More Back Pain Since I Lost The Weight!

Options
For 16 years I was overweight. By around 50 pounds. My back never bothered me much. As far as I know, I have never injured my back. As of July 2014, I have lost the weight, but I have back pain on the lower left side of my back. I do have arthritis in my back, maybe from being overweight, but I'm not sure that's what's causing all the pain. It acts like arthritis in that it gets somewhat better after I move around. It is the worst during the night when I move, and after I get up in the morning. I think something I'm doing must be aggravating my back, but I'm not sure what. At this point I'm trying to figure out what I might be doing wrong, and what I can do to help. The only thing I notice that bothers my back so far is bicep curls with alternating arms - they twist my spine. I am going to do more stretches, and maybe change my abdominal routine somewhat.

Has anyone else had pain on just one side of their back that they have been able to resolve?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lots of different reasons for one-sided back pain, but common culprits include sleeping on one side only, or leaning to the side when sitting / driving. There are orthopedic reasons too, like having a flattened foot arch. If you're unsure, it's best to get an assessment by an orthopedist or physical therapist. In the mean time, let us know if this stretch helps. In your case, you would lean to the RIGHT.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m0kMPOfxPos

What do you do for cardio / exercise?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot. Sometimes use stationary bike or treadmill. Have been doing Stronglifts for a year and a half.. Also do abdominal work.

Thank you for the stretch. It looks like a good one.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to my pain. I have a bulged disc and instibality due to pars fractures.

I'd visit your doc for an MRI, maybe try physical therapy. I've battled mine for 3 years, I don't want surgery or to live on meds. I think I can rehab it.

Lay off of any thing that hurts in a bad way, antiinflammatories, ice/heat, foam roller, massages, and most important- core strength and stretching. Be proactive in your care.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question for your doctor, who should be able to help you figure out what's going on and refer you for PT. It could be something very simple (ergonomics of your office, needing a new mattress)--or not. Sympathies on the arthritis. I have a touch of spinal arthritis too and it's not fun.
  • PieSaver
    Options
    Have you tried a regular yoga routine?
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Many years ago, I did do yoga for a while, but have not done any of it since then. I have been to the doctor just this Monday. I got x-rays, which show that the arthritis in my spine has gotten worse since 2009. No indications as to why the pain is only on one side, though. My doctor prescribed acetaminophen for pain, but did not suggest PT or anything. Regarding exercise she just said if something hurts, modify it.

I plan to start doing more stretches, and to change my abdominal routine some.
  • holly_wendelin
    holly_wendelin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had back pain for 15 years, since my mid-twenties. I started doing yoga about 7 years ago and it changed my life. I was doing beginners and intermediate yoga about 5 or 6 days a week, and after 6 months, I realized that my back pain was totally gone. I was doing no other exercise at the time. I don't do it that frequently anymore, but my back has never hurt like it used to since I started doing yoga.

I recommend that you start going to yoga at least every other day. It doesn't have to be a strenuous class. I tried everything before; anti-inflammatories, chiropractors, pain killers, walking, and it's the only thing that ever made a difference.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thanks, but there is no way I can fit that into my schedule.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hey! How about an exercise ball! My physical therapist suggested I get one. Its easy, but challenging enough to strengthen my core. Good luck, keep at it you will find something you can do even if you are making a point to walk you are making progress.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I should learn how to do more with an exercise ball, I guess. I do walk pretty much every day. Also trying some new stretches.
  • Whispery
    Whispery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your doctor needs a tune-up-- it's been proven that acetaminophen does pretty much nothing for back pain. Anti-inflammatories are usually the way to go unless you've got other health complications. I'd go see a doctor who'd do an MRI and get you into some more intensive therapies. Living in pain isn't fun or healthy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone needs to do some lifting of weights for the health of their body.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs to do some lifting of weights for the health of their body.

I've been lifting weights for the past year and a half.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    Whispery wrote: »
    Your doctor needs a tune-up-- it's been proven that acetaminophen does pretty much nothing for back pain. Anti-inflammatories are usually the way to go unless you've got other health complications. I'd go see a doctor who'd do an MRI and get you into some more intensive therapies. Living in pain isn't fun or healthy.

Well, that is not what I've read. Also, since I take aspirin to thin my blood, it is better for me to take acetaminophen.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Deadlifts, good mornings, rows, pull ups?
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I do deadlifts, but can't seem to get my form right, so not good for my back. I do rows. Haven't gotten into pull-ups yet. I do Stronglifts, and some other stuff for legs, and arms. Also abdominal work.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching your hammies, too. My hubs gets back pain when his hamstings are tight and need stretched out.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Work on your form, a bad deadlift is a good way to lame up your back.

So I'm curious, what does your treatment team suggest?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to see your doc. Have you?
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whispery wrote: »

Well, that is not what I've read. Also, since I take aspirin to thin my blood, it is better for me to take acetaminophen.

You read wrong - acetaminophen is generally useless for back pain - source: pretty much every person I know dealing with ongoing back pain & 30 years of dealing with my own - ibuprofen and stronger anti-inflammatories are what the vast majority take for back pain issues

Are you sure your back can handle your weight program? Depending on your issues, there may be things you just shouldn't do.