Long distance running and losing weight

Options
I'm halfway through a ten week 15K training plan, and after I finish this I'm going to start a marathon training plan. I'm running 3-6 miles 3x/week now, and ramping up every week.

Right now I weigh 150, trying to get to 135. I have my calorie goal set to 1400, and I eat back my running calories. I know TDEE is a better way to calculate a calorie goal, but you don't eat back exercise calories with that, and after running a ton of miles it seems like eating more would be important.

So, long distance runners, how do you calculate your calorie needs for running days and non-running days?

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE so average the calorie burn over the week. I run 30-35 miles a week and will be ramping it up as am training for my 1st marathon in April. I try to eat slightly under (100-200 cals a day) so if I'm really hungry after my long run I can have a bit extra. I've lost almost 140lbs so far (25lbs ish to go) doing this so works for me (I'm 5'6" and have my goal set at 2000 cals a day)
  • liz99887
    liz99887 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So do you adjust your calorie goal every week according to how much you plan to run?
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    No, my TDEE is pretty constant - if my mileage is down slightly one week, it'll be up the next so averages out. Plus realistically a 5 mile variance is only roughly 500 cals one way or another. I also find it makes meal planning easier if I have a constant target, as I say I build a little wiggle room in for the weekends!
  • liz99887
    liz99887 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice, and good luck running your marathon!
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    When I used to train for long distance, marathons I would drop some weight without trying, my suggestions would be not to watch calories too much, running days higher carbs, non running days protein recovery.
    If I was to run at 6pm on Monday and no run Tuesday I would protein for breakfast, 30g carbs lunch 4pm high carb meal (pasta) RUN then protein shake, Tuesday breakfast toast & beans or toast & peanut butter, protein lunch (probably just fish) dinner low carb.