My own negative thoughts about myself

Options

Sooo I went for a walk this morning knowing it would likely start raining and it did but I kept walking.

About half way through I had this thought, "this walk is not going to help much in the grand scheme of things, you have so much to lose, you are larger than everyone else out this morning, why bother, etc" you get the picture.

I pushed those thoughts away and repeated "just today, just concentrate on today and enjoy your walk" and I did! Came home soaking wet but feeling great. Errr those darn negative thoughts!

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Way to turn those thoughts around! So many people get discouraged because of negative self talk and they make no progress because they are in the habit of doing it. Good for you. I am glad you enjoyed your walk!
  • JLoRuthie
    JLoRuthie Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is why its one day at a time or just set weekly ragets till you build some confidence up. Rncourage yourself and fidn the balance between pushing yourself but not beating yourself up for expected stalls. Good for pushing through though.

The other thing I would do is learn about weight loss and that means reading up.

You think walk of say 350 calories does no good for you, but the facts say walk that much 5x a week, then not only will you improve your level of fitness by moving more it will help get rid of 1/2lb a week, which is c 2lb a month. Thats just simple math and puts it into perspective. That could be c24lb a year. Just keep it in perspective with being realistic and the negative voices will have less effect. Focus on the day to day and the rest takes care of itself.
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    Thank you, you are correct!
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You're totally worth it. Never give up on yourself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Good job pushing through.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    That is great! Smiling for you!
  • Parsons88
    Parsons88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have very negative self talk. It's hard but great job pushing through. You are worth it!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have negative self talk too, but once the weight started coming off, I gained more confidence, and the negative thoughts decreased somewhat. That helps along the way as negative begins to be replaced by positive. Way to stick with it.. you're on your way.
  • blizzardsmom
    blizzardsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We all have negative thoughts. Push them aside, they aren't doing you any good.

Exercise releases positive endorphins in the brain. In this world we can all use more positiveness1
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Great job pushing through! It DOES matter in the grand scheme of things. You may have "so much" to lose, but how else to lose it then eating well and getting some exercise in! We all have negative thoughts. I have been there and done that too. Asking myself, oh why bother, its not gonna do much anyways.... But finally, I started pushing those thoughts aside and started taking it ONE day at a time. Just for TODAY I will focus on staying within my calorie goal, just for today I will make it to the gym. One day at a time... You can do this!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This helps me get through days:
    dae4b9ef693573dd5c8d3558c226db2538df38b7499a313a0a2b92bb397a0c2e.jpg
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    Oh wow guys, thank you so much for the comments and encouragement. I read every word of your comments and really really appreciate them.
  • MaddieMoo515
    MaddieMoo515 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We all have those negative thoughts... i have struggled with them for YEARS! I started running a few years ago, and it was a very powerful experience...Keep going!! Every step counts! Every positive change in your life counts!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My own thoughts when I walk and I end up getting wet - I got wet, but I got my walk. Clothes can be dried! :smile:

Also when it looks risky and like it may rain, I go out anyway, as I would prefer to get my walk and get wet, than not get my walk :smile:

That said, indoor alternatives can be good too, but at the end of the day, I think it helps to commit to something. For example, before I started losing weight, I did some brainstorming and concluded I would lose weight if I could keep my food intake at least at a neutral level, and I got two 30 minute walks a day. I often do better, and eat less, or exercise more, but that is my baseline.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You think walk of say 350 calories does no good for you, but the facts say walk that much 5x a week, then not only will you improve your level of fitness by moving more it will help get rid of 1/2lb a week, which is c 2lb a month. Thats just simple math and puts it into perspective. That could be c24lb a year. Just keep it in perspective with being realistic and the negative voices will have less effect. Focus on the day to day and the rest takes care of itself.

Actually ^this^ will get you out of the sedentary category and put you into the physically active category. To get into the physically fit category, you have to add an additional 30 minutes a day 5x a week of moderate to intense exercise.

If you're interested in the current research, Google - American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that victory over those negative thoughts matters a LOT in the arc of your universe. Each time you give in makes the next time a little harder. You made the next time a little easier.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Those negative thoughts are something we all carry with us. My thinking is because they tell us to do what is easy.

I also feel your pain about going out jogging and being the largest person. I weighed almost 300 pounds and at age 36 I just felt that it would not matter. Just go back home where I would not hurt, look bad, and feel like grandpa. It doesn't help that I live next to a community college with a great track team that loves to run. Imagine being passed 3 times by these people jogging past you. It made me feel like I was such a failure.

So I stopped jogging, turned around in shame and started to walk home when it hit me. I don't know who these people are. Even if I did why would I allow my mind to say they are looking down on me. They never gave me a strange look, said anything rude or made any gestures at me. At this point that is when I decided it was all in my mind so I turned back around and started jogging again. And I must admit what I call jogging was more like a fast pace walk than a jog.

The only thing in your life that will limit you from doing what you choose to do is your own mind. You can do anything you want, you can reach your goals, and if you fail to reach them the best part is you can start new with the knowledge you gained from the past.

You never know who you might just inspire to lose weight. My mother lost over 100 pounds and my sister 50.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    there used to be a guy in my local park who was such an inspiration he was large ( about 5'10" high and wide) and every Tuesday in the summer i saw him walking around the park slowly and painfully. winter came and i stopped going to the park, but next summer he was back and half the size; still walking around the park . that guy was inspirational and when ever i think "I can't" i think of him and realize I can!
    every step forward is a step to the goal no matter how small or how long it takes
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So I stopped jogging, turned around in shame and started to walk home when it hit me. I don't know who these people are. Even if I did why would I allow my mind to say they are looking down on me. They never gave me a strange look, said anything rude or made any gestures at me. At this point that is when I decided it was all in my mind so I turned back around and started jogging again. And I must admit what I call jogging was more like a fast pace walk than a jog.

I can't speak for horrible folks who look down on others and the even more horrible ones who say hurtful things aloud, but I'm guessing the vast majority of us have nothing but admiration for ANYONE who's trying to better themselves. I've seen very, very overweight people out and about... walking, running, working out... and I have such a desire to say "Way to go!" or "Keep it up!" or "Good job!" but I just smile and go on my way because I figure most people just want to be left alone. The only time I ever say anything is when I've finished a race, and I loop back to encourage others who were behind me. Races are open season for yelling out encouragement! :)

So yeah, there's no reason to assume anyone is thinking anything other encouraging or admiring thoughts.