Lunchtime Foods For Work

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Often leftovers. But lately I've been on a kick where I get a huge healthy salad, and add either sardines or herring to it. It sounds weird, but is very tasty, and nutritious!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, anything that doesn’t contain meat or dairy you can eat chilled or room-temperature. So go through the foods you like and subtract the meat or dairy, or find a substitute for it. It might not be fun, mind you, to eat room-temperature stir-fry, but food is about nourishing your body; every meal doesn’t have to be a party.

I disagree with this. Eating something that disgusts you, even if it is "nourishing" your body, is not something that will be easy to stick with. The point is to find healthy foods that you still can enjoy.

I don't know where you're located, but I buy Aunt Millie's whole grain 35 calorie bread for my sandwiches. Another option if you enjoy sandwiches would be wraps. Buy the big ones (usually around 150 calories) and stuff it full of meat, veggies, etc.

Not a party doesn't equal disgusting. Just agreeing with the others.
  • atypicalme
    Options
    I got a great tip from one of the trainers at my gym during a nutrition seminar. He said that calorie counting is key for a weight loss program, but most people blow it because it's such a pain in the neck to keep track of every little thing. What he recommended is making one casserole and portioning every day, or eating the same rotating schedule of food so that you already have the info there and just need to check the button in your recent foods list. I'm starting that method tomorrow. My week looks like this:

Daily snacks:
    Veggies –
    10 baby carrots
    12 bell pepper strips
    10 cucumber slices
    2 tbsp veggie dip
    1 string cheese
    4oz. trail mix

Lunch entree:
    Monday – Tuna Salad on crackers
    Tuesday – Turkey Ranch Club Wrap (turkey, bacon, cheddar, ranch, lettuce on the side)
    Wednesday – Chicken Salad Pita
    Thursday – Ham, Pear & Swiss Wrap w/ honey mustard cream cheese spread
    Friday – Chicken Black Bean Lunch Wrap

This also makes it super easy to avoid the whole, "Ugh, I have to leave in 5 minutes. What can I pack for lunch?" debacle.
  • monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    http://www.rockrun.com/stanley-classic-0-5l-food-flask?gclid=CJGO57KujMMCFRMatAoddlsAKQ
    This is the BEST for hot lunches when you don't have access to a microwave or theres only one for a full canteen of people. 5-10 minutes with boiling water before emptying it to add the food should do the trick.
    'Dense' dinners (by that I think I mean ones with a decent amount of water in) stay hottest longest e.g curries, pasta in sauce, chilli, soups etc. Stir fries fare OK though (I make mine at 7am and eat lunch at 1pm)
    So I simply cook 3 portions the night before (2 for me, 1 for my fella) and copy the data on MFP over from the day before.

I'm not a 'cold lunch' person so having this keeps me going and is far more effective and durable than other food containers I've seen people use.
  • n1tnguy
    Options
    Mine:

Canned Fish ~4oz
    Avocado ~150g
    Quinoa ~0/5cup
    Bell Pepper ~1

You have all your healthy marconutrients, barely any prep, and a healthy amount of calories so you can sustain yourself for the rest of the day.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,619 Member
    Options
    atypicalme wrote: »
    I got a great tip from one of the trainers at my gym during a nutrition seminar. He said that calorie counting is key for a weight loss program, but most people blow it because it's such a pain in the neck to keep track of every little thing. What he recommended is making one casserole and portioning every day, or eating the same rotating schedule of food so that you already have the info there and just need to check the button in your recent foods list. I'm starting that method tomorrow. My week looks like this:

Daily snacks:
    Veggies –
    10 baby carrots
    12 bell pepper strips
    10 cucumber slices
    2 tbsp veggie dip
    1 string cheese
    4oz. trail mix

Lunch entree:
    Monday – Tuna Salad on crackers
    Tuesday – Turkey Ranch Club Wrap (turkey, bacon, cheddar, ranch, lettuce on the side)
    Wednesday – Chicken Salad Pita
    Thursday – Ham, Pear & Swiss Wrap w/ honey mustard cream cheese spread
    Friday – Chicken Black Bean Lunch Wrap

This also makes it super easy to avoid the whole, "Ugh, I have to leave in 5 minutes. What can I pack for lunch?" debacle.

I like this idea of a rotating schedule of food. I spend way too much time trying to come up with last minute lunches. And, your list sounds like the kind of food I enjoy also!
  • atypicalme
    Options
    I like this idea of a rotating schedule of food. I spend way too much time trying to come up with last minute lunches. And, your list sounds like the kind of food I enjoy also!

I can honestly say that all my recipes are tried and tested, and approved by me! If you're interested, send me a message and I can link you to them on my website. (It was easier to import them into the recipe calculator if I hosted them first!)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is the way forward I agree. Plan your week and make stuff in advance.

Wraps, pita, etc are all good and some rice and noodle dishes are meant to be served cold or at room temp.

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The Mr. Bento Box is a great way to take food to work and keep it hot or cold. Crock pot makes a lunch pot that you plug in to keep your food warm. I love soups and whole grain salads with veggies and lemon and olive oil dressing.