Veggie and struggling to eat calories

Options
Hi there,
Can anybody help? I am a veggie but struggling to eat my daily allowance of 1200 calories as most of the food I eat is fruit, veg, salad with the odd quorn product thrown in for good measure - all very low in calories. I am always fairly satisfied but worried that if I miss my target, the weight won't come off! I have around 1.5 stone to lose before June...help!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nut butters, avocado, oil based salad dressings. Are you vegan? If not full fat dairy, ice cream, eggs....
  • jopymanuk
    jopymanuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas - I'm not a vegan but worry that adding extra fat to my diet will make weight loss even harder. :(
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Nuts
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on toast, how ever many calories your missing 1 slice will fill the gap, just weigh the peanut butter.
  • Eggsweet
    Eggsweet Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nuts! Pistachios and macadamias especially. I like having almond butter w/ toast or apples, too.

Kefir or yogurt w/ muesli is good too, if you're wary of fat content. Easy breakfast.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating fat does not hinder weight loss, eating too many calories does.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jomooreuk wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas - I'm not a vegan but worry that adding extra fat to my diet will make weight loss even harder. :(

This is a commom fear, but fat is really pretty necessary to include. It helps to regulate hormones, helps with cell growth, and keeps your skin and nails healthy. At a minimum, try to get .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Carbs can be easy calories, it's easy to add rice or bread to any meal. Nuts are a good snack, like everyone else said already (though I hate them)
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Eat the fats! ;) Your fat soluble vitamins need them to absorb anyway. I am more satiated with meals that have fats.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also, sorry to be that person, but are you getting enough protein? It's not hard to do on a vegetarian diet, but if you are mostly eating fruit, salads, and only sometimes Quorn, you might be coming up short.
  • 12345678nine
    Options
    Grains and legumes, etc: black beans, pinto beans, peas, quinoa, brown rice. Be sure to get your oils and good fats: have a slice a avocado; eat some hummus + pretzels, pita chips or crunchy veggies; cook with canola oil and coconut oil. Pair a slice of bread with peanut butter + banana or hummus or avocado. Nuts and seeds are great as well. Pretty much everything I mentioned here is a good source of protein too.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Raise your calorie goal because if you don't, things will be hard. Your body is set up to lose right now... lose muscle, that is. Eat more protein. Unprocessed plant protein has a lot of carbs come with it so it might help to use processed sources. There are protein powders for shakes, dry TVP (soy-based) that's ready to eat in only minutes, seitan (vital wheat gluten) for if you need a grain-based protein but still want something that passes for meat... and of course there's the unprocessed sources such as beans.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're missing carbs, fat and protein! Add some Greek yogurt, some oatmeal, some nuts or seeds to your salad... they don't need to be large quantities either. Don't be afraid of fat, you need it. Try a small amount of olive oil on your veggies, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds on a salad, some nutbutter on celery.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You need to eat fat. It is necessary.

Eating fat won't make fat loss harder. Eating to many calories does that.

^^This.

Plus, weigh your food and log what you eat so you know how much you're eating. If you're not losing weight you are miscalculating somewhere, thus eating more than you think you are.

If you exercise and use MFP for your calories burns and eat back exercise calories, eat only about half. They are way overestimated.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I've been a vegetarian for more than 5 years and lost weight eating between 1500 and 1900 calories a day. I also eat plenty of fat. My diary is open, so feel free to have a look at what my normal diet looks like. Don't be afraid of fat - as mentioned above, fat doesn't make you fat. :)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    Eat the fats! ;) Your fat soluble vitamins need them to absorb anyway. I am more satiated with meals that have fats.

THIS
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If this is just a diet thing and you have no real reason to eat less fat except that you want to lose weight, have some fat.

Watch your little goals in the food log if you're worried about having too much fat.

It is extremely difficult to get 1200 calories eating healthy food and avoiding fats. Not hard to stay full. Not impossible to meet dietary goals. But very hard to get 1200 calories. Fat will add the calories! :)

You really should see a doctor if you haven't done that. Get a referral to a dietitian. They'll answer all your questions. You'll get information that is tailored to you and you alone...and you'll get it from people who know more than we do.

Good luck!