a gazillion dollars to the inventor of the rice cake and whoever made us think it was a "diet" food

Options
Why do people believe rice cakes are "diet" foods? they are terribly calorie laden for the actual food you get.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE rice cakes (am halfway through a package just now myself, may eat the rest of the package yet) but they aren't exactly healthy.

Maybe I just answered my own question in realizing if you are going to eat an entire package of something rice cakes is better than a jumbo bag of chips. But really, we should be getting past the "I MUST EAT THE ENTIRE BAG" mentality I would think.

I still think the people who tried to make rice cakes indoctrinated as a "diet" food are evil.

Replies

• jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Because they taste bad :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Aren't they like 35-40 calories?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wut? :huh:
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

the ones I am eating are 45 calories a piece, which is insane for their weight. I typically want to eat at least 8 of them once I start in on them.

And sacrilege to those who say they taste bad! Actually I dunno, they might taste bad to some. I eat the white cheddar kinds and they taste as yummy to me as any other popcorn or puffed rice does. Of course I am also the sort of person who finds cauliflower and string beans super yummy, they just happen to be a LOT more calorie friendly than my arch-enemy, the rice cake.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Relatively low cal, filling. Tastes like dried cat entrails. What is not to like?
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    They make horrible ice cream sandwiches.

Use pop-tarts.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    they have corn in them and i am allergic to corn, so i don't eat them. plus, they taste like cardboard.
  • jmauerhan
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

the ones I am eating are 45 calories a piece, which is insane for their weight. I typically want to eat at least 8 of them once I start in on them.

And sacrilege to those who say they taste bad! Actually I dunno, they might taste bad to some. I eat the white cheddar kinds and they taste as yummy to me as any other popcorn or puffed rice does. Of course I am also the sort of person who finds cauliflower and string beans super yummy, they just happen to be a LOT more calorie friendly than my arch-enemy, the rice cake.

Okay yeah the ones with the fake powder stuff on it do taste good, but that's the powder, not the rice cake ;)

Plain ones, you have to slather with peanut butter and honey and then whats the point?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have never regarded them as a diet food didnt realise they were touted as such.
  • jmauerhan
    Options
    I don't think they've really been a popular diet food since like, the 80s, anyway.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tastes like dried cat entrails. What is not to like?

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank a lot. Now I want a rice cake...
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    weren't they considered such during the fad diets of rice and grapefruit?
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    I think they're like eating Styrofoam. Tasting terrible only further sells the fact that it's "diet food" haha!

yes! they are like eating styrofoam! I think that's part of the allure. MMMMMM delicious foam. (Who doesn't like foam?!?)
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I don't think they've really been a popular diet food since like, the 80s, anyway.

F****. I guess that means I am that old. THANKS!!!!!
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! What type of rice cake are you referring to. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, South Eastern Countries or Indian?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    One time I tried to make a pb2+ sugar free jelly sandwich on something likened to a rice cake:

19k2jqznryy9.jpg

By time it was lunch time, it was soggy, inedible, and smelled like vomit. It was a low point in my life :(

It made me wish I had real rice cakes, I would've eaten anything BUT that at that point
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have never regarded them as a diet food didnt realise they were touted as such.

thank you! I didn't realize how old and outdated I was and that the kids these days aren't trying to stuff rice cakes like they do juicing.

Now (again) don't get me wrong, I love rice cakes to bits, I just don't think people should be lured into thinking they will help any weight-loss efforts.

You (and a lot of others) are apparently too young for this, but a long time ago we were led to believe eating rice cakes would lead to weight loss.

You hear that kiddos!?! Does that sound stupid?!? If that sounds silly question any other blanket statements you are given.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium for me!