Question for people with appetite-suppressing meds

Hi folks, my adhd meds are suppressing my appetite and I'm often eating less than 2000 calories a day and my nutritionist recommended 3500 or more calories a day for me. Do any of you have suggestions for either what to eat or how or when etc to eat? THANKS!

Replies

• i just realized i forgot some info:
    ht: 6'9"
    wt: 220
    male
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    What did your nutritionist say to eat?
  • she had suggested breakfast of toast, hard boiled eggs, fruit; snack of salted nuts; lunch of 2 pb&j 2 cups of milk; snack of fruit; and dinner of some sort of vegetable, 2 cups milk, serving of meat, serving of carbs, etc. But most of the time I'm just forgetting to eat because I'm never hungry. Today my goal is to make it to 3500, so I'm planning on just eating until I get to it. But I almost never get above 2k.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    so. I'll bite.

are you on appetizing suppressing meds- or are on you meds treating something else that happen to also ACT as appetizer suppressant??

Because honestly if it's the first one- why are you eating 3500 if you are on an appetizer suppressant?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    JoRocka wrote: »
    so. I'll bite.

are you on appetizing suppressing meds- or are on you meds treating something else that happen to also ACT as appetizer suppressant??

Because honestly if it's the first one- why are you eating 3500 if you are on an appetizer suppressant?

He stated ADHD meds. The majority of which are stimulants that have the side effect of suppressing appetite and disturbing sleep. :)

OP: What time are you taking your meds? Do you take them in the morning and have them wear off by afternoon or are you taking something that is lasting all day?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Eat the things which most people have to avoid or eat in moderation:
    fatty fish (salmon)
    nuts (including peanut butter, which no, is not a nut)
    avocados
    full-fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese)
    meat
    pasta, rice
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Full fat everything!!
  • jenglish712
    So when you make yourself eat does it make you feel sick?

Drinking calories can help because your body doesn't register fluids the same as solids. Full fat can be a double edged sword since fat is satiating. Sounds like part of what you need is structure and a schedule. Picking the right foods won't help if you forget to eat them.
  • JoRocka
    so. I'll bite.

He stated ADHD meds. The majority of which are stimulants that have the side effect of suppressing appetite and disturbing sleep. :)

OP: What time are you taking your meds? Do you take them in the morning and have them wear off by afternoon or are you taking something that is lasting all day?

HA- I totally missed the lower case letters.

Okay- full fat- high calorie- low filling foods. (usually people refer to those as empty calories) but yeah- more 'empty' calories! LOL

ice cream- pizza- burger- beer- all the things.
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume you're talking about Adderall which unfortunately does have an appetite suppressing side effect. If that's something your doctor is prescribing for your ADHD and that's 5 he route you've chosen to follow then it will be up to you to find find things that are higher in calories or force yourself to eat even though you're not hungry.

How much weight are you looking to add? What's your training like?

Also, 6'9", I hate you. Even though I wouldn't want to be that tall, you certainly wouldn't want to be 5'7".
    I am targeting 232lbs, which is supposed to be my "sitting in the sofa" weight. I am planning on starting exercising too though: air squats, plank, and push ups for the time being and I already bicycle at least 6 miles each day. It's actually Focalin, not Adderall.
  • JoRocka wrote: »
    so. I'll bite.

HA- I totally missed the lower case letters.

Okay- full fat- high calorie- low filling foods. (usually people refer to those as empty calories) but yeah- more 'empty' calories! LOL

ice cream- pizza- burger- beer- all the things.

Ok, I guess I won't feel as bad about the ice cream and frozen pizzas anymore then, I was trying to be "healthy" and not eat them, but I guess the unfortunate side effect of "being healthy" meant not eating instead. Thanks for the idea!
  • MKEgal wrote: »
    fatty fish (salmon)
    avocados
    meat
    pasta, rice

What kind of meat is best to eat? Ideally a little lower in the price range is best - salmon seems kind of expensive and chicken seems too low fat??
  • jenglish712
    Beef and Pork are going to pack more calories in per ounce.

Just don't worry about "clean" or "healthy" eating of nothing but grilled chicken and veggies. Calories are king while you are 1500 calories short of your goal. Hitting macro goals on protein and fat are important, but secondary to calories.

Also realize that biking 6 miles a day is requiring a lot of calories just for that. Maybe it's not optional, but it is burning quite a few calories.
  • I can't avoid the biking though - I live 3 miles from downtown and don't have a car. Great idea, I keep forgetting pork and beef are cheap. Great suggestion!
  • JoRocka
    MKEgal wrote: »
    fatty fish (salmon)
    avocados
    meat
    pasta, rice

What kind of meat is best to eat? Ideally a little lower in the price range is best - salmon seems kind of expensive and chicken seems too low fat??

the kind you like and can afford that isn't rotten honestly.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    I do not feel hunger accurately so I have learned how to adjust instead of the lame but very honest answer of I forgot to eat. Its easy.... alarm on phone prompts me to eat and yes I eat more meals a day so I can get calories in. Set and stick to that pattern and it becomes second nature but just like others trying to loose at times bad habits kick in with life and I have to go back and set alarms again but if you want it bad enough you won't let it defeat you You can defeat it!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    fatty fish (salmon)
    avocados
    meat
    pasta, rice

You can always cook chicken in oil, which will add more calories.

• ucabucca wrote: »
    I do not feel hunger accurately so I have learned how to adjust instead of the lame but very honest answer of I forgot to eat. Its easy.... alarm on phone prompts me to eat and yes I eat more meals a day so I can get calories in. Set and stick to that pattern and it becomes second nature but just like others trying to loose at times bad habits kick in with life and I have to go back and set alarms again but if you want it bad enough you won't let it defeat you You can defeat it!
    Awesome idea. That's kind of what I ended up doing today... I just told myself I wasn't going anywhere until I stuffed down 3,500 calories total, and I just ate my last bite now, and I'm feeling full (but not miserable) so I kind of guess this is what I should have been doing all along. Will set those alarums.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Get a watch with an alarm, and set it for mealtimes.