Fitbit vs. Heart rate monitor with calorie counter

Options
Hello everyone! I'm kind of a technology kind of girl and was thinking I wanted to buy a Fitbit Flex or maybe the Fitbit Charge. Anyway, I have a Polar FT4 that I paid $100 for last year that tracks heart rate and calories. However, I like all of the functions that I've seen the Fitbits have. I guess my question is do you really like the Fitbit? Do you feel like it's accurate? Do you feel that its essential to you now on your weight loss journey? Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've had a Flex for a few days and I like it. It seems accurate since I've had the app on my phone and watched it track my steps in real time. I do not feel it is an essential part of my weight loss or fitness endeavors since I've gotten in shape without one but it is a cool device.

Add me if you'd like a Fitbit friend https://fitbit.com/user/355VKK
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like the Fitbit, but it's just a glorified pedometer. It does motivate me to get up and move a bit more throughout the day. I don't use the calorie counting function of it as it doesn't track anything except steps so it really has no idea.

I also use an HRM when running or cycling. It is a training tool designed to monitor heart rate.

They are used in completely different fashions and shouldn't really be compared to each other as they do different things.
  • sheenabyrd
    sheenabyrd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 HRM and I love it. I love being able to set up weekly training programs and I also like being able to see my daily/weekly workout summaries. I cannot image working out without it now. It helps keep me motivated. I am hoping using this app for my food and my HRM watch for tracking my calories burned will help me with my fitness goals.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have both, use both and love both! I use the digifit/icardio app with my HRM and sync it to my Fitbit account, works awesome :) Then I sync my Fitbit account to MFP to pull in exercise calories and don't log any workouts into MFP.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am worried that I am missing out on is what I am not counting within my daily activity. Like for instance, if I spend 3 hours cleaning the house, I don't count that because I'm not sure how to track that. I think the Fitbit would capture this. Is that right?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wear a fitbit every day and use a Polar FT 4 for workouts

The 2 together work very well for me

Workouts I log on MFP by time / calories and they overwrite the steps over that time
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm kind of a technology kind of girl and was thinking I wanted to buy a Fitbit Flex or maybe the Fitbit Charge. Anyway, I have a Polar FT4 that I paid $100 for last year that tracks heart rate and calories. However, I like all of the functions that I've seen the Fitbits have. I guess my question is do you really like the Fitbit? Do you feel like it's accurate? Do you feel that its essential to you now on your weight loss journey? Any feedback is appreciated.

I am in the same boat with the FT1 and I want a FitBit Flex. I would like to know the answer you get also.
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    no, it would only count the steps you take, not the actual hard work of scrubbing and cleaning. Fitbit is coming out with the Surge soon, and that has a heart rate monitor on it as well so that would be more beneficial. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh and I started with a fitbit flex which was great but needs recharging every 3 days or so ...and is easy to wear and leave on your wrist

But I really wasn't needing to track sleep so I downgraded to a zip which I find much better as it has a 6 month battery, I can wear it in my bra and wear bracelets again or in my trouser pockets - waistband ..also has a better display ..it's about half the price

Fitbit app gives me TDEE averages over the last 3 months which is helpful for maintenance
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There is a group on the community for Fitbit Users and MFP members. The author says to log non-step information on MFP and let the Fitbit count the step-type workouts. Look into the group for Fitbit Users and MPF members.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a One, which is just a glorified pedometer! I like it but really don't use it that much because i use my Polar when i'm working out! I would look into the newest FitBit they have called the Surge if you want to track heart rate. Its a continuous tracker from what i've read. They run about $250 right now!
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I also use both a HRM and have used a fitbit daily for the last year. While I like using both, neither are essential. In fact, my weight was flat if not up a bit after increasing my activity with the fitbit. It is a good motivator to get up and move more, which has to be a good thing, but of course the key is to consume less calories than you expend. I love the HRM for training runs, but I agree with a previous poster that the fitbit is mainly just a fancy pedometer. I don't see much benefit for the sleep tracking or really anything else than just the step tracking. I'm glad I received one as a gift and I would miss it if I didn't have it, so as a fellow gadget person, I would suggest getting one, but just don't expect too much out of it.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I replaced my Fitbit Zip with a Fitbit Flex. I managed to break two Fitbit Zips in six months. I think I am a bit too rough carrying Zip in my pocket. Hopefully, the Flex on my wrist will do better.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ok -So far, it's a no on the Fitbit. Unless I decide to buy the expensive one with the heart rate monitor which I have already in the Polar FT4. I think I will save the money for now. Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's much appreciated.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've just got a flex and love it! I love that it accounts for my activity and gives me a real-time balance of calories in v calories out and how much I have left. Definitely motivates me more that MFP on its own as I see at a glance how many Cals I have burned and I think 'oh I'm gonna go for a walk and get some more ' it's like a little competiton with myself!
  • carybear21
    carybear21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and a Polar FT4. Up until a week ago, I was only using my fitbit to track calories, and had "retired" my Polar HR monitor. But last week I was curious if my Fitbit was actually tracking my workouts as well as the Polar was, so I tried wearing both. I found that the Fitbit was great for daily stuff (walking, working, siting on the couch) but my Polar tracked more calories burned during high-intensity activities and feels a lot more accurate. From now on I will wear my Fitbit Charge HR all day, but use my Polar for workouts. I also use MyFitnessPal and will log the calorie count from Polar on my workouts, rather than the Fitbit.

Hope that helps.