer Gels, I haven't tried them. The Gu's I never want within sight ever again. The thought makes me gag. Bad times. I have tried the Gatorade chews before but not with running so I'll try those out. Yay for things to eat while running!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started!

On the note of nutrition during running - for a half marathon, its mostly unnecessary to mess around with gels and the like. If you want something to use as a bump, go for it, but if you are fueling your runs properly, you should be good for 2-3ish hours of running before the tank is empty. A gel every 2 miles would just be ridiculous (and expensive).

If you do want to try the gels, get a variety. They all have different consistencies (Hammer and Powergel work the best for me - those are both on the liquid side. Gu and Clifshots are more like frosting and I find that gross). Some things like chocolate and coffee can sound great before a run, but taste like liquid barf at mile 10, so try things out. I would stay away from bars and the like. Its difficult to digest protein on the run, and the high fiber of something like a Questbar could lead to some difficult GI situations.

I use a Ultimate Direction handheld for shorter runs, and a Nathan 2L hydration pack for longer runs. I won't take either during a race since there are aid stations. If you plan on using a sports drink, check out what the race offers, and then train with that, so you don't get an unpleasant shock to your stomach on race day.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started!

On the note of nutrition during running - for a half marathon, its mostly unnecessary to mess around with gels and the like. If you want something to use as a bump, go for it, but if you are fueling your runs properly, you should be good for 2-3ish hours of running before the tank is empty. A gel every 2 miles would just be ridiculous (and expensive).

If you do want to try the gels, get a variety. They all have different consistencies (Hammer and Powergel work the best for me - those are both on the liquid side. Gu and Clifshots are more like frosting and I find that gross). Some things like chocolate and coffee can sound great before a run, but taste like liquid barf at mile 10, so try things out. I would stay away from bars and the like. Its difficult to digest protein on the run, and the high fiber of something like a Questbar could lead to some difficult GI situations.

I use a Ultimate Direction handheld for shorter runs, and a Nathan 2L hydration pack for longer runs. I won't take either during a race since there are aid stations. If you plan on using a sports drink, check out what the race offers, and then train with that, so you don't get an unpleasant shock to your stomach on race day.

This was super super helpful actually.. Thank you! I really appreciate it!
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do long distance running. Right now I'm more focused on my cycling, but I run to cross-train since I'm in the military and it's required that I run. Feel free to add me if you're looking for running friends :)
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hi! just starting to train for my first half! It's in April here in Colorado. I following the Hal Higdon half marathon novice training program. I'm nervous as well but I have to try!!!! Started running last spring and love it even though I took Dec. off so now I'm trying to build up my endurance again! anyway if you'd like a running friend FR me :-)

<3
    Ang