KETO DIET/ HEAVY LIFTING- need critique on food!!

Options
alexbhughes
alexbhughes Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
As the title explained somewhat, I am a heavy lifter and exercise 5-6 days a week. I switched to a Keto diet about 3 months ago and want to be sure I'm eating the right stuff in order to keep my macros in check and appropriate for my caloric expenditure. I don't log my
Fitness at all but it's quite intense(7-9) for 1.5 hours, 5-6 days a week.

Any advice would help! I've been logging for a month.

Thanks

Replies

• jasonatkins549
    jasonatkins549 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting or bulking?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my husband was doing keto and noticed his lifting amounts decreased significantly w/o carbs. i'm not sure if it helps or not, but he ended up increasing his carbs a bit (but still stuck with keto) from about 15g/day to around 30g/day.
  • wykedengel
    wykedengel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try ingesting the carbs pre and post workout and keep low the other times. Also, you can try CKD, in which you allow yourself 1 carb reload per week. I would suggested that until you have been on keto for at least 4 weeks to make sure your body is in ketosis.
  • alexbhughes
    Options
    Are you cutting or bulking?

I don't really need to bulk, I'm leaning out while maintaining strength and mass. I consume 3650 cals a day with a macro of 65/30/5.. Or at least that's what I am for.
  • alexbhughes
    Options
    wykedengel wrote: »
    Try ingesting the carbs pre and post workout and keep low the other times. Also, you can try CKD, in which you allow yourself 1 carb reload per week. I would suggested that until you have been on keto for at least 4 weeks to make sure your body is in ketosis.

I've read into CKD and it seems beneficial, I'm just scared it will throw me out of ketosis. A lot of articles I've read say to consume 10-15% fat, 25 protein(depends on how much weight training and exercise you do), and the rest carbs. With a 3650 cals a day, that's ALOT of carbs.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Even though you're not really bulking, I bet ketogains would have a lot of good info.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Do you like keto? I love it.
  • alexbhughes
    Options
    Also, I'm trying to get a lot of fiber in, and it freaks me out! For example, when I see I've ingested 75 grams of carbs but 45 are fiber.. Is that too much?