Serious About Toning Up

Options
fit_206
fit_206 Posts: 17 Member
Hi I am new to MFP and am finally serious about toning up. I do have some fat to lose but my main focus is gaining strength. I need all the help I can get. I am here to motivate and would like friends who will do the same in return. <3 Much love to you all and best of luck in reaching your fitness goals! ;):D

Replies

• lydia849
    lydia849 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hola
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Serious enough to do research!? :D
  • fit_206
    Options
    Well yeah, I'm not stupid.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Are you going to start strength training with free weights? I suggest something like Stronglifts 5x5.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    In doing research as yoovie suggested, you'll learn on the side that the word "tone" has exactly zero clear definition. It's a word that people use to describe "low body fat". Muscles can't be toned or untoned, they are simply muscle. What makes muscles look "toned" is the amount and thickness of fat covering them. You reduce this fat by maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit while also incorporating a strength training program to preserve the muscle you already do have.
  • fit_206
    Options
    ....which is what I'm going for.
  • fit_206
    Options
    Are you going to start strength training with free weights? I suggest something like Stronglifts 5x5.

Thanks for advice and not bitchy responses.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You may add me if you would like... having a goal to be toned is awesome, it avoids the whole number on the scale being important. I agree with getting educated on the subject, having goals that you understand and are able to commit to achieving is even more so.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    People on the forums are *kitten*. You can add me if you want. I have a little body fat to lose, but I'm doing strength training as well.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping I didn't come off as sarcastic. I lift 2-3x/wk and try to log the exercises and weights used. If you want to add me, you will be able to see what I do. Well, I think my diary's public, but you know what I mean:)
  • Eggsweet
    Eggsweet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in it for building strength too! Losing the jiggle is just a cool side effect.
    Feel free to add. I love talking about health and vitamins.

I'm starting to do full body workouts and cardio after each session. So far, so good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    fit_206 wrote: »

Thanks for advice and not bitchy responses.

well damn that escalated quickly…

• RaeImani33
    RaeImani33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my goal also.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    In doing research as yoovie suggested, you'll learn on the side that the word "tone" has exactly zero clear definition. It's a word that people use to describe "low body fat". Muscles can't be toned or untoned, they are simply muscle. What makes muscles look "toned" is the amount and thickness of fat covering them. You reduce this fat by maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit while also incorporating a strength training program to preserve the muscle you already do have.

listen to bubble she knows her stuff..

i would add..

keep eating in a calorie deficit to lose fat.
    find a structured heavy lifting program like strong lifts, 5x5 , new rules of lifting for woman, etc.
    up protein to minimize muscle loss .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass is recommended…
    repeat unit you get desired results…

oh and don't take every response on here so seriously..wow...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fit_206 wrote: »
    Well yeah, I'm not stupid.

yo i dont know you, you just joined up - i figured i would start simple and get to know where you are coming from before assuming i could help you.

sorry to bother you. I wasn't calling you stupid.

• lydia849
    lydia849 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lydia849 wrote: »
    Hola [/quod
    What's