Paleo Diet??

Options
A colleague at work eats a Paleo diet which she says keeps her at a healthy weight and feeling good. I searched it on the internet and it seems to be very high in protein (meat) which would make it extremely hard to stay on or under 1200 calories and it would be a lot of fat also. Anyone knows of this diet?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard of it. And you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses, so be prepared. It's a touchy subject on this site.

My advice would be to read up on it and decide if it's something you can stick with. If not, then I'd suggest you try something else. A diet that you can live with long term is more likely to yield long term results. The Paleo Diet excludes a lot of foods for questionable reasons. If you are not going to be happy giving these things up, then it's probably not for you. From the posts I've seen, most people tend to stray from the actual diet pretty quickly.

Best of luck to you, whatever diet you choose.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been paleoish for 4 years.

Paleo is 'what' you eat, not necessarily how much.

Most paleo types will trade some carb calories for fat calories. Some will claim paleo is low carb-- it's not necessarily, although it can be done that way. It is almost always moderate carb; I get about 200g of carbs per day but I'm a big, active guy. Less than 150 and my performance at the gym suffers and more than 250 or so and I get grumpy and tired.

A lot of paleos eat more protein than they need.

I personally find it really hard to eat at maintenance level (3600 calories per day) or above and get 50% or more of my calories from fat. Heck, a lot of days I have a hard time getting 2800 calories...

• Weasel99999
    Weasel99999 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ut Oh!! Thanks for the heads up. I have not considered doing this diet, I was just curious. Thanks a lot. However, I do need to choose a healthy way of eating and FAST....
  • ravlomama123
    ravlomama123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband had lost a couple of pounds doing a paleo diet. He recommended it to me but I'm not a meat person... Or veggie. I'm pretty sure I would starve. Lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Ut Oh!! Thanks for the heads up. I have not considered doing this diet, I was just curious. Thanks a lot. However, I do need to choose a healthy way of eating and FAST....

I understand. Do you prefer a structured or restrictive type diet? Paleo is very restrictive (no grains, no beans, no peanut butter, no added sugars, limited fruits, no flour, no a lot of stuff). If that's what you like, then it might be for you.

If you like structure with less restriction, then perhaps something like South Beach would be good.

If you like general guidelines with less restriction and structure, maybe something like the Mediterannean diet would fit.

Or you can simply eat less junk and more whole foods without an prescribed plan.

There is no one best way. Find a way to eat that keeps you happy and provides adequate nutrition. If your goal is weight loss, eat at a calorie deficit, but not a huge one. Don't make yourself miserable.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    well let's figure it out this way...it's just a diet fad like the rest. but the best point is, how long did cavemen live for? not to long, their average life span was short compared to todays world.

I just recommend eating healthy, carbs are not the enemy, you just need to balance your eating X amount of calories to how many you burn off. If you take in more calories then you are burning your body will store it.

So try and burn off more than you eat, and try eating "better" and "cleaner" but you can still eat the foods you enjoy, just in moderation.

Live your life and enjoy it, just balance the intake verse output.

KCCO
  • Weasel99999
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely need healthy way of eating that is not restrictive. I am searching for a low carb (which is my downfall) way of eating that would work for me.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If you just eat less than what you burn, you will lose weight. Even if you did "paleo" you can still gain or not lose if you eat more calories than what you burn. You do not have to eliminate anything or be on any fad diet to lose weight. Try to eat a balanced diet with less calories than what you burn a day....it's not rocket science.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I've been paleoish for 4 years.

Paleo is 'what' you eat, not necessarily how much.

Most paleo types will trade some carb calories for fat calories. Some will claim paleo is low carb-- it's not necessarily, although it can be done that way. It is almost always moderate carb; I get about 200g of carbs per day but I'm a big, active guy. Less than 150 and my performance at the gym suffers and more than 250 or so and I get grumpy and tired.

A lot of paleos eat more protein than they need.

I personally find it really hard to eat at maintenance level (3600 calories per day) or above and get 50% or more of my calories from fat. Heck, a lot of days I have a hard time getting 2800 calories...

Paleoish??

You either are or you aren't following Paleo.

OP paleo is a diet (not a weightloss plan but a what you eat kind of diet)
    If you consume 1200 calories (which is probably too low for you) you will lose weight.
    Just like any diet though if you eat too many calories you will gain weight.

It is a restrictive diet to follow - as they cut out a lot of foods.

The only diet that works is Calories in < Calories Out
    How you get there is up to you. Find a "diet" that you will stick with. Be it Paloe, Keto, Moderation, vegan/vegetarian. Doesn't matter you just need CICO
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    well let's figure it out this way...it's just a diet fad like the rest. but the best point is, how long did cavemen live for? not to long, their average life span was short compared to todays world.

I just recommend eating healthy, carbs are not the enemy, you just need to balance your eating X amount of calories to how many you burn off. If you take in more calories then you are burning your body will store it.

So try and burn off more than you eat, and try eating "better" and "cleaner" but you can still eat the foods you enjoy, just in moderation.

Live your life and enjoy it, just balance the intake verse output.

KCCO

The Paleo diet isn't based on what cavemen ate at all.
    Op didn't say anything about carbs being the enemy.

• Weasel99999
    Options
    WOW!! This is my first time here and I did not expect to get so much good advise. Thanks to all.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely need healthy way of eating that is not restrictive. I am searching for a low carb (which is my downfall) way of eating that would work for me.

If you like carbs, why would you want to be on a low carb diet?
  • Cmkgee
    Cmkgee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Whole30 which seems to work for me. This is the third time I have done it and each time, I lose weight. However, the process is less about losing weight for me, and more about learning about my relationship to food and why and when I eat for reasons other than hunger. It is very restrictive, but that works for me, and it is only for 30 days. Basically the rules are no alcohol, no sugar, no legumes, no soy, no dairy, and no grains for 30 days. The Whole30 website provides a lot of resources and it is free, which I like. However, I did purchase the Hartwig's book, It Starts with Food, as well as the cookbooks Well Fed, and Well Fed 2. The diet mainly consists of a lot of protein, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and healthy fats from avocados, and things like olive and coconut oils. I also continue to eat fruit, even though they frown on that. However, I have to! The emphasis is on taste and using a lot of spices to add flavor to the food. I have learned a lot about food and as a result have eaten things like jicama and plantains, food that I never would have eaten before, let alone known what they were. After the 30 days are over you can start to add things back in, but I try to eat this way even after the 30 days are over, although honestly, it is challenging for me to stay away completely from alcohol and sugar, especially during Holidays.
  • busseybl
    busseybl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Paleo is awesome. It's based on what is good for your body and what your body is capable of processing. Lean meats, vegetables, and good healthy fats (i.e. avocados, eggs, etc).
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    A more flexible approach to paleo is primal blueprint, no need to purchase anything, sufficient info at marksdailyapple.com or for primal 101 http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz3Odauolx9
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    busseybl wrote: »
    Paleo is awesome. It's based on what is good for your body and what your body is capable of processing. Lean meats, vegetables, and good healthy fats (i.e. avocados, eggs, etc).

Not really. It is based on a fad.
  • busseybl
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    busseybl wrote: »

Not really. It is based on a fad.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. Most paleo-promoting dietitians allow for flexibility. If you want a small bit of cheese and your body reacts well to that... Then eat it! Just be careful about the toxins and processed/fake foods you're putting in your body. Keep it natural, keep it clean!
  • busseybl
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not paleo. I just know a lot of people who really benefit from it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Check out South Beach. It might be a good fit for you. It's pretty low carb at first, but then adds more back, but you focus on more slow digesting carbs which can limit cravings and keep you full longer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you need a healthy way of dieting and don't want the restrictions, I would suggest reading up on IIFYM (If it Fits Your Macros).