fitbit flex ?'s!!help!

Options
I just got a new fit bit. Can someone explain to me how it connects to MfP in regards to calories burned? Am I supposed to adjust my daily calorie goal at all? I have a polar watch to use for workouts so I am getting confused by the difference in the two when it comes to how it affects my daily calories.

Replies

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I found the fitbit flex to be so inaccurate that I actually threw it away. My advice would be to go by your HRM...that will give you the most accurate information.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it spot on for accuracy.

Have you been over to the Fitbit group? Here's the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Go there and follow the instructions.

I have mine set on sedentary so that my Fitbit calories kick in more quickly. Heads up though, it'll take calories away at the end of the day so don't eat all the calories it gives you-- leave yourself 100 or so on the table.
  • Melissa72187
    Melissa72187 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So when mfp syncs with the fit bit does it calculate extra calories I get towards my daily calories? I know when you set up mfp it already figures your daily calories according to the setting you choose-- sedentary, active etc. I guess where I'm confused is what am I supposed to do with the information that the fitbit collects? I mainly got it to know my calories burned, so how does that number come in to play? Sorry if I'm not making any sense lol I'm so confused!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    So when mfp syncs with the fit bit does it calculate extra calories I get towards my daily calories? I know when you set up mfp it already figures your daily calories according to the setting you choose-- sedentary, active etc. I guess where I'm confused is what am I supposed to do with the information that the fitbit collects? I mainly got it to know my calories burned, so how does that number come in to play? Sorry if I'm not making any sense lol I'm so confused!

Ok, so when you link Fitbit with MFP it'll give you a baseline number. Mine is 1600 for maintenance. Then throughout the day as your fitbit logs your steps you'll see your calorie goal adjusting. If you're more active it'll go up, and if you just sit around you'll see it starting to go down.
  • Melissa72187
    Options
    Okay that's making sense. Is the number they give you for the calories burned goal your tdee? Im familiar with iifym and I noticed its a little off but pretty close to what iifym calculates. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, they don't give you much information on how it actually works.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Okay that's making sense. Is the number they give you for the calories burned goal your tdee? Im familiar with iifym and I noticed its a little off but pretty close to what iifym calculates. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, they don't give you much information on how it actually works.

That's why I gave you the link to the Fitbit group. There's a lot of info for newbies there. Mine is set to maintain so the calorie goal it gives me is my TDEE. I'm not sure how it works if you have it set to lose.
  • Melissa72187
    Options
    Ok thank you, I'll check it out.