Keep Trying, Keep Failing

Options
mavers1
mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on a weight loss journey forever. I gained all of my weight in highschool about 7 years ago. I was 250 lbs my senior year of high school. I got down to 220 lbs last year, but in the past year I have put on 50 pounds.

I keep trying and failing to lose weight. I'll go several months on a diet and exercise plan and then give up because I'm not seeing any results. I just don't know how to make it stick.

I notice with my current weight, which is the highest I've ever been, my skin is awful, my knees are starting to hurt more, my back hurts more, and although I think I'm beautiful, I am more ashamed of my body than I have been in a while.

How do you create a plan and make it work for you?
I'm struggling as I both work full time and go to school full time and I want to make these changes and be healthy. I don't like how round my face is, that the definition of my calves have disappeared. I just need help getting started.

I appreciate any recommendations and advice

-mav

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your attention, support, and advice. I'm really noticing that weightloss is something I have to make time for. I need to get better at timme management to make sure that I'm not denying myself my health.

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I need accountability so I had to get a personal trainer. I needed someone to call me out on things when I was sort of calling in a work out. She created a plan for me and told me to join MFP and log everything. I was shocked how many calories I was eating. I went for working out 3 times per week to now every day. I did that gradually through her help.

A personal trainer is not for everyone but I needed it.

Good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a place to start. There are additional threads located at the top of the forum.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Start tracking what you eat for a week or so. Then look over your diary and see where you can make changes. You don't need special food just eat what you normally eat. As for exercise, walking is good and it is good for mental health. I know it lightens my mood. Good luck and best wishes!! You can do this :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

To summarize: losing weight isn't complicated, although (as you know) it is hard. You have to ensure that you're expending more calories than you're taking in. The MFP way to do that is to count food calories accurately (use a food scale for solids, and a scale or measuring cups for liquids), estimate your BMR and activity level as accurately as possible, and log exercise calories accurately. (MFP's database overestimates most exercise, though, so many people log only 50-75% of its numbers.)

If you think you're at a caloric deficit but you don't lose weight over a few weeks, then you're almost certainly off in at least one of your estimates. In that case, aim for a lower net.

And to keep weight off, you need to think of this not as a diet, or as a "journey" that has a destination, but rather, as a lifestyle change. Many people who lose weight gain it back because they go back to the same habits that led to weight gain in the first place.

Read that post, and good luck!
  • mavers1
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I need accountability so I had to get a personal trainer. I needed someone to call me out on things when I was sort of calling in a work out. She created a plan for me and told me to join MFP and log everything. I was shocked how many calories I was eating. I went for working out 3 times per week to now every day. I did that gradually through her help.

A personal trainer is not for everyone but I needed it.

Good luck!

I forgot to include, that I can't afford a personal trainer, because I would love one, but I do not have the means. Tuition is quite expensive these days...
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I had the same issue as you. I finally changed how I did it. Bought a food scale, and I weigh and track every thing I eat. I make sure to stay with in my calorie range.
    I also think my FitBit has helped. I am one for a challenge. So trying to hit my step goal each day makes me move more and burn more calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Baby steps. Start tracking what you eat for a week or so. Then look over your diary and see where you can make changes. You don't need special food just eat what you normally eat. As for exercise, walking is good and it is good for mental health. I know it lightens my mood. Good luck and best wishes!! You can do this :)
    Exactly this. If you aren't losing weight, and don't have underlying medical issues, then you're eating more calories than you're burning. It's really as simple as that. Track absolutely everything you eat and drink. Gum, vitamins, the Hershey's kiss from a co-worker's candy dish, every single thing. Most people who really start tracking are shocked how many calories they are actually eating every day.

Once you figure out what you're really consuming you can figure out how to make small changes to lower your calories to stay under the calorie goal MFP sets for you. You don't need to buy special foods, just eat less of the foods you already eat. Keep in mind, though, while you can certainly lose weight eating nothing but french fries. Twinkies and chocolate you'll be really unhappy doing it. Vegetables give you more nutrients for far fewer calories. Lean protein (chicken, fish, etc.) will help to keep hunger at bay longer. Most of us find that eating better helps us to feel better.

Add more movement into your day. You don't need to buy a gym membership or special equipment. Park at the back of the parking lot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk during your breaks at work. Those were the things that I started doing a few years ago when I realized I was barely moving during the day because I went from my car to my desk to my car to my sofa. Walking lead to running a little which lead to half marathon races which lead to weight lifting and running. I'm in better shape at 48 than I was at 28 and I was in decent shape back then.

Most importantly, make changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life. This isn't a sprint, it's a lifelong marathon. Don't expect or try to lose weight really quickly. Slow and steady definitely wins the race. If you don't like an activity, don't do it. If you can't take another day eating carrot sticks and cottage cheese, don't eat them.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    With tuition do you get access to a fitness center?
  • rebecca_dsu
    rebecca_dsu Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The first step for me was accepting that this was going to be a life long war...I don't remember when it started, and it won't end til I die. With that freedom to not look for a finish line, I just started taking life day by day. I started out really small (with big results)...give up any kind of soda you are drinking and replace it with water (you mentioned your skin being awful which I bet means you aren't drinking enough straight up water...or even water with a splash of fruit juice is okay). Then work on what you are eating. Try replacing some of the bad foods with good foods. Put quinoa in the place of rice. A grilled chicken breast in the place of fried chicken, etc, etc. Don't make it difficult with some fancy diet program that guarantees rapid results. Baby steps! Then try adding in a walk here and there.

I did eventually have weight loss surgery but had already lost a lot of weight on my own. Find what works for you....not what works for someone else. Everyone is different, and you just have to keep trying different things until something clicks for you. Good luck!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This feed is my exact thoughts! I am having a hard time as well. It's so good to know we are not alone! I am always looking for support and to be a suporter if anyone wants to add me as a friend! :)
  • mavers1
    Options

I do, I start class next week and I was going to start doing some of my exercises at the center. We have a treadmill at my house, but I really want access to the weights.
  • mavers1
    Options
    The first step for me was accepting that this was going to be a life long war...I don't remember when it started, and it won't end til I die. With that freedom to not look for a finish line, I just started taking life day by day. I started out really small (with big results)...give up any kind of soda you are drinking and replace it with water (you mentioned your skin being awful which I bet means you aren't drinking enough straight up water...or even water with a splash of fruit juice is okay). Then work on what you are eating. Try replacing some of the bad foods with good foods. Put quinoa in the place of rice. A grilled chicken breast in the place of fried chicken, etc, etc. Don't make it difficult with some fancy diet program that guarantees rapid results. Baby steps! Then try adding in a walk here and there.

I did eventually have weight loss surgery but had already lost a lot of weight on my own. Find what works for you....not what works for someone else. Everyone is different, and you just have to keep trying different things until something clicks for you. Good luck!

Actually, all I drink is water outside of the couple of beers I have every so often with my friends. The skin issues are with the areas that see more friction than other areas. I should have been clear.

But thank you!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    How did you lose the weight the first time? What worked and what didn't? Use that as a tool to build off of and make adjustments. Yes, the info here is very valuable, but you have to get you mind on board first. You have to want the result enough to make the changes needed to obtain it.

Start with tracking everything you eat accurately. See how many calories you are eating compared to how many you should be eating. Then start making changes. You can do this! You're too young to be dealing with poor health due to weight issues. Be determined!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    mavers1 wrote: »

I do, I start class next week and I was going to start doing some of my exercises at the center. We have a treadmill at my house, but I really want access to the weights.

Weight lifting is awesome. I started earlier this year and really wish I'd started back at the beginning. Be sure you're getting enough protein (MFP's goal is really too low but you can adjust it upwards) to help your efforts. You should be shooting for at least .5 gram of protein for each pound of your body weight. One positive of all of the extra weight you're carrying around is that your body has added muscle to help you move it. Weight lifting will help you keep that muscle while you lose fat. Losing the fat will allow those muscles show through.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    As a few above have said, track what you eat, and track how much you exercise. Results often don't come quickly, so don't expect the loss to be fast or consistent. Based on my experience I can tell you that weight loss involves the following:

1) Figuring out what you need to change. (How many calories per day/how much exercise per day/). I think the trickiest number to come up with for me was finding out when to eat more because of exercise.
    2) Sitting on your butt won't make it smaller. You do need to exercise. Experiment! Find something you like, find something that you will keep doing. Find something you can get mentally addicted to.
    3) Face it. Veggies are involved. You don't have to like them, but you do have to eat them. Some of them you can learn to like, too. If you don't already know how to cook, learning, and then experimenting with new recipes can help you here too. Veggies will help you on those days where you're really hungry. They mainly help by providing a low calorie way to get more food in your belly. Friends laugh at me, but going to Subway and building a salad on top of the sub isn't a bad way to work yourself into the veggie habit...

Don't give up so quickly. Sometimes it takes a good 3-4 weeks to establish a routine for yourself. The more consistent you can be, the better your results.

I also see that you go to school/work Full time. You're going to have to FIND time to put thought into what you eat. So you might have to do some homework. Research and make a list of healthy foods at local fast food restaurants/vending machines/ or any place that you frequently 'fly by' to get food. Then stick to that list. You may end up eating the same things all the time, but you'll be in control. My advice to you is to take about 20-30 minutes each day and make a rough list of what you're going to eat. (Heck, even enter it in MFP the night before). Once you've identified what you think you can eat based on your schedule, its not a big leap to make substitutes during the day.

Hope all this helps!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great but your weightloss plan shouldn't hinge on it. I see it as a way to be healthier. Your journey shouldn't fail because you couldn't make it to the gym this week.

I would start by seeing how much you should eat to lose weight. Then plan your meals and snacks around that number (talking calories). Don't get to aggressive, plan for a pound or so a week to start. Make sure to include some things you love.

It's oke to have some indulgences, but if you find you can't control how much you eat of it leave it alone till you have a better handle on your self control.

Most important. Log everything and as accurate as you can and be honest with yourself.

Stay near your calorie goal and you should lose weight.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes tuition can be very expensive. I work at a university. I know each one of the universities I have worked had a fitness center with classes for students and some even nutritionist for students.

If you commute to school try parking across campus so you can get a walk in a few times per day. I am the person that even on a rainy day I will take the last parking space in the parking lot to just get a few extra minutes of movement before my desk job. :D

Good luck with everything!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You work full time and go to school full time? So how many hours a week are you busy then? 70-80? No wonder you're finding it difficult to find time and the mental energy to focus on your health!

As someone above said, losing weight isn't difficult but it really is hard and I find it takes a solid committment to it as it was an absorbing hobby.

Is there any way you can cut down on your other commitments a little to give yourself space for this task over the next year?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My heart broke when you described your attempts at weight loss "failures". Life is too beautiful and you are too young to feel so broken down, when obviously in other areas of your life you are accomplished, smart.

This is what the doctor who runs my Weight Wise program has to say about the struggle to lose and to maintain the loss.

http://www.drsharma.ca/running-down-the-up-escalator.html

Some friends have found his message discouraging, but it was a revelation for me. What you are attempting to do is very, very hard.

But it can be done.

The great bulk of my weight loss was done by making small changes and incorporating them as new habits. My idea of what a "portion" is has drastically reduced. Pre-planning can help. You might bulk cook on the weekend and package up your portions ahead of time.
  • mavers1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You work full time and go to school full time? So how many hours a week are you busy then? 70-80? No wonder you're finding it difficult to find time and the mental energy to focus on your health!

As someone above said, losing weight isn't difficult but it really is hard and I find it takes a solid committment to it as it was an absorbing hobby.

Is there any way you can cut down on your other commitments a little to give yourself space for this task over the next year?

I wish. This is my last semester and if I get into grad school then the cycle starts to repeat itself all over again. I actually just received a grant which I'm really excited about, so what I'm hoping is that since my schedule will be so tight, I will have to get better with my planing, including my food and exercise, etc. It really doesn't seem like I'll be able to pull back in my academics until May after I graduate.

I really wish I had a year of doing just one thing so I could focus on getting myself into the habit of being healthy.