Frustrated at slow weight loss!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mariaoutlook
    Options
    Nothing much to add to previous comments. Keep the good work up!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, 1-2 pounds a week is doing great. It can be frustrating to not see the weight rapidly fall off! I quit weighing myself everyday and only weigh once a month. I track my measurements, fit of clothes, and fitness accomplishments instead. (It has been much healthier for me mentally!) I track my calories and try to stay within 100 calories below or above my goal everyday, and try to exercise 3-4 times each week. In the last year, I have lost almost 50 pounds. I was aggravated at myself because I wanted it to be more, but I can honestly say that I didn't do the calorie deficits or exercising enough to have a bigger weight loss. The last week has really helped put it in perspective because several of my friends commented this week about how much weight I had lost and that has been very motivating to keep up the hard work.

You also don't have to commit yourself to a fad diet. Determine your calorie goal and then work towards eating at that goal everyday. I still eat chili cheese hot dogs, chocolate, and cookies but I make sure that I can fit them into my calorie goals. If I know that I will be eating out with friends later in the week, I will try to create a bank of 100 or so calories each day to have a "bank" of calories for eating out with my friends. I will also do cardio work that day to give me extra calories so I can enjoy the meal without going a bazillion calories over for the day!

You can friend me if you would like a friend while you are working towards your goals.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Did you just start trying to lose again? Are you 2 weeks in to a new program? I ask because generally there is some water weight loss in the first week or two. If you didn't lose any water weight, are you drinking enough water? Just my thoughts.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    you should be able to lose 2-3lbs a week. If you're not working hard or eating right, then you won't.

and standing doesn't count as excercise, if you're committed to losing weight, why are you bothering with "skinny mochas" every day. Calories that you drink are a waste of your time.

I lost 90lbs and i wasn't trying to give myself cheats every day, i i went from 260-195 in just 6 months, so people saying 1lb a week are stating very modest goal structures.

if i want something why would i even bother with crappy 'cheat meals'? Losing weight is just about being mature and making decisions that benefit yourself. It's either you want cake, or you want to be fit. It's pretty simplistic.
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, so impatient, but like the other posters have said, it didn't come on overnight, and it sure as heck won't disappear overnight! I'm just trying not to discouraged when I see a 1lb loss or even a 0.5lb loss. Every loss gets you that bit closer to your final target - and do you know, I never thought about it like this, if you just lose 1-2lbs a week, that's 52-104lbs a year! That's awesome :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    you should be able to lose 2-3lbs a week. If you're not working hard or eating right, then you won't.

and standing doesn't count as excercise, if you're committed to losing weight, why are you bothering with "skinny mochas" every day. Calories that you drink are a waste of your time.

I lost 90lbs and i wasn't trying to give myself cheats every day, i i went from 260-195 in just 6 months, so people saying 1lb a week are stating very modest goal structures.

if i want something why would i even bother with crappy 'cheat meals'? Losing weight is just about being mature and making decisions that benefit yourself. It's either you want cake, or you want to be fit. It's pretty simplistic.

bolded part is rubbish….if OP's main goal is fat loss then she can eat any kind of food, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

Just because you decided to torture yourself and few foods as "good" and "bad" and restrict the so called bad ones, does not mean that OP has to.

Losing weight is about being in a calorie deficit, period.

your whole post is condescending and riddled with bro science and clean eating zealotry...
  • brdnw
    Options
    she goes "Im desperate to lose weight however, i drink a 200 calorie drink a day as a cheat meal" get rid of that cheat meal and she loses 1500 calories a week, or .5lb of fat a week she can lose, just by drinking a glass of water instead and that same drink, the cost of it can easily pay a monthly gym membership.

Just because it fits in your macros, if it's not required nutritionally, and you're desperate to lose weight, why would you slow yourself down?

I lost 90lb so i feel like i pretty good context how to adjust a lifestyle change. Telling someone "oh 1lb a week is great" is silly, there's no point in coddling people that's how they get so out of shape. It's so easy to lose weight if you really try and the best part, is the bigger you are, the faster it comes off.
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I started at 235, lost 80 and gained it all back. So, here I am back at the beginning alongside ya.

Now, here's the thing. This isn't The Biggest Loser. We don't have the luxury of working out and dieting like it's our job. We have school, work, chores, family, friends, homework, volunteer responsibilities, pets and kids to take care of, etc. And, in my case, a boyfriend I just want to spend time with for the couple of hours we get together in the evenings.

1-2 lbs. a week is RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. Trust me! Because when you've been at this weight loss thing for a year and you've lost all your weight and are looking at maintaining, your mind will be right. Your habits will be right. You don't want to lose it any more quickly than that unless you want to gain it back and have to do this all over again.

Embrace every lb. as a victory and count all the non-scale victories! Collarbones making an appearance? NSV! Pants a bit looser at the waist? NSV! Ran a mile on the treadmill? NSV!

You can do this if you commit to the process. Losing weight can actually be a lot of fun. Enjoy the loss because once it's gone it's all about maintenance and that's a whole new game.

Good luck to you and feel free to add me. Cheers!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    A pound or two a week is great. Also...standing. Just include your job in your activity level. It's just standing.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lost my 7 kg-s very very slowly. It felt like my weight never changes but I went back in my calendar one or two pages (weeks) and saw that I was about 1 kg more back then. Drinks can be very tricky, I drink mostly water.
  • straysilverfox
    Options
    When I initially started my diet, I did small things like not drink so much soda, or maybe not order pizza that week, and even those small things caused me to lose weight rapidly. Eventually, of course, I hit a point where the weight loss slowed down, but that's kind of what I expected. All the excess water weight and excess food that I couldn't process fast enough got purged from my system, and suddenly I'm down to the same rate of 1-2 pounds a week. Wonderful!

If this keeps up, I'll be at a clinically healthy BMI by March. Time flies. Don't lose your way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    she goes "Im desperate to lose weight however, i drink a 200 calorie drink a day as a cheat meal" get rid of that cheat meal and she loses 1500 calories a week, or .5lb of fat a week she can lose, just by drinking a glass of water instead and that same drink, the cost of it can easily pay a monthly gym membership.

Just because it fits in your macros, if it's not required nutritionally, and you're desperate to lose weight, why would you slow yourself down?

I lost 90lb so i feel like i pretty good context how to adjust a lifestyle change. Telling someone "oh 1lb a week is great" is silly, there's no point in coddling people that's how they get so out of shape. It's so easy to lose weight if you really try and the best part, is the bigger you are, the faster it comes off.

First - your weight loss does not make you a nutritional expert.

second - one pound per week loss is pretty damn good.

Third - if she drinks a 200 calorie drink and is in a calorie deficit, for that day, then she is going to lose weight. Food type is not going to slow or speed up weight loss.

fourth - you do not get 'extra credit' for exceeding nutritional requirements. If she hits her calorie/macro/micro goal then it does not matter how she gets there.

finally - macro adherence is not important when ones goal is strictly fat loss.

Food = food there is nothing good, bad, or magical about it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Doctors recommend that obese people lose 5% to 10% of their body weight in 6 months.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is doing very well! Keep logging, drink plenty of water, plan to incorporate more activity (I would not count standing as exercise and log it, nor would I eat back those calories), and the weight will continue to come off. That rate of loss is, as has been noted, 50-100 pounds a year and is terrific.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think everything was covered but I would also like to point out that standing is NOT exercise. If you are counting that as such on mfp and eating those calories back then that will slow your weight loss for sure.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    To the previous poster ranting about cutting out all "junk". I lost 30lbs in 4 months a little over a year ago while eating anything I wanted as long as it fit in my calorie goal for the day. The only reason it was gained back is because of being very ill and in the hospital for a week. When I got out I completely stopped logging and throughout the past year gained it back. Point being, you don't have to live on celery sticks and water to lose weight.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Doctors recommend that obese people lose 5% to 10% of their body weight in 6 months.

I wanna give some figures here to put that in perspective. (I am not saying @Timothyfish is wrong. I just want to point out what a very modest goal that's being recommended IS)

I started my diet on 9/28/14 at 260lbs. So, that would mean that by a doctor's recommendation, I should lose 26 lbs by 3/28/15. (Let's just say that I'm in no danger whatsoever of failing to reach that goal)

So for me, we would have been talking about losing a milliscrunch over a pound a week to reach the most ambitious goal that a doctor would recommend.

Fast weight loss isn't necessarily all that amazing, is it?

• itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ndj1979: I won't quote your whole post but: hear, hear! Well said.
  • brdnw
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    To the previous poster ranting about cutting out all "junk". I lost 30lbs in 4 months a little over a year ago while eating anything I wanted as long as it fit in my calorie goal for the day. The only reason it was gained back is because of being very ill and in the hospital for a week. When I got out I completely stopped logging and throughout the past year gained it back. Point being, you don't have to live on celery sticks and water to lose weight.

So you're saying you didn't develop a new lifestyle and your temporary diet failed you.

You just reiterated all of my points. You kept eating crappy and now you're back at stage one. Being sick in a hospital for a week doesn't cause you to gain weight eating crap does.
  • brdnw
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

First - your weight loss does not make you a nutritional expert.

second - one pound per week loss is pretty damn good.

Third - if she drinks a 200 calorie drink and is in a calorie deficit, for that day, then she is going to lose weight. Food type is not going to slow or speed up weight loss.

fourth - you do not get 'extra credit' for exceeding nutritional requirements. If she hits her calorie/macro/micro goal then it does not matter how she gets there.

finally - macro adherence is not important when ones goal is strictly fat loss.

Food = food there is nothing good, bad, or magical about it.

"First" but you're an expert then? I'm leaner than you despite certainly weighing more and most likely lost more weight than you have, so i've got results backing my statements.

"Second" and one pound loss per weak is terrible. I don't understand people saying "take 3 years to lose all your weight". Get it now.

"third" Why bother? She said she's desperate, why drink garbage that hinders you. If she replaces those drinks with water will she not get a boost by dropping that 200 calories a day? You don't see people on biggest loser eating dominos bc it fits in their macros, they want results.

and "food DOES NOT = food". There are good food choices (one's that fill you up, provide nutrition with less calories) vs crappy choices that will lead you snacking more or still feeling hungry. I'd rather be in a deficit than saying "well it fits in my macros and i'm weak, so i might as well eat these candybars"