Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

squats

Is the basic squat always going to be a worthwhile move or do you need to bump up the intensity with dumbbells, barbells, one-legged squats, or something like that?

Replies

• keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Just overall fitness. In the past when I worked out a lot I used dumbbells and barbells but now that I'm older and more creaky I need to watch it with overloading my knees.
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    I'm not clear on your goal. Tell us what you mean by "overall fitness"? Are you looking to build/maintain muscle? Tone your look? Stay flexible? That can mean a lot of things.
  • BigAl_2
    BigAl_2 Posts: 85 Member
    Adding weight is beneficial to strengthen your muscles, but if it hurts your knees I wouldn't do it. If you feel a basic squat becoming less effective you could up your reps or try different types of squats, squat jumps, etc. to make it more of a challenge. I would also have someone check your form to make sure that isn't the reason your knees hurt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    When the basic squat isn't enough, add weights, different dynamic movements, keep changing it up

The basic squat is always a worthwhile move but it will get dull, and by building in resistance you'll progress more

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Before you add anything, make sure you have the right form for the kind of squat you are doing so that you are not overtaxing your knees or back.
  • keziak1
    My achy/creaky knees are from carrying around extra weight and standing most of the day (I work at a stand up computer station). I can do squats and lunges without too much discomfort but wonder if I should plan eventually to up my game by adding weights. By "overall fitness" I mean toning up and building some muscle to help my overall metabolism.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    I'm have older creaky knees which have improved by doing squats the right way - I made sure to get my form checked and I go a bit below parallel (which is actually healthier for knees). I use barbells (as I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5) and keep going up in weight (though I'm hitting heavier weights). To build muscle, you will have to be in a calorie surplus.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    It's best to follow a structured program designed by a pro. A good one for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. Or work with a good personal trainer and get a customized routine. If you go that route, google "choosing a personal trainer".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When the basic squat isn't enough, add weights, different dynamic movements, keep changing it up

The basic squat is always a worthwhile move but it will get dull, and by building in resistance you'll progress more

BAM!
  • keziak1
    I've been thinking about seeing a trainer actually. I have lifted a lot in my life but not when in my 50s.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about seeing a trainer actually. I have lifted a lot in my life but not when in my 50s.

Well go get it woman!
  • keziak1
    It would be a great New Years job, wouldn't it? Either that or consult a physical therapist, as people here recommended. My issue is carving out the time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    I do squats while I'm watching tv. I lost weight from my already small butt :( so I'm hoping squatting will help build it up. Not kim kardashian big though!! :o
  • keziak1
    I talked to two doctors about my knees. One suggested I lose weight. Check. The other ordered an ultrasound to see if I have arthritis but I was clear. At my last physical I didn't think to ask for a referral to a physical therapist. I need to find out if I need a referral for a consultation.

In the past I lost a great deal of weight by doing step aerobics and The Firm tapes. Both are pretty knee-centric (The Firm has you step up and down on a box).