started 1200 calorie a week ago and gained 1lb HELP !!!!

Options
A week today I started my diet and abs and squat challenge and gained 1lb... anyone have any idea why? Im new to dieting as im wanting to lose my baby weight. Ive started eating healthier and cutting out a lot of fat and sugars. Switched to green tea and plenty of water as well :( xxx

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Water weight probably
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You are either eating more than you think you are, or a change in exercise has resulted in you retaining water. Give it a week or two and see what happens.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so any comments we could make are really baseless.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    water weight or weight from the muscles you are building from the squats.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Nothing to worry. Your body needs to get used to the changes. This is probably water and muscles. The weight loss will come. But you need more than a week to see it...
  • seaversg
    Options
    Also, as long as you're strength training continues you will gain weight, but really muscle mass. Especially if you don't have a lot of excess weight to loose. I've always started with cardio for a week or two (where you will see results) then moved into strength.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    do you weigh all your food?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Ohh no.... :o
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    do you weigh all your food?

This is what I was going to say too. I used to think that a scale wouldn't make a difference, but OMG IT DOES! I seriously love mine. I am on 1200 calories and I lost 5 lbs my first week and this is with an autoimmune thyroid disease. I was underestimating EVERYthing and eating way too little before! Invest in a food scale. Give it more time!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    djavamocha wrote: »
    if you are not eating enough calories for your body type and exercise you metabolism will slow down and go into starvation mode making you gain weight. I got this information from an nutritionist gabbi@revive9to5.com

Sorry this wrong :(
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Let's see, a 1200 calorie diet, cutting out fats and sugars, and freaking out about a 1-pound gain. OP, please read this and learn:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    djavamocha wrote: »
    if you are not eating enough calories for your body type and exercise you metabolism will slow down and go into starvation mode making you gain weight. I got this information from an nutritionist gabbi@revive9to5.com

Sorry this wrong :(

+1

Don't listen to nutritionists, they are all full of *kitten*
  • mccbunny
    mccbunny Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    as women our weight fluctuates depending on time of month too,, when I started it took a few weeks to see results.. i had quit smoking and gained 30 lbs,, I only do the 1500 a day calories and have slowly but surely taken off 16 lbs over 10 months.. I will get there one day! So will you! Keep in mind if you don't eat enough your body can go into preservation/starvation mode and you can actually gain weight. I think you need more then 1200 a day if you are working out.
  • helenagreenwood999
    Options
    I was guestimating the weight by the weight of the pack and my food portions. Ill buy some scales :) carry on as I am with diet and exercise for another couple of weels and see where I go from there. Thanks guys much appreciated. Just a little disheartened when I checked the scales today lol xxx
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    seaversg wrote: »
    Also, as long as you're strength training continues you will gain weight, but really muscle mass. Especially if you don't have a lot of excess weight to loose. I've always started with cardio for a week or two (where you will see results) then moved into strength.

No. You don't gain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit, and certainly not after a week of doing squats and abs. OP is likely retaining water from starting a new workout routine. Or a salty meal. Or a hundred other reasons. A 1lb weight gain can be attributed to normal fluctuations.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    water weight or weight from the muscles you are building from the squats.

Do you really think you gain muscle in a week?? That's not how it works.

OP it's been a week, it takes time. Open your diary and people can see how your logging is.

Take some time read the sexypants link that was given.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    sodium? measuring everything?
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Do measurements and use that. With lifting you may gain muscle and lose fat and scale wont tell you that but you may lose inches.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Agree it is likely water weight. I would also agree with making sure you are measuring your food. Until I used my food scale (which by the way I will never be without again) I had no idea what 4 oz of chicken looked like or 3oz of rice.