Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    groversa wrote: »
    The only part of doing the membership verses my own is the money, honestly I'm a broke college student, buying healthy foods is expensive enough haha. Most gyms that are close to me are around $35 a month or higher, except for Planet fitness, but I read that they don't really have weights to use.

Doesn't your college have a gym for students to use? Back when I was a collegiate whippersnapper we used to joke that tuition included a gym membership including pool and sauna. The weight room was usually reserved for a few hours in the afternoon for various athletic teams, but there were several open hours for all students every day. Of course, this was so long ago that the Stairmaster looked like a 4 step escalator, so, you know, maybe they don't do that anymore.

True. What about your college gym?

And p.s. I think that is still how real stair masters (step mills) look.
  • Linzer140fit
    Linzer140fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend here. Also maybe do some research and purchase current "how to" weight training book. Using these two tools and also watching how other people are doing their exercises, or even spying on a trainer working with a client you can learn exercises. Don't have to stalk them, just keep an eye out, if they're doing something you'd like to try, listen in, watch, learn and then try it later. Maybe start a notebook of exercises you know how to do and then add to it. When your work outs need changing you can look through it and pick some different things. I would recommend alternating days you do things though for your focus of body part. Like I fyou're going to weight train 3 days break your body into three areas....legs, chest and back. When you're working your chest and back they all use a lot of your arm strength so don't try to do all those exercises at once..kwim? You can do it, no one will laugh.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Colleges have gyms. Avail yourself of it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    no better time to start.... This is the Newbie Month. You will not be alone. Honestly, in every gym I've been a part of, the old timers are more likely to be helpful than critical. We've all been there... Even the guy with the biggest arms and chest in the gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    groversa wrote: »
    Does anyone recommend getting weights to do at home rather than pay for a gym membership?

you can get weights at home. they sell adjustable dumb bells with a relatively good range of weights. and you can get a kettlebell set that is very multi-faceted.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    does the "poor college student"s school have a gym? If so, bet they have people that would help as well. If not, watch people at the gym, research online and never be afraid to ask someone for help or advice
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'll be your weight lifting chick friend!!!!!

in case you are thinking of starting to lift! ~~> CLICK ME
This discussion has been closed.