Just got asked by bloke in supermarket when my baby was due. I'm not pregnant.

Options
2»

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing so hard at Funkenwagnal's posts right now.

This hasn't happened to me, but it did happen to a friend of mine and then the lady followed up with "well, you have a really glowy complexion," which I thought was pretty smooth for someone with minimal social skills.
  • KTen6
    KTen6 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yup, this seriously just happened. And the frustrating thing? I'd just spent an hour working out to my Davina DVD.

To make matters worse, he then tried to justify his comment with 'well maybe you are pregnant and you just don't know it'? Which means that he also thinks I'm stupid enough to have got so far along that I'm 'showing' and not realise that I'm pregnant.

He probably asked in all innocence and with no malice, but ffs!!!!!! I mean, FFS!!!!! I am big, and yes, my tummy is the largest part of me and I really really want to get rid of it. But jesus cripes, how dare he?!!

I blame celebrity pregnancy bounce backs and the overall lack of common sense in the world. 3 days after I had a baby...THREE frickin days...I went into Burger King WITH MY NEWBORN and this guy asked me when my baby was due. The lady at the counter and I just stared at each other, stared at the baby, stared at him, back at each other. lol

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    oORosadaOo wrote: »
    So rude! I just can't wrap my head around the way total strangers feel it's ok to walk up to someone and comment on a very personal thing, be it pregnancy, weight or anything else. Getting a little dizzy from shaking my head. :confounded:

I live in NYC and take the subway every day. It's considered good etiquette to give up your seat to pregnant women, but there have been times when I literally can't tell if someone is pregnant or not. Then I'm left there thinking, if I offer the seat and she is pregnant-great. But if I offer it and she is not, then both of us are going to feel really uncomfortable.

But of course, these are two different circumstances and I really cannot believe the woman one person posted about, saying maybe if she lost weight she could get pregnant. Good grief.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "maybe you are pregnant and you just don't know it?"
    Whew, that was close! Good save, buddy. :p
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I had that happen. I think the woman was more embarrassed than I was. I had been gaining weight progressively so it was a natural assumption. I just said I'm not pregnant and kept walking. I know.knew I was overweight but it is times like that that it really hits you
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    oORosadaOo wrote: »
    So rude! I just can't wrap my head around the way total strangers feel it's ok to walk up to someone and comment on a very personal thing, be it pregnancy, weight or anything else. Getting a little dizzy from shaking my head. :confounded:

I live in NYC and take the subway every day. It's considered good etiquette to give up your seat to pregnant women, but there have been times when I literally can't tell if someone is pregnant or not. Then I'm left there thinking, if I offer the seat and she is pregnant-great. But if I offer it and she is not, then both of us are going to feel really uncomfortable.

But of course, these are two different circumstances and I really cannot believe the woman one person posted about, saying maybe if she lost weight she could get pregnant. Good grief.

When I was pregnant but didn't look big yet, I used to wear a maternity top, and I'd 'accidentally' flip the care tag so it was sticking out of my shirt on show, because all the tags on my shirts said 'maternity' in some say. It made it less worrisome for people on the train, because then they could safely give up a seat without being insulting.
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened. People are so rude. Seems like common sense to not ask that question. I have infertility issues and basically can't get pregnant and it's a major fear of mine that someone will ask me if I'm pregnant. I would definitely just break down and cry. Luckily (not really) I'm fat all over, so I think people know I'm just fat. I once worked with a woman for 4 months and was pretty sure she was pregnant, but never said a word about it. Then one day our manager tells us she's out for 3 months because she just had her baby. Lol. I might have seemed rude to never talk to her about her baby joy, but I'd rather risk that than mistakenly ask a non-pregnant woman if she's pregnant.
  • J3nspiration
    J3nspiration Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing a story like this at a Weight Watchers meeting years ago. I forget if it was in one of the pamphlets/magazines or one of the leaders telling the story, but she was teaching a gymnastics class and one of the parents became all concerned and shouted, "Should you be on that trampoline while pregnant?" and she wasn't pregnant. I live in fear every day that someone will ask me when I'm due. Not only do I have PCOS and probably fertility issues, but I'm married to another woman. Those who know me know this and do not ask. I pity the fool who does...because he or she will get to hear way TMI about my love life. ;-)