Do you use a fitness tracker?

Options
124»

Replies

• lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    @melissaka7‌ even when i do cardio i wear it. it will keep track of your HR the entire work out, not just when you want to check it. i wear it during lifting and even warm up. i like to look down at the end and see what i burned. for me its the best and i've tried a ton from the mio to the garmin to the fit bit i've tested quite a few. always go back to the ft7

So the Polar Ft7 can be worn all day long and it tracks calories burned for cardio, weight lifting, warm ups, everything?

No, it isn't designed to be worn all day.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    cmbauer99 wrote: »
    Even if the calorie burn is off, just be smart about it. Just cause I ran 4 miles and it says I burned 500 calories doenst mean I am going to eat another 500 calories. I just use it for motivation and numbers. I usually dont eat back any calories. I stay within my range no matter my exericse for the day. Its purely motivational for me. Plus I like gadgets not spreadsheets online. Hahaha

Absolutely!!!! I know a lot of times calories are overestimated. I don't usually eat back my calories anyway (I'm not trying to lose weight anymore). It's just nice to get a general idea of how much I've burned to see if I've worked hard or could work out harder the next time. I think I might also get a pedometer just for the fun of it. I don't think they're that expensive.

I just think that at this time in my "fitness journey" a fitbit isn't what I need. I think I'm going with an HRM. I try to eat X amount of calories a day (not going to enter that because I don't want to start a calorie war) and work out 5-6 days a week for 30-45 minutes a day. I'm working on cutting back back on certain "bad food" items. By that I mean moderating my Starbucks and diet coke addication. I believe in moderation & portion control, and trying to be as active as I can!!!
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with the new TomTom multisport watch thingy???
    Looking in to getting a fitness tracker.... will do some reading of all posts above, see what i can find out
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »

Personally I ue a Garmin triathlon device, but dcrainmaker has reviewed the TomTom and suggests it's adequate. The main observation that I've seen is that the functionality doesn't eork well in parallel, it'll do one thing reasonably well at a time.

TT make capable GPS devices so it's a decent, if limited, bit of kit.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »

Personally I ue a Garmin triathlon device, but dcrainmaker has reviewed the TomTom and suggests it's adequate. The main observation that I've seen is that the functionality doesn't eork well in parallel, it'll do one thing reasonably well at a time.

TT make capable GPS devices so it's a decent, if limited, bit of kit.

Cheers for the reply....
  • ItsMe0909
    Options
    melissaka7 wrote: »
    I think I'm going with an HRM.

I bought a Wahoo Tickr X in mid Dec. I also just bought a Polar H7, for my husband - who hasnt used it yet. I really like the Wahoo.

Here's my comparison:
    When it arrived:
    Wahoo: Very little instruction, but very easy to get going.
    Polar: A bit more info, no problems to setup & pair.

Straps:
    Wahoo-wins. You connect it by snapping into position. Very secure. One and done.
    Polar-sucks. Being that it's winter, the HRM is going under the shirt to be positioned. The strap connection is supposed to be slid under the connector, but it takes several tries to keep it together or I have to take my shirt off to make sure I have a good pinch on the strap connection while getting it into place. When in place; very secure.

HRM Itself:
    Wahoo, starts showing bpm without the aid of any moisture gel (for me). Pre-sweat. A review of this brand by another review blog confirmed same.
    Polar; needs moisture to get a reading, as advertised.
    Both read same bpm. In several articles I've read; the consensus is that any, even cheaper HRMs are considered very accurate.

Apps:
    Wahoo; as with any app (ever); there's no operating instructions... which is kind of annoying. I've used it the most because I've had it the longest. I do like it the best. It has a lot of detail, fairly intuitive once you get used to where everything is located.
    Polar: A slanted view as I've only used a couple of times. Again, no info on how to best utilize. The audio countdown sounds like an elf with his cookies in a vice and makes me feel a bit on edge before my workout. A more relaxed professional voice should have been chosen. I havent figured out how to properly set up the audio cues. At this time; I've only gotten the elf to give me a countdown.

My favorite app to use during my workout is RunKeeper. It has audio cues for start time countdown, a rundown every 5 mins with current HR, avg HR and HR zone. It's the only app I've found for stationary activities. I'm using it for my home gym of treadmill, row machine & stepper - 7 days a week.

For some reason yesterday; I had difficulty with both HRMs. Maybe it was hackers. But, the one that came to life first was the Polar. I got it set up in the Wahoo app; which was a surprise and nice because it will send info to Apple Health for my daily HRM data. It also talked to RunKeeper while on the Stairmaster. I havent gotten Polar to talk to Apple Health yet. ?

Also, as a result of this and the other most recent HRM post; I decided to get an activity tracker. What the heck; it's been a week since I last accessorized this new fitness mission. I deliberated for 2+ weeks. I really wanted Fitbit, was mad about their decision not to share data with Apple Health. But, on this, I caved and will have my Fitbit One this Friday. They did lose out though on the Aria. I was seconds away from an impulse purchase of the Aria Smart Scale. Only to find on the reviews, 8 pages deep; that it wouldnt talk to Apple.

The Apple Health app inspired me to start logging my weight, further reading lead me to MFP as one of the most popular ways to log my calories. As a result, since first week of Dec (12/08 start date), I have lost 6 pounds. I am using my HRM data and calorie info directionally. I know none are exact.

My biggest problem has been sodium, and not what I am adding. Its in EVERYTHING. But, I digress. Try the Wahoo. You've already tried Polar multiple times. :}

• miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a Withing Pulse 02. I like it for the sleep function but the device is actually a bit unreliable - the touchscreen doesn't always work. Often I have to sync it to my phone and then restart it to get the sleep icon and other touch features to activate. It's not waterproof but does have a heartrate function which only really takes your resting heartrate - it's not a continuous monitor.

I guess it did show me that I do way less steps around the house than I thought I did but it's not really great for any other cardio activity other than running (eg stationary bike, dancing). Still I like it.
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    I use a chest strap HRM to help keep me in the 85% zone. Not really interested in the amount of calories burned, just that they're in the flammable stage. And then once in a rare while, I hit max 161.
  • k8einsheff
    Options
    Hi Melissa. I myself also could nt work out which to buy. I have today purchased the nuband active plus wristband which i am extremely happy with. We went for a 2.5mile walk and the steps / distance was very accurate. The price was also great. U can set step goals and also see calories burnt. There is an app to syn the wristband with to keep a log (unfortunately doesnt like with myfitness :( ) i am yet to test the sleep tracker i will do this tonight ;)
  • beatrizrivera520
    beatrizrivera520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks @lorigem
  • sdpicard
    sdpicard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the HRM that are on your wrist they have been proven time and time again to be very in accurate.
    Not sure if this is what you mean by on your wrist, but I have read great things about this HRM that is an arm band, not a chest strap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQHTJS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Even if the calorie burn is off, just be smart about it. Just cause I ran 4 miles and it says I burned 500 calories doenst mean I am going to eat another 500 calories. I just use it for motivation and numbers. I usually dont eat back any calories. I stay within my range no matter my exericse for the day. Its purely motivational for me. Plus I like gadgets not spreadsheets online. Hahaha

Be my friend...I like your replies!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit charge. I saw little benefit, and took it back.
  • laperegrina18
    laperegrina18 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Flex and love it. I tend to use it most to motivate me to take more steps I now have my daily goal set at 12000 which I meet most days
    I've recently got a new treadmill which I love I've linked Fitbit to MFP use the sleep cycle app to monitor my sleep pattern as I feel it gives a more accurate reading
    I tend to use 1/2 to 2/3 of my exercise calories daily
    I feel the mix of FitBit treadmill and MFP is perfect
  • lnpjersey1
    Options
    melissaka7 wrote: »
    Like fitbit, jawbone, polar hrm, garmin, etc? What do you like about it? What all does it do?

I've researched these damn things to death and cannot decide if I need one. I work a sedentary job, but I do fitness vidoes like Insanity, T25, PiYo, and Insanity Max:30. I also weight train 2 days a week. My wants are something that tells me how many calories I've burned either through the whole day or just during my work outs. I'd also like to know how many steps I've taken. I just don't know if I really need something or not.

• lnpjersey1
    Options
    Good Morning All,

I received at FitBit Charge for Christmas and have used it since Dec. 30th. I really enjoy the reporting of daily steps, calorie burn ect. I wear it during Spin class and my new workout obsession, Orange Theory. I plan to continue to use it because it brings awareness to what you're doing every day.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Jawbone UP24 but I can't uncheck the box next to Do not track steps on MFP ap on my Samsung S4. Been looking at support questions from others with the same issue. But no response with a solution.
  • Nyxks
    Nyxks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit flex for over a year I've passed it down to my wife to use as I've upgraded to the charge (until I'm shipped the HR version - there was a mix up).

But ice been using my timex hrm since 2006 along with my omoron pedometer n well found the flex to be decent for the cost (was cheaper then my pedometer n hrm combined). But like all things they have their ups and downs if all u need is steps counted n nothing else a basic 5.00 pedometer will serve just as well in general n might be just as accurate as any of the phone based ones on e market.