Am I too FAT for the C25K Challenge

Options
I would love to go from couch to 5k! I am a healthy 270lbs, 5'7 in height. Has anyone downloaded the app and completed the challenge? Anyone in the process of it? Any pointers will be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As long as you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes at a reasonable pace then you can reasonably use it. Just watch your pace, it's not a sprint, and invest in some decet shoes once you've started.

No reason not to
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    Never to fat to try
  • ShanellyBoo
    ShanellyBoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input and recommendations! :)
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't walk for 30 mins, start with 15 mins and add on 5 each time you walk.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i think it would be too much on your joints. Why not choose the elliptical instead? it burns more calories anyway
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    i think it would be too much on your joints.

Nonsense. C25K is a very gentle progression that helps build up the control around the knee and ankle joints over the course of the programme. Appropriate footwear helps, but it's not essential for everyone.
    Why not choose the elliptical instead? it burns more calories anyway

Notwithstanding that an elliptical is boring as hel, it really doesn't burn more calories once one can consistently run for a reasonable length of time.

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started it at 300lbs in Apr-13. I couldn't do 3 sessions a week as it hurt my knees so did 2 a week and cross trained (swim/ bike/ ellptical) on other days. Take it slow (in terms of running speed) and your fitness & stamina will increase quickly. I found that the thought of having to repeat the whole session was a great motivator to not quit on the last set of a session! As for does it work - last year I ran over 1250 miles inc a number of half marathons. This year I have 2 marathons and my first ultra marathon in the diary.

Best of luck :)
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I started C25k at close to 300 lbs. Just go slow - you should feel like you can hold a conversation while you're running. If you go too fast you'll burn out quick and likely will feel like you can't finish the workouts - so going slow is key, to help you build up your endurance.

I finished C25k in June and have been running regularly since - I now run around 5k three times per week as part of my regular exercise.
  • WolverineLean
    WolverineLean Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's really no point in doing cardio outside unless you really enjoy it (you'll definitely need running shoes for it). If you're aim is to lose weight (which it should be since 270 lbs at 5'7 is obese) then clean up your diet (try keto, works for everyone pretty much) and do some weightlifting/stationary cardio. C25k music is pretty boring, started using my own music, then I stopped once I got to 3k because it just wasn't worth it. But whatever works for you. Good luck.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the program now and so far so good. The hardest part for me is to push myself to do it but I'm planning to do my first 5K in April so I know that I have to. Make sure that you have decent shoes, something with good support to help protect your knees.
  • NeverSometimesTV
    NeverSometimesTV Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started C25K when I was about 272 and found it definitely doable. However, I have plantar fascitis and didn't make it past week 3 because my heels killed. I do Week 1 of C2K randomly and now that I'm down to 251, will probably start it up again in the next few weeks.
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k about year and half ago. I was 198 starting and completed at about 177. Trust the progress!
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with everyone who says to go for it. C25k is a great program. Even if you don't get up to running the full 5k by the end, you'll have a good running foundation.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with everyone who says to go for it. C25k is a great program. Even if you don't get up to running the full 5k by the end, you'll have a good running foundation.

Actually that last point is very valid. By the end of the programme you'll be able to run for 30mins without walking. However, its unlikely you'll be running 5k in those 30mins. it took me 6 months from completeing the programme to running my first sub 30min 5k but by then I could run for 90mins without stopping. Weight impacts on speed as you'd expect. I read somewhere (and not sure of the complete validity so don't take it as gospal) that each extra 1lb you lose equals 2s per mile quicker even if nothing else were to change, so each 1lb is worth in theory over 6s per 5k.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the program myself. Several years ago, I started the program. I unfortunately didn't finish as I used the excuse when I mildly injured my knee (playing with the kids) to fall off the wagon. :disappointed: What I did was change it to make it a slower start. You can adapt it to work for you. Start your intervals with just running for 30 seconds and walking 2 min, or 45sec/2min, and move on from there. After 2 weeks, then start the program as they wrote it if you feel you are ready. Regardless, like baldielove13 said, no matter how far you get, if you stick with it you'll be in better shape. Whether or not you have to repeat a week or slow it down, it's all good.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, good clothes, and learning good running form are important. Take your time, get those basics right ... start building the base ... run slow to start.
  • ShanellyBoo
    ShanellyBoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, THANK YOU everyone for the positive feedback and pointers. I am definitely encouraged to start my C25K journey and take it slow. One thing I forgot to mention is I started walking jan 5th for 1 mile a day the first week, now I started walking 1.5 miles. Just to give my body a jumpstart. I see running shoes are important, so it looks like I need to go shopping! :D Thanx again!
  • kristenmichelle9214
    Options
    Might be a stupid question but what's a c25k ? Lol
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think by starting with walking you have set yourself up for a great start. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you just can't do the next step-up, but don't stop challenging yourself either. And yes... GOOD running shoes are a MUST. I never made it past week 2 before I bought new shoes. I was doing great on week 5 last year on 2 different occasions and then I ended up going in for surgery both times and being sidelined for weeks each time. Not a good excuse, I know, but looking forward to starting it again when it warms up (I'm in Wisconsin, to freaking cold, and I use the elliptical in the winter).

I recommend going into a specialty store where they assess how you walk and run. Even if you don't buy your shoes there (although they usually have very competitive prices) the info is priceless.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started "running" around 282 pounds (5'6") so I was in a very similar starting position to you! It was mostly me starting out as a very slow walker, and adding in little bursts of jogging - which made me wheeze embarrassingly. Not even 6 months later, and I just ran for 40 straight minutes without stopping and probably could have gone longer. Like others have said, just don't push yourself and you should be fine. Running has been my primary form of exercise since I started (I love it) and I'm currently sitting around 224. Good luck to you, and don't get discouraged if you just can't do the program the way they want you to. You can always re-do days until you feel confident enough to continue on.