I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Mjanegranger
    Mjanegranger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you Annaskiski for posting site for more information on the 5X5 for women. I will view it--thanks again for your help.
  • ny24j1022
    ny24j1022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vismal, thank you for answering my question. I am definitely determined!
  • erbass411
    Options
    Wow great job. Reading your success story is a big motivator for me. Thanks
  • muneeraisha237
    Options
    Hii. I m 5'3 and weigh 198 lbs. can you please guide me with loosing weight. I m bad with exercise. Though i have started doing yoga. Is it necessary to work out for weight loss or just sticking with the calorie intake would help.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused. Earlier, someone asked you a question and you said that you cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Then later you said you wished you were lifting from day 1. Could you explain why you wish you were lifting from day 1? And is it not possible to build muscle and lose weight? I've heard from several long time body builders that you can. Basically, you eat enough protein to sustain your muscle mass while eating a calorie deficit. And if you incorporate some lifting you shouldn't lose any muscle. You lose body fat and sustain and/or build muscle. Is this all correct?
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow! I definitely have extra motivation for the gym! What you've done is incredible, well done :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hii. I m 5'3 and weigh 198 lbs. can you please guide me with loosing weight. I m bad with exercise. Though i have started doing yoga. Is it necessary to work out for weight loss or just sticking with the calorie intake would help.
    To lose weight you simply need to eat less calories than you burn in a day. Exercise increases the calories you burn. Lifting weights helps ensure the weight you lose is fat.
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    I am a little confused. Earlier, someone asked you a question and you said that you cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Then later you said you wished you were lifting from day 1. Could you explain why you wish you were lifting from day 1? And is it not possible to build muscle and lose weight? I've heard from several long time body builders that you can. Basically, you eat enough protein to sustain your muscle mass while eating a calorie deficit. And if you incorporate some lifting you shouldn't lose any muscle. You lose body fat and sustain and/or build muscle. Is this all correct?
    Gaining muscle while losing fat isn't impossible, it's just extremely difficult for most. People new to lifting, the obese, teenagers, and those who use PEDs can usually do it without tons of difficulty but for the rest of us, it's an uphill battle. The reason lifting is important in a deficit is to preserve muscle, not necessarily build it. Even if you are able to pull off a true recomp, it's almost always less efficient then traditional bulk / cut cycles.

• LAMCDylan
    Options
    Vismal, another quick question.

My situation now is like your situation when you started. I am about the size you were. Though, I do have some good muscle mass. My arms, chest, and legs got good amounts of muscle. It is only my belly and waist where a lot of the fat is. Right now I am tracking calories and keeping a deficit. I am also doing P90. After this I plan on doing P90x. From that point I have no plans yet on an exercise or workout program. My goal is to lose belly fat but preserve most of my muscle. What are your thoughts on the way I am doing things right now? What types of exercise or workout programs do you suggest now and/or in the future?

Thanks for your help
  • vismal
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Vismal, another quick question.

My situation now is like your situation when you started. I am about the size you were. Though, I do have some good muscle mass. My arms, chest, and legs got good amounts of muscle. It is only my belly and waist where a lot of the fat is. Right now I am tracking calories and keeping a deficit. I am also doing P90. After this I plan on doing P90x. From that point I have no plans yet on an exercise or workout program. My goal is to lose belly fat but preserve most of my muscle. What are your thoughts on the way I am doing things right now? What types of exercise or workout programs do you suggest now and/or in the future?

Thanks for your help
    I do not think p90x is nearly as efficient at maintaining muscle mass as barbell and dumbbell training. I think of p90x programs more like interval cardio than I do strength training.

• LAMCDylan
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks for the tips.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment. Very inspiring. :)
  • Pembo77
    Pembo77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey man... Great Job!

Sorry if you already answered this but... What macros did you use for weight loss?
    Had a quick look at your diary. Is it 45/30/25 (protien/carbs/fat respectively)??

I only have a bit to lose so I'm running about 4 days a week & about to start 5x5 again. I've had a few attempts to get cut before but never seem to get to get rid of the final bit of stomach fat so kudos to you man.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is some great work. Congrats for your dedication,it really paid off! :D
  • vismal
    Options
    Pembo77 wrote: »
    Hey man... Great Job!

Sorry if you already answered this but... What macros did you use for weight loss?
    Had a quick look at your diary. Is it 45/30/25 (protien/carbs/fat respectively)??

I only have a bit to lose so I'm running about 4 days a week & about to start 5x5 again. I've had a few attempts to get cut before but never seem to get to get rid of the final bit of stomach fat so kudos to you man.
    I never use percentages to calculate macros. That method is a bit outdated. My own macros have changed vastly throughout the process of losing fat. This is how I calculate things now: http://youtu.be/7cc18wLJW3k
  • abhisheksengupta
    abhisheksengupta Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great transformation indeed.
    I have a few questions, it'll be a great favor if you (or others) could help me on these:

So about me:
    Male, 21, 5'10
    Waist - 32 inches
    Current weight - 160 lbs

I was touching obesity at 212 lbs and had a lot of body fat (man boobs, love handles and everywhere else), little muscle due to my lack of physical activity. I have lost 52 lbs starting last June. A bulk of that was lost in the four months. Even though my weight loss and physical transformation was speedy and visible I kind of overkilled it by doing a few mistakes: Low calorie diet (started with 1300 calories and averaged at 1600-1700). I walked for 2 hours a day (gym+college and back, with earphones on) and a bulk of gym time was spent in cycling (30-45 minutes). Total 75 minutes of steady cardio and very little weights (mostly to strengthen my weak calves for running).

By December I dropped to lean waist and sizes but although I 'look' pretty fit in my jackets and jerseys now much to the amazement of everyone who saw me obese just a few months back, I still have considerable belly fat (tire shaped which is grabbable in the fists on the back) and bit of fat on my chest which are burning off relatively slowly. Rest of my body remains in pretty thinnish shape. I have relatively muscular arms and thighs now. And 32' waist and jeans sync mostly well.
    Basically I'm at a good weight and frame but body fat still high imo. Google tells me I'm skinny fat.

Q1. I don't want to go any thinner. How do I burn away rest of my fat without going thinner? Calorie deficits may go against me.

Q2. I joined the gym after 2 months of exams and holidays. Have begun strength training in the past 10 days. How much is sufficient/too much? Is 6 days a week (muscle group on alternate days) fine or too much? I have been sore few times, but have gotten stronger.
    Also should I focus on core and back workouts?

Q3. How much extra calories do I account for when strength training? I have been eating roughly 2200-2400 cals on average with emphasis on protein, calcium, fibre and post workout (night) carbs.

Q4. I have stuck to walking 3-5 miles a day (I enjoy it), and do HIIT twice a week for 20 minutes. Is that fine?

Q5. Lastly I don't want a body builder look, a leaner, athletic (say Christiano) look is my aim. How do I juggle between losing fat and building muscle? Especially for the abdominal area (which was significantly more fat and tire like even when I was at 212 lbs)

• vismal
    Options

Q1. I don't want to go any thinner. How do I burn away rest of my fat without going thinner? Calorie deficits may go against me. You can't. You will not lose the rest of your fat without a calorie deficit and losing more weight. One option is to focus on muscle builder for a period of time, gain a few lbs, then switch back to fat loss so you look more muscular then you do thin in the areas that worry you.

Q2. I joined the gym after 2 months of exams and holidays. Have begun strength training in the past 10 days. How much is sufficient/too much? Is 6 days a week (muscle group on alternate days) fine or too much? I have been sore few times, but have gotten stronger.
    Also should I focus on core and back workouts? This depends on your calories and your goal. If you are still going to be in a deficit I recommend 3 total body workouts a week. If you are going to be in a surplus, 3-5 days a week is usually enough. Most beginners do best on a 3 day a week total body routine like ICF 5x5 or stronglifts. Doing 1 body part each day is inefficient. You should always try to hit everything 2-3 times a week.

Q3. How much extra calories do I account for when strength training? I have been eating roughly 2200-2400 cals on average with emphasis on protein, calcium, fibre and post workout (night) carbs. Again, this depends on your goals. I wouldn't add in any extra calories if you plan on continuing to lose weight, but if you are trying to gain muscle, add in enough so that you are gaining about 1/2 a lb a week.

Q4. I have stuck to walking 3-5 miles a day (I enjoy it), and do HIIT twice a week for 20 minutes. Is that fine?The walking is fine, HIIT twice a week might be overkill if you are doing all that strength training. A true HIIT session is similar to a strength training bout in terms of recovery.

Q5. Lastly I don't want a body builder look, a leaner, athletic (say Christiano) look is my aim. How do I juggle between losing fat and building muscle? Especially for the abdominal area (which was significantly more fat and tire like even when I was at 212 lbs)A "bodydbuilder" look is never achieved by accident, it takes many years of training to specifically look that way so don't worry, it won't just happen. Most people do alternating periods of muscle gain followed by fat loss. It's called bulk/cut cycling. You spend 4-6 months in a small caloric surplus. You seek to gain around 2 lbs a month. Say after 6 months you've gained 12 lbs. You can then do a cutting phase for around 2-3 months and then lose the 12 lbs you gained. The idea is to lose mostly fat when cutting and to gain a mix of fat and muscle when bulking. The net result after a bulk followed by a cut should be muscle gain, and fat loss. Each cycle should leave you leaner yet more muscular. As time goes on, you will generally gain less and less muscle each time you bulk. The more muscle you have, the harder it is to build new muscle.
    Answers above in bold.
  • mrshewitt1975
    mrshewitt1975 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! So informative!
  • Freddi_O
    Freddi_O Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You actually look fantastic! Congrats on losing the weight and your engagement. What would a typical day in your food diary look like?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!