Eating every couple hours?....

Options
So before I have lost 70lbs in 5-6 months by eating every 3-4 hours. I ate 4oz chicken and 4oz of broccoli (no salt, butter, or oil) I am on week #2 of doing this again. I was wondering if anyone out there has dieted before with eating every few hours, and your stories with it. How much did you weigh before, how long did you do it, how much weight lost, and what kind of exercise were you doing along with it?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Timing of food has no impact on weight loss. AMOUNT of food, or rather amount of calories, is key.
  • Keensa16
    Keensa16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Timing does actually have an important role in weight loss. For instance when you get up in the morning you should drink some water and wait at least 15 minutes before eating something. You want to give your system a little bit of time to start up and get ready to process and digest the food. In the past I have dieted and I found myself eating something roughly every 2 to 2.5 hours. I'd start of my day (7-7:30am breakfast time) with some whole wheat toast, a whole egg and about 4oz of egg whites, and then around 10:30 I would eat some almonds/walnuts and carrots for a snack. This worked very well for me. If you eat meals/snacks too far apart your body will try to save the calories/nutrients and store it, whereas if you're eating small snacks once in a while your body will be constantly processing and burning the energy; it won't go into the saving mode which you don't want.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I snack between my main 3 meals, but all things I enjoy that are healthy/non-processed type food. I just stay within my calories, maintain limits on carbs, sugar, etc.
    I can't deprive myself on food I enjoy (foods that lack salt, butter, oil) otherwise I wouldn't be able to stick with it and end up crashing and burning into binge eating island.
    Portion control and keeping track of my calories in/out are key for me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Keensa16 wrote: »
    Timing does actually have an important role in weight loss. For instance when you get up in the morning you should drink some water and wait at least 15 minutes before eating something. You want to give your system a little bit of time to start up and get ready to process and digest the food. In the past I have dieted and I found myself eating something roughly every 2 to 2.5 hours. I'd start of my day (7-7:30am breakfast time) with some whole wheat toast, a whole egg and about 4oz of egg whites, and then around 10:30 I would eat some almonds/walnuts and carrots for a snack. This worked very well for me. If you eat meals/snacks too far apart your body will try to save the calories/nutrients and store it, whereas if you're eating small snacks once in a while your body will be constantly processing and burning the energy; it won't go into the saving mode which you don't want.

Debunked Bro-science. No, No, 1000 times NO!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Actually, it really doesn't. Your body still functions while you sleep.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Please point me towards the studies conducted to support this.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

This is all wrong or do you have links that are not a decade old to confirm this evidence.

Only think meal timing might have impact on is physical performance
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If your system stops you will die. Drinking a glass of water after death has not been shown to have any positive effects on weight loss.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    My reasoning for snacking is that I'm spreading my calories throughout the day, I don't want to feel like I'm starving during lunch or dinner and then over eat. So, if I'm hungry between meals I'll have a sensible snack. No meal timing, no over-thinking, just watching my calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    OP do like eating every couple hours?
    Does it help you stay on track?

If yes, than continue doing it. What matters overall is staying within your calorie goals, and finding a way you can adhere to your plan. If no, than switch it up eat 1 meal or eat 10 whatever works for you.

I started at 285 lbs down to 162, took me about 18 months, on average I ate 1-2 meals a day. Eating between 1500-1900 calories of food I love and ending almost every night with ice cream or some dessert. For exercise I lift, bike ride and run. It's the keep it simple plan works wonders.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    gbjess204 wrote: »
    So before I have lost 70lbs in 5-6 months by eating every 3-4 hours. I ate 4oz chicken and 4oz of broccoli (no salt, butter, or oil) I am on week #2 of doing this again. I was wondering if anyone out there has dieted before with eating every few hours, and your stories with it. How much did you weigh before, how long did you do it, how much weight lost, and what kind of exercise were you doing along with it?

Nothing magical or revolutionary about eating every 3-4 hours. It is pretty normal.
    I eat breakfast. About 3 or 4 hours later I eat lunch. I have a snack 3 or 4 hours after that and dinner 3 or 4 hours later. Another 3 hours or so I might have a snack and then go to bed and not eat until morning. Pretty typical eating pattern.

I think you lost weight in the past simply because you reduced your calories. The timing had nothing to do with it. Just log your calories and don't eat more than you burn each day.

I find planning ahead and pre- logging my day to be very helpful.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 3-4 hours and it helps me to not get overly hungry. The real key is staying within my calorie budget. I agree with above posters that there is nothing about meal timing that creates a better weight loss. It does help me to control how hungry I get and for me that is worth it.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My issue when I eat every few hours is that my body gets used to it and I get hungry at those specific times during the day which is a PITA when I'm out some where. That means having to pack snacks or finding a place to eat. I personally don't like having my life revolve around food and when I need to eat next.

With that said though if I DO consciously eat every few hours while I am at home I am not starving at meal time and won't over eat so it's really a catch 22.
  • gbjess204
    gbjess204 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow guys simmer down!!! Obliviously we are not experts at weight loss or we would not have to use an app to help us. Different things work differently for each person. My cousin that is a fitness professional is the one that pointed me towards this method in the beginning because what I was doing was not working for me.

Eating every few hours does help me and has helped a few people I know, but it might not be the best for some people.

As for the studies, there are hundreds of studies done on weight loss and for eating every few hours..... EACH study will have different results because they are all not using the same control, the same food with the same chemical makeup. Each study did not have the participants doing to the same activities (or lack of)..... this is not a who right or who is wrong.

This is about supporting people, I just want stories from people who have done this before not "well matter of fact"..... geez people
  • gbjess204
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Wow guys simmer down!!! Obliviously we are not experts at weight loss or we would not have to use an app to help us.

This is a fitness and calorie counting site. Not a weight loss site.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The OP just shared her story, she wasn't advocating for others to follow the same path or any other path. No need to crash her party.

The dude with the "glass of water on wakeup", on the other hand... :drinker:

EDIT: Woops, nevermind, OP went and blew it with that last post. Game on! :smiley:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    And if this is a "whose dick is bigger" my fiance's father IS a doctor with a specialty of weight loss and his studies from his actual overweight patients do show, eating small every few hours did much more for their weight loss than before when they were eating a few big meals- with the same caloric intake

Links?
  • gbjess204
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    And if this is a "whose dick is bigger" my fiance's father IS a doctor with a specialty of weight loss and his studies from his actual overweight patients do show, eating small every few hours did much more for their weight loss than before when they were eating a few big meals- with the same caloric intake

Links?

His studies are print- I do not know if he published them or not, I will ask. Since it is family I got copies of his personal journals.

I will ask him if they are published and where to find them.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was just always hungry. I think I like the "feeling full" feeling from larger meals.