Best Supermarket Soup options

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on their favourite supermarket brand soups for weight loss. I've never really eaten soup before so not sure where to get started!

Replies

• smreid88
    smreid88 Posts: 7 Member
    Healthy Planet makes some nice one. The Moroccan Chickpea and Indian Split Pea have a good balance of calories and protein. I think you can only get them in Canada though.
  • sgk1231
    sgk1231 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't have any brand recommendations but I would go for low sodium options. Canned soups are loaded with sodium which, for me at least, can make you bloat.
  • Ginoza
    Ginoza Posts: 21
    yeah I just checked on Tesco and it doesn't look like they have them in the UK, I'll look out for similar flavours though, thanks!
  • Ginoza
    Ginoza Posts: 21
    sgk1231 wrote: »
    I don't have any brand recommendations but I would go for low sodium options. Canned soups are loaded with sodium which, for me at least, can make you bloat.

Makes sense, I'll definitely be wary of that, thanks.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    YES!! I have many for when I am too lazy to do up my own soup/veg microwave combo.

I like the progresso varieties that clock in at 60 cals or so per cup.

When I have calories to spare and want a "splurge" kind of soup the buffalo chicken one is super yummy (I think that may also be a progresso brand, but not light)

I like tomato soup with some frozen spinach thrown in for bulk (though really the tomato soup itself is so calorie dense lately I have found other options I prefer for the same amount of cals).

The lowest cal options I have found are chicken noodle or some of the "light" style soups.

Though really, the best bang for your buck calorie and nutrition wise is to get a bag of frozen veg and toss it in with some bullion- the "better than boullion" is my choice when going this route (comes in a jar) along with a bag of my grocery's either "soup mix" veggies or "gumbo mix" veggies (though there are plenty of other bagged mixes that clock in at even less calories, the mirepoix blend being one example).

Experiment and look around there are lots of great options! I love soup in these cold months!
  • hortensehildegarde
    almost forgot- if you ever see it floating around that ridiculous "cabbage soup diet" is silly, but the recipe it gives for the base soup is actually quite yummy if you like the veggies it contains. I make that soup just because I like it! (it surely will not make any miraculous weight loss, but because it mainly contains low cal veggies is a low cal soup)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    when buying soup instead of making it, I like the organic Pacific soups. Most are purees. The ginger carrot is amazing . Nice and spicy and only like 90 calories a cup. They also sell soup starters. I get the Pho starter (since making broth for pho is mad time consuming and kinda gross since you have to clean the bones really good) and then just add my meats and veg to it.
  • hortensehildegarde
    Ginoza wrote: »
    sgk1231 wrote: »

Makes sense, I'll definitely be wary of that, thanks.

the bloat won't make you gain weight though. It'll pass at some point. If your focus is on getting your calories down retaining water won't actually hurt you.

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Get some chicken broth - or veggie broth - no sodium added - and add whatever you want. I'm a vegetarian - I add a ton of beans and veggies. Done!