New to Fitbit and really confused.

Options
I recently got a Fitbit Flex and I am really confused. Reading the manual hasn't helped. For instance, my BMR is a little over 2200. Last night it said I burned 857 calories & took 15 steps (that part is probably right because I got up in the middle of the night) by sleeping. Since my intake of calories is between 1000 & 1200 a day, I don't understand why I am not losing more weight. Isn't that how it works, you burn more than you take in? I'm so confused.

Replies

• SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump i'm interested cause i'm getting the surge when it comes out
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This info can be found in the fitbit users group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
    Hope this helps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Fitbit Flex and I am really confused. Reading the manual hasn't helped. For instance, my BMR is a little over 2200. Last night it said I burned 857 calories & took 15 steps (that part is probably right because I got up in the middle of the night) by sleeping. Since my intake of calories is between 1000 & 1200 a day, I don't understand why I am not losing more weight. Isn't that how it works, you burn more than you take in? I'm so confused.

It said you burned 857 calories for what time frame? Your BMR is 2200 based on what factors and calculators? Is your intake 1200 net or 1200 total calories?

Context and details matter when trying to give advice.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options

It said you burned 857 calories for what time frame? Your BMR is 2200 based on what factors and calculators? Is your intake 1200 net or 1200 total calories?

I went to bed at midnight and got up at 9am. During that time it said I burned 857 calories and walked 15 steps which I probably did when I woke up at 2 to us the bathroom.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by net or total calories? I eat 1000 to 1200 calories a day per doctor's recommendation.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    //www.fitbit.com/user/2VY2LS
    View account settings
    I have had mine since Sept 6/14 and LOVE it, add me if you like!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The number the Fitbit is giving at that time is how many calories your body burned between midnight and when you looked at the number (9am?). So in that 9 hour period your body burned the 857 calories, which sounds about right for a daily BMR of 2200.

Most likely you are taking in more calories than you think. Are you weighing and honestly logging everything you put in your mouth?
  • holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That number means approximately how many calories your body has burned at rest/maintaining body functions. 2200 is what you would burn if you did absolutely nothing but breathing, pumping blood, etc.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I went to bed at midnight and got up at 9am. During that time it said I burned 857 calories and walked 15 steps which I probably did when I woke up at 2 to us the bathroom.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by net or total calories? I eat 1000 to 1200 calories a day per doctor's recommendation.

Net calories is what MFP tracks ... food consumed (gross calories) - exercise = net calories.

If your BMR is truly 2200, then during your nine hours in bed is about 825-850 calories worht of BMR burn ... what you burn in a coma essentially. (2200 / 24 hours) * 9 hours in bed. You burn your BMR if you are on life support, lie in bed all day, etc. The standard factor applied to BMR to calculate resting metabolic rate (RMR) for a sedentary person is 1.2 ... so 2200 BMR * 1.2 = 2640 RMR ... the basis for determining your deficit.

From that point, I would ask your doctor how he arrived at 1000-1200 total calories for your intake. 500 calories deficit per day per weekly pound lost is the planning factor. Your current deficit is extremely aggressive at about three pounds per week. Unfortunately, many doctors just spout a total without looking at the math to arrive at that number. Getting the necessary nutrition at under 1200 can become problematic.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in fitbits or any other contraption. no one is burning 800+ calories just by sleeping
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    i dont believe in fitbits or any other contraption. no one is burning 800+ calories just by sleeping

So you don't believe in BMR?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

If my BMR is 1500 (coma style), then I burn about 1.05 calories a minute just existing on the planet. That is 62 calories per hour, or 558 calories in the 9 hours between midnight and 9am. I am 5'5 and weigh 130...

She weighs more than me. Her BMR is 2200... that means 1.53 calories per minute, or 92 calories per hour... So 828 calories in 9 hours. she took 15 steps, so it adds a little.

I think her fitbit is dead on right for resting calories.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options

OP... the fitbit is fine. Your eating is pretty low, and you could likely lose plenty of weight eating more. But if you are not losing weight eating that low, you are probably underestimating your calories in. Make sure you weigh everything (not using measuring cups etc), read the forums for lots of tips on this, dont forget condiments, cooking oils, and drinks, etc. And give it time - how long have you thought you were eating 1200?
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. It all makes a little more sense now. To those that asked, I am on an aggressive eating plan of 1000-1200 because I am very overweight and I am suffering negative health consequences. It is only short term (hopefully 1-3 months) until I can exercise more comfortably. I am measuring (I weigh my fruits, veggies and meat, use spoons/cups for salad dressing, cheese etc.) everything that goes in my mouth and don't feel deprived of anything so far. I made no dough pizza last night and it was delicious!
  • aylajane
    Options
    Dont use the spoons/cups for salad dressing or cheese... weigh them too!!!! You can pack a little or a lot of cheese into a 1/3 measuring cup, depending on how much you squish it. Check the serving size and weigh instead! (heads up, its a tiny amount...)

Glad you are doing well!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? Sometimes there are plateaus in weight loss. Well, usually. Sometimes if you add exercise you retain water so your fat loss doesn't show on the scale for a while. And if it's been two days, give it more time. :)
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    How do you weigh dressing? How much does a Tablespoon weigh?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Next to the Tablespoon measurement it will usually list grams too. Use the gram weight that is listed. It is extremely rare that both aren't listed - in my couple years I've been using a food scale I think I've seen it once where the grams (or ounces) weren't listed.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I personally don't weigh liquids and I don't think it's a necessity. You can't cram salad dressing in a tablespoon.

Weighing can help keep you honest and improve your estimates but if you're good with visuals and honest and especially if you spot check yourself with the scale from time to time, you can do fine with little food weighing.

• aylajane
    Options
    I personally don't weigh liquids and I don't think it's a necessity. You can't cram salad dressing in a tablespoon.

Weighing can help keep you honest and improve your estimates but if you're good with visuals and honest and especially if you spot check yourself with the scale from time to time, you can do fine with little food weighing.

No but actually not all tablespoons are created equal? Some have a line inside them to indicate where to stop, others go all the way to the edge. Most salad dressing is thicker than a true liquid. Maybe something like oil would be ok, but ranch or whatever can "bulge" in the middle. Since you weigh everything else, you might as well to this one too - bonus is that you dont have to dirty the measuring tools. Set your salad on the scale, zero it out and add dressing til you hit the right grams.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

on the bottle, after it says 2 Tbsp, it should say (##g) which is about 28-30 grams, based on my personal dressing preferences. weighing everything (especially rice/cereal/etc) has been a true eye opener into the world of portion sizes. :)