Any other moms out there having trouble breaking the evening cocktail/treat habit?

Options
I could really use some support from someone else out there who needs help with this. Two years ago I lost about 15 pounds, and felt great, but over the past year or so, I've slowly put most of it back on. I'm good all day, eating very healthy and counting my calories, but by the time the evening comes, I'm tired and a little cranky and just want to relax.
I work while my kids are at school, and of course, take care of all of the kids after school as well. I'm basically always busy, like every other mom. I feel ready for the challenge every morning, and ready to quit every night. There have Got to be other moms dealing with this or a similar challenge. I am 36, which also means that my metabolism is starting to slow a bit. It would be really wonderful if I could connect with someone else who needs help with this.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How much are you talking here? A glass of wine?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am having no trouble at all, because I am not making an attempt to do so. I have one drink (usually in a 2oz cocktail glass) almost every night, and I enjoy it immensely.
  • eehoffman242
    eehoffman242 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wish I could stop at one. But it ussually ends up being 2 and then deserts look pretty awesome. :(
  • eehoffman242
    Options
    Usually vodka and sparkling water with a splash of juice. I cant possibly be alone here.
  • rosesdiebeautifly
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I LOVE having a late night bloody Mary. I tend to stay up late so that i can have me time Which always ends up in me having a snack and or a cocktail. And i don't get off until 7 so dinner time ends up being around 8 Which is horrible. So losing weight is more so of a journey now. Oh but as far as your metabolism goes do you take any b12? It had really helped me build a good metabolism . I've been big all my life and have always gained weight in a flash. And now taking b12 and a women vitamin i feel like i have a fighting chance.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a cocktail in hand too many nights per week. It's sad when I look at my 'snacks'. It's all wine and gin and tonic with lime. I usually just do one. Occasionally two. This happens about 5 times a week and I know it's a lot of bad calories!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Is it really that important that you cut out you nightly treat? Sometimes what keeps me going is the promise of a few chocolate covered toffees at the end of the night. It keeps me on track throughout the day. As long as you can fit that cocktail or treat into your daily calorie goal, there is no reason in the world why you should not have it and enjoy it.
  • rosesdiebeautifly
    Options
    I think maybe we just need to find low cal drinks. Maybe that's our answer and shoot for one. Put the calories in my fitness pal before we even make it. As soon as its a thought. I know that helps me with my snacks. Kinda like a "is it worth it?" factor.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Is it really that important that you cut out you nightly treat? Sometimes what keeps me going is the promise of a few chocolate covered toffees at the end of the night. It keeps me on track throughout the day. As long as you can fit that cocktail or treat into your daily calorie goal, there is no reason in the world why you should not have it and enjoy it.

This... I make sure when I want it I make room for a margarita :drinker:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a cocktail in hand too many nights per week. It's sad when I look at my 'snacks'. It's all wine and gin and tonic with lime. I usually just do one. Occasionally two. This happens about 5 times a week and I know it's a lot of bad calories!

There's no such thing as bad calories, as long as your body is getting all the nutrients it needs!

Meaning, if you meet all of your dietary needs for the day, all the protein, fat, carbs and vitamins for you height and weight, and you find you have some calories left over, there is no reason why you couldn't use those calories to have a little wine at the end of your day.

It's all about small treats, sustainable habits, and moderation!
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The best way to get rid of a habit is to replace it with something new, completely unrelated.

Pick up a new hobby.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wish I could stop at one. But it ussually ends up being 2 and then deserts look pretty awesome. :(

Pre-log your day and make room for it.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    sometimes a week or two of no alcohol helps a lot. Drink water out of the glass you would normally use for cocktails and ask yourself, is it the booze I enjoy or the ritual? And make sure that when you do have any it is absolutely your favorite.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Pre-log your day and make room for it.

Yep.

Sit down at the end of the day with your drink with the kitchen "closed". Meaning everything cleaned and food put away, no temptations easily accessible. Relax with a distraction like a book or your favorite tv show, and slowly enjoy the drink. Have a glass of water ready next to you and start sipping that when you're done with the drink, it will help curb that knee-jerk thought of "must have another!"
  • als13071
    als13071 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It takes about 28 days to break a habit... maybe put less in each glass? I used to have a hlass of winr each night and sometimes two or three... i dont miss it now. I used to sit in silencr and drink.wine and sometimes do a little yoga (what a combo!) But now i read a bood or play a game with my other half for time to ourselves with out the kiddo. Have to relacr with something you really enjoy!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hire someone to come in once or twice a week to do cleaning so that you have less of a load on your shoulders. Start teaching the children to do more -- takes effort in the beginning but it will be worth it.
  • eehoffman242
    Options
    Usually vodka and sparkling water with a splash of juice. I cant possibly be alone here.
    I'm right there with you! I LOVE having a late night bloody Mary. I tend to stay up late so that i can have me time Which always ends up in me having a snack and or a cocktail. And i don't get off until 7 so dinner time ends up being around 8 Which is horrible. So losing weight is more so of a journey now. Oh but as far as your metabolism goes do you take any b12? It had really helped me build a good metabolism . I've been big all my life and have always gained weight in a flash. And now taking b12 and a women vitamin i feel like i have a fighting chance.

I will try the b13. Thanks!
  • eehoffman242
    Options

Its def a Big part of what keeps me going. I plan for the drink, (not the second or sometimes the third) I dont make room for deserts. Its always hard to break the sweet habbit after the holidays.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    have you tried brushing your teeth after dinner. It tells your brain that you are done eating/drinking for the night?
  • eehoffman242
    Options
    I'll try that. Lots of great ideas here! Thank you for the advice! :)