Fruit and Vegetable Detox

Options
I started a fruit and veggie detox to day to rid my body of toxins and hopefully boost my weight loss. Originally I planned to do two days, however my friend suggested for better results I should do 7. Has anyone ever tried this, and if so did it help?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What kind of toxins? Your body has a built in detox system. Your liver and kidneys.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I did a veggie juice detox back in June as a way to help me focus on limiting food and it helped me to get rid of cravings for things like sugar. I began my "sensible" weight-loss program immediately following. I lost a couple pounds in the 2 days of juice. I didn't like it very much. My son has used juicing a couple times to help him re-start weight-loss (when he has stalled....he's lost over 60 pounds in a year). He feels much better after doing the program, but he does have a couple of food-related medical issues, and although he is very careful, can get traces of the foods he doesn't tolerate, so this seems to help him rid his body of the results of the interloerables.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My son usually does a 3 day juice detox fast
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    What kind of toxins? Your body has a built in detox system. Your liver and kidneys.

This.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I started a fruit and veggie detox to day to rid my body of toxins and hopefully boost my weight loss. Originally I planned to do two days, however my friend suggested for better results I should do 7. Has anyone ever tried this, and if so did it help?

If your body is that full of toxins, you might want to consider going to the hospital.
  • lisadudley214
    Options
    I am doing the JJ Smith 10 day green smoothie detox and I have lost 12lbs in 6 days. Look it up on Amazon.com. Its a good plan, full of nutrients, In addition to the three smoothies a day, different recipe each day, you also eat snacks like celery and natural peanut butter, carrots, hardboiled egg etc. etc. Its working for me and on day 3 I started feeling so much better. Its a great kick start.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What toxins? Help in what way?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your friend gives bad advice.

If you have working kidneys and liver, then your body is already taking care of you. Fruits and veggies are fine, but detoxes/cleanses literally have zero benefit and also don't 'boost' anything.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

If you have working kidneys and liver, then your body is already taking care of you. Fruits and veggies are fine, but detoxes/cleanses literally have zero benefit and also don't 'boost' anything.

^^ This. I hope you take all this advice as it is meant, OP - Detoxes are a total farce.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    What the heck, in.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Detoxes "seem" to work in the short term. You generally lose a lot of water weight because you are likely getting much less sodium and shed water weight.... and you typically get far less calories so your body loses glycogen stores. So you can look at a scale and think success... but you are losing almost no fat. You go back to eating normal and you will quickly bounce back. Even if you use it to kick off a sensible diet plan... how much willpower have you spent on depriving yourself for three to seven day? Often it sets people up to struggle more and be more likely to binge.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There have been a number of studies now that have shown that nutrients in vegetables are best utilized by the body when they're cooked (for some, like carrots) or accompanied by fats. This gives a quick overview.

I'm all for eating more fruits and vegetables, but please understand that eating only fruits and vegetables/juicing is actually counterproductive.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

^^ This. I hope you take all this advice as it is meant, OP - Detoxes are a total farce.

+1
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Yeah, it IS January, isn't it?

"Toxins." (lolsnortlol) :smile:
  • lharris6993
    lharris6993 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I have actually successfully loss 30 pounds simply by following the 1200 calorie diet. I wanted to lose a few more for an upcoming wedding. I've read on Several sites that detoxing gives your body a head start. There's so much crap in our food, our liver and kidneys can do but do much.I appreciate your post, and thanks for being helpful. I am surprised by some of the not so nice comments, seeing that we are all here for a common goal, to get and stay healthy
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's a lot of really bad information on the internet.

There's no such thing as "detoxing" from bad food or giving your body a "kick start" on weight loss. If you're reasonably healthy, all you need is lots of water and functioning kidneys and a liver.

We're all in for being healthy but not for doing things that are a waste of time/money or information that is patently false.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This thread would sound better if OP said I will eat only those two because it is hard to stay in calorie limit set. Still bad but better than talking about random toxins.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am doing the JJ Smith 10 day green smoothie detox and I have lost 12lbs in 6 days. Look it up on Amazon.com. Its a good plan, full of nutrients, In addition to the three smoothies a day, different recipe each day, you also eat snacks like celery and natural peanut butter, carrots, hardboiled egg etc. etc. Its working for me and on day 3 I started feeling so much better. Its a great kick start.

Calorie deficit to lose 12 pounds in 6 days. That be crazy for me. Also I do not need a book to do that. It's common sense.