started 1200 calorie a week ago and gained 1lb HELP !!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself pre-poop, or post-poop?
  • tracieroot
    tracieroot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how much are you working out? where'd you get that number as a goal? Be sure you're eating enough for your activity, you might have been in starvation mode. And drink more water!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    One week isn't enough time to tell if you're making progress. Take the advice of the above posts (weigh your food, etc.) and give it time.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You wont last on here if you're freaking over less than 500 grams...
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Give it a month before even weighing yourself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Really, 3 replies telling the OP, who has been at it a week....has gained 1lb of muscle...in that week.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode and muscle gains all on page one! Never change MFP
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    • As others have said, make sure you're logging things accurately.
    • Don't forget lots of water, and green tea doesn't count as water.
    • Get lots of fiber in.
    • Log your activity (strength training, etc.)
    • Make sure you are eating appropriate amount based on exercise.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    wjstoj wrote: »
    Do you weigh yourself pre-poop, or post-poop?
    Other helpful weight check tips.
    • Make sure you exhale completely.
    • Shaving your head helps. Or anywhere, really.
    • Use an analog scale and set the red line on top to the leading edge of the black pound line, instead of the middle or end.
    • Try not to eat within 3 hours of bedtime.
    • Never underestimate the value of a good vomit.
    • Lean slightly off to the side.
    • Jog in place for 15 minutes to work up a good sweat, then dry off completely, to get rid of that excess water weight.
    Or, you could just realize that body weight can easily fluctuate by 3 pounds, and that not even all of this will add up to that much, so don't sweat it.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

This might be a BINGO thread
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i just wish i had more popcorn while reading the forums
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

This might be a BINGO thread

I was thinking the same, LOL
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    seaversg wrote: »
    Also, as long as you're strength training continues you will gain weight, but really muscle mass. Especially if you don't have a lot of excess weight to loose. I've always started with cardio for a week or two (where you will see results) then moved into strength.

No. You don't gain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit, and certainly not after a week of doing squats and abs. OP is likely retaining water from starting a new workout routine. Or a salty meal. Or a hundred other reasons. A 1lb weight gain can be attributed to normal fluctuations.

I was going to write the same thing. You don't build anything in a week. Retaining water for a reason or another is possible. But normal fluctuations will happen!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was guestimating the weight by the weight of the pack and my food portions. Ill buy some scales :) carry on as I am with diet and exercise for another couple of weels and see where I go from there. Thanks guys much appreciated. Just a little disheartened when I checked the scales today lol xxx

If you're a numbers person (like me), get a weight trend app. There's a bunch of them out there. I weigh daily but it would work if you weigh less often. What the app does is keep your weights on a chart and then graphs out a trend line.

Your weigh will fluctuate constantly so having a nice graph that shows a steady downward trend is reassuring when the scale spikes a bit for whatever reason. It will take you about a month to get a good baseline going though.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have measurements and pictures, but keep going and see what happens week 2.
  • daniellemgambino
    Options
    Same thing happened to me... completely bummed me out & my motivation plummeted. I'm due for another weigh-in but I'm worried it'll end up showing I gained another pound.

How long should people wait between weigh-ins?
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me... completely bummed me out & my motivation plummeted. I'm due for another weigh-in but I'm worried it'll end up showing I gained another pound.

How long should people wait between weigh-ins?

I weigh in each morning, but don't pay attention to daily fluctuations. If you set your weight goal in MFP and your loss per week goal, as long as your are following that with appropriate exercise to match your activity level setting you should lose weight. It may take a couple weeks for you to start seeing number results but you should within a few weeks start seeing the scale move in the right direction. Two big failures on MFP is putting your daily activity too high for what you really do and thus starting out with more calories available than you really have, and not weighing every single crumb that goes into your mouth. If you put it in your mouth you should know exactly how many calories it added. I am currently in maintenance so I have become a little more relaxed on my diary but it is still within a couple hundred of exactly what I consumed. I have fluctuated within a 5 pound area for the last 8 month never above or below that range from center.