Recommendations for frozen turkey burger brands?

Options
I LOVE turkey and recently tried out a box of frozen turkey burgers in an attempt to save some calories over a beef burger.

Unfortunately the brand that I bought (Philly-Gourmet) are awful and have a chemical flavor.

Any recommendations for better brands that I might find in my supermarket (US) ?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new quick ideas, so in. I haven't tried frozen burgers before.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Jenny-O
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's
  • ckapp289
    ckapp289 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love morning star vegetarian patties!
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ballpark turkey burgers are awful. No one in my family could eat them. I choked down as many as I could, but eventually threw them away.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love Jenny O & Trader Joe brands.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have yet to taste a frozen turkey burger I like. If you look at the ingredients in most, there's often a lot of added stuff (flavorings, fillers, sodium, etc.), most of which make for the "off" taste I believe you're experiencing as well.

I once found "plain" Jennie-O brand frozen turkey burgers (just turkey, no "extras"). But never again, so I just buy fresh ground turkey and make my own. I'll press out several patties, place wax paper between them, and freeze that way so I can grab one whenever I wish.
  • YvonneUSNRET
    YvonneUSNRET Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jenny O is ok but my favorite is the Gordon Foods Brand, they're delicious. Thick, tasty and no crazy fillers or preservatives. Even our pickiest eaters love them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat Jennie-O primarily, but I don't often find it in patties. I just buy the packages of ground turkey and use it in place of ground beef in recipes. I don't like the 99% lean because it's so dry and un-fun to eat. I find that 93% lean is PERFECT for me. Just the right amount of fat to keep it moist. I love the flavor and texture, and I find it preferable to ground beef, which has all that grease and nasty gristle to contend with. I'm not a fan of red meat anyway. I also recommend their sweet Italian turkey sausage. It's so good in Pasta e Fagioli.

pasta-e-fagioli-5_zps2ac39fb2.jpg
  • FitBelleVie
    FitBelleVie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Jenny-O is the best. The seasoned ones.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can make your own. Google recipes! I sometimes just add some Mrs. Dash and cook.

Mrs. Dash is so wonderful for lazy cooking. :)
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I thought you were looking for recipes. I used to simmer them in gravy, because turkey meat is so lean it really NEEDS to be simmered in gravy or it will be dry. Then I'd serve it with mashed potatoes or yams and cranberry sauce. Basically, keep it simple.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    funny I came here looking for turkey burger suggestions because we LOVED the Philly Gourmet brand and now they are discontinued. I guess I will give Jennie-o a try. I've tried Butterball and Bubba brand in the past and I thought they were disgusting.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I usually buy ground turkey and shred in vegetables and season, then I form into patties and flash freeze them so I have them on hand.
  • Seatown_Gal
    Seatown_Gal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's and Costco are the only ones I like.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to make your own, Trader Joe's are great. They only have turkey, salt, and rosemary.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's chicken burger patties are great.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Costco brand! (Kirkland)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have yet to taste a frozen turkey burger I like. If you look at the ingredients in most, there's often a lot of added stuff (flavorings, fillers, sodium, etc.), most of which make for the "off" taste I believe you're experiencing as well.

I once found "plain" Jennie-O brand frozen turkey burgers (just turkey, no "extras"). But never again, so I just buy fresh ground turkey and make my own. I'll press out several patties, place wax paper between them, and freeze that way so I can grab one whenever I wish.

This^

I put the Jennie-O turkey burgers on the grill......it was like eating a hockey puck.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients and make sure there aren't any added chemicals, I prefer to make my own, but in a pinch, the Trader Joe's ones work.