Will I lose weight by doing this?

Options
Hue_Hercle
Hue_Hercle Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have already lost 60+ pounds and I am almost to my goal. I do not eat processed foods and my calorie intake is very strict. I exercise most of my day. If I burn exactly the amount I eat, about how much would I lose or would I not be burning enough to lose?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    depends on what you mean by burn. If you burn the amount you eat by exercise then you will lose weight most likely. If you are eating the same amount as your TDEE then no you wont lose
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When people talk about burning more than they eat, you have to take into account the calories you burn doing everyday activities as well as all the calories your body burns just keeping you alive.

Burning off every calorie that you eat through exercise is unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

Set up your MFP profile honestly and accurately. It will give you a calorie goal that will allow you to lose weight even without exercise. Log your exercise as well and eat back at least a portion of the extra calories you earn.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll lose muscle, hair, mental focus, and probably pass out once in awhile. :) You need to eat enough to fuel your body and daily activity, plus you want to preserve as much lean body mass as possible, which means as you get closer to goal, keeping a small deficit.

I would recommend reading the following:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you need help calculating your calorie intake, just post your stats (age, height, weight, how much you have to lose, activity level) and we can help you figure that out.

• Hue_Hercle
    Hue_Hercle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I did not realize how dangerous this was. I will change my daily diet to keep me healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you burn as much as you eat, you will keep a stable weight. If you mean "burn" strictly as in "burn through deliberate and planned exercise", in addition to just being alive and do everyday things, you will lose weight. Just remember that real life will be the only reliable answer for how much you burn, calculators will only give an estimate.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you burn as much as you eat, you will keep a stable weight. If you mean "burn" strictly as in "burn through deliberate and planned exercise", in addition to just being alive and do everyday things, you will lose weight. Just remember that real life will be the only reliable answer for how much you burn, calculators will only give an estimate.

I took the OP to mean that she was burning off her calorie intake through exercise, as in eating 1400 and then working out to burn off the 1400 calories. OP, do you mean burning through exercise or burning as in daily activity + basic caloric needs of the body (BMR) + exercise = calorie burn?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Estimate maintenance needs, eat 10-20% below that, lose weight. If you don't include exercise in the equation, then eat back 50-100% of the exercise calories you log (I had to do 100% and I still lost faster than I wanted).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have already lost 60+ pounds and I am almost to my goal. I do not eat processed foods and my calorie intake is very strict. I exercise most of my day. If I burn exactly the amount I eat, about how much would I lose or would I not be burning enough to lose?

By definition, "burning exactly the amount you eat" is stasis. Equilibrium. No gain. No loss. Right? What am I missing here?

• bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options

By definition, "burning exactly the amount you eat" is stasis. Equilibrium. No gain. No loss. Right? What am I missing here?

TDEE: 1500
    Eating: 1500
    This is equilibrium.
    But OP is suggesting
    Burning by exercise: 1500
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

TDEE: 1500
    This is equilibrium.
    But OP is suggesting
    Burning by exercise: 1500

Yeah

Don't do that!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I did not realize how dangerous this was. I will change my daily diet to keep me healthy.

Good idea.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, follow this good advice!! Also, be sure you eat back at least some of your calories earned through exercise. With 5 lbs. left to lose or so, I eat back 95% or so of calories earned through exercise! :smile:

Here's how to reset your MFP goals. Click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose the remaining weight.

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator