PCOS

Options
Anyone as frustrated as I am dealing with PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism?
Eating only meats and veggies, protein shakes and exercising in the gym 1hr a day 6 days a week, and walking 30-1 hr each night with no success!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Angie1212mfp
    Options
    I had PCOS, but it seems to have disappeared since my first initial weight loss. MY cycles are like clock work now.. so much so that my dr. insists that I always use a barrier form of birth control. :/ I didn't have IR, or thyrhoid problems often associated with PCOS, just irregular cycles, infertility, facial hair, and un explained weight gain. Losing the weight wasn't easy, but with very hard work and eating healthy, Idid it. I've been told that just losing 10% of your weight can help with it. Good luck... (((hugS))

Angie
  • mindyz68
    Options
    Thanks! I am sticking with it! I feel stuck! Appreciate the support!
  • SR554
    SR554 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found out I had PCOS a few weeks ago :( started dieting and exercising but got lazy. I have just started to get back on track again now and found this app today. Hopefully I can get where I want to be it's so frustrating X
  • mindyz68
    Options
    I hear that! I am plugging away! Definately staying away from carbs! Like sugar, breads, pastas, rice, sweets, etc. really it comes down to meats and veggies!
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein is in your protein shakes? Women with PCOS should avoid soy as much as humanly possible. It's an estrogenic and will further exacerbate hormonal imbalance.

And here's a PCOS FYI for anyone else who stumbles across this thread:
    One of the big keys to losing weight with PCOS is a low carb diet. Any carbohydrates ingested should come from natural sources like fruit (no more than two servings a day) and vegetables. Refined sugars/starches will cause surges in blood glucose, resulting in an increase in insulin. Increased insulin, a fat storage hormone, has been linked to increase cystic growth on the ovaries, further promoting androgenism. High sugars/carbs = downward PCOS spiral. Don't drop the carbs too low if you exercise with high intensity on a regular basis; you'll stress your kidneys.

Bottom line, the hormonal imbalances associated with PCOS make it difficult for the body to efficiently process a diet heavy in carbs.

-fellow PCOSer
  • mindyz68
    Options
    Thank you
  • annethim1980
    Options
    hey, i know the feeling ive suffered from pcos and all the joys that come with it for the past 15 years
    i find that the paleo way off life has helped me alot, this is low carb as well
    feel free to add me if you want :D
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I follow a Low GI lifestyle with slightly higher protein and the kilos just fall off... you just have to work out what your body needs. I don't take any medications as they have far worse side effects than PCOS.