Throw away your scale!!!!

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Uh... muscle and water have volume too. Losing an inch doesn't exclude muscle or water losses.

yep and you can also easily gain an inch due to water and then freak out. measurements fluctuate just as much as the scale does.

Yes! My biceps can gain an inch if I do a workout after a one month break. Alas, that's due to swelling, and not a massive gain in muscle fibers. If you want to know what a scale loss represents, try a scale that measures body fat. zid4c9u4gku4.png
    In the above chart from one point in my journey, body fat trends are far more illuminating than total body weight in seeing that I'm doing something correctly. You don't need a very accurate scale to do something like this, merely a consistent one.

I totally agree about weighing at the same time each day, especially when you wake-up, and tape measures are a great alternative to weigh-ins if you're obsessive about scales.

I don't think the body fat percentages on those scales are accurate, even for trends from what I've heard. I wouldn't trust it.

That function on my scale broke a long time ago though anyway.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I don't think this all really needed snarky responses back. It was definitely well meaning. I weigh myself a few times a week. I record only one. I know when I fluctuate, how and why most of the time. I don't look at any one day and say, "Well I weigh more today, what did I do yesterday that caused this?" I don't think weight works quite so fast in that sense. Yes, in water fluctuations, you can see that quickly, but it has nothing to do with actual weight in fat and proper trending. If I ignore the scale, I pay for it, but I refuse to obsess over it.

well, she had 4 !'s for something that just doesn't make any sense. Well meaning or not, it came across as condescending for something that is flat out wrong for most people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I use a caliper and a scale in tandem. I don't trust my scale's measurement of my body fat percentage though. It says I have 20% but I can see my abs.

OK what about other measurements. You act like everyone needs to be a certain percent to see abs. I have been able to see my quads at above 30% body fat when other can't see quads at a way smaller percent.

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Driagnor wrote: »
    I personally like to weigh myself every morning

I find that it helps to keep me accountable, and if it does go up, I examine yesterday's behaviour to see if there was anything I could have done differently

100% agree :smile:

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Driagnor wrote: »
    I personally like to weigh myself every morning

I find that it helps to keep me accountable, and if it does go up, I examine yesterday's behaviour to see if there was anything I could have done differently

100% agree :smile:

100% agree also. This is absolutely what I have to do to stay focused and not revert to bad habits that resulted in me being morbidly obese. I like being a "normal" weight, and if it takes weighing myself everyday to stay here, this is definitely what I will be doing.

• Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think this is poor logic and reasoning. The better approach is to say, don't rely so much on the scale. Data is data, and weight is one aspect of data. What if my weight increases, but my measurements decrease? That is typically a huge "ah ha" moment for people. Data is good. Never throw it out. Just don't rely so heavily on the least reliable data source, i.e., weight.

It isn't the least reliable data source.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Put me in the "NO" category. :smile:

Like others here, I weigh every morning, and then I enter it into my spreadsheet along with the calories I ate vs expended the day before, along with any pertinent notes that might have caused a slight fluctuation up or down. (birthdays, holidays, cheese lol)

Personally I find it fascinating to track my weight range and to see it slowly slide down, but I don't get upset when I see it go up a little - it's all part of the process. It also motivates me. This morning was a fist-pump YES kind of morning.

However, if it works for you, great!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I think this is poor logic and reasoning. The better approach is to say, don't rely so much on the scale. Data is data, and weight is one aspect of data. What if my weight increases, but my measurements decrease? That is typically a huge "ah ha" moment for people. Data is good. Never throw it out. Just don't rely so heavily on the least reliable data source, i.e., weight.

It isn't the least reliable data source.

It is less reliable than any other source people have readily available. I fluctuate 5 lbs on any given day, but my body fat and measurement stay very consistent. They do not fluctuate day to day.

I don't fluctuate 5 lbs on any given day. Speak for yourself. My measurements can fluctuate too and are prone to human error whereas the scale is not prone to human error. Body fat is also not an easily measured number in the first place, so not really a source for tracking day to day anyway.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Here is my suggestion. Stop weighing yourself! Seriously. When you look at the scale, you don't know if you lost fat, water or muscle.
    Use a tape measure instead. If you loose a inch, you know you lost fat.
    If you can't live without a scale, weigh your self a few minutes after you wake up. It's the most accurate.
    Your weight naturally goes up and down though out the day.
    There is no point to weigh your self every hour.
    Once every morning is all you need.
    Eat clean, sweat but don't skip the cake every now and then! ;)

Terrible advice. Do what works for you, but I guess most people are here because they weigh too much in the first place, so OP is suggesting we should ignore that?

I'll keep weighing myself daily and staying honest with myself, thank you.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love how these threads blow up with opinions when the OP has a track record of "2 posts"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like to use a combination of scale, measuring, how my clothes fit, and pictures. They all have their errors and downfalls, but together I think I have a pretty good picture of where I'm at. (And put me in the camp of daily weighing so that I can see how things like big or salty meals affect my weight, and once I understand the fluctuations I can ignore them.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Here is my suggestion. Stop weighing yourself! Seriously. When you look at the scale, you don't know if you lost fat, water or muscle.
    Use a tape measure instead. If you loose a inch, you know you lost fat.
    If you can't live without a scale, weigh your self a few minutes after you wake up. It's the most accurate.
    Your weight naturally goes up and down though out the day.
    There is no point to weigh your self every hour.
    Once every morning is all you need.
    Eat clean, sweat but don't skip the cake every now and then! ;)

I find it works best for me to weigh once a week in the morning and take my measurements once a month. I eat food I like. I pre-log it and try to stay at my calorie goal. I exercise a bit. I've lost about 1 lb a week doing that. I've lost inches too.
    I agree that weighing multiple times every day could be leading to an unhealthy relationship with the scale. If someone is weighing every hour they should probably get some distance from the scale. Some people can weigh daily and some people need to weigh once a month but I don't think the scale needs to be thrown out entirely.
    I agree that people can eat cake sometimes. You don't have to "eat clean" though to lose weight. As long as you are not exceeding your calorie goal you can lose weight eating whatever you want. If you eat smaller amounts of very high calorie foods then you can eat more.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Troll walks into a forum, sets off bomb .... retires to watch the arguing start

Mission accomplished going by some of the remarks

Obvious troll... is oh so obvious ...
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    I have always heard to not use the scale but I have always been so scale happy. I swear every morning I would hop on the scale. But this time around I am not allowing myself on a scale except once a month and on Feb 1st Ill see if that works for me. I don't have a scale in my house so its a little easier for me currently.
  • ravlomama123
    ravlomama123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay people. Let me explain.
    I'm not saying to go eat cake, watch tv all day and let yourself go.
    What I'm saying is that meny people weigh themselves and the number determines what kind of day they are going to have.
    If you are working out and eating clean, you shouldn't be gaining fat.
    My point is that meny people have a obsession with what the scale says and they weigh themselves throughout the day and they freak out that they went up .7 pounds.
    Don't worry people, You don't have to take my advice. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What I'm saying is that meny people weigh themselves and the number determines what kind of day they are going to have.
    My point is that meny people have a obsession with what the scale says and they weigh themselves throughout the day and they freak out that they went up .7 pounds.

Wrong again OP.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options

My scale has shown me that i am not gaining fat.

BTW, i eat DIRTY!!!
  • ravlomama123
    ravlomama123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Please explain