What is the Best way generate pie chart for tracking waist to hip ration and body fat percentage?

Options
What is the Best way generate pie chart for tracking waist to hip ratio and body fat percentage?
notice that no fitness app currently does this and I am motivated by visuals so being able generate a graph weekly would show more obvious results than pictures. But it will also help me on my progress since my goal is actually not weight based.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Microsoft Excel
  • Hyspin
    Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Numbers!? Don't own excel, is their way to enter data so that each new set is new graph, in the way tracking apps do? I don't work in excel at all but I do have Numbers an equivalent software. Also can the function via cloud just in case I am not home and only have iphone available?
  • Branstin
    Options
    MFP doesn't have that function. You will need a spreadsheet app like OpenOffice.org. It's like MS Office but is free.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    As I said before I have excellent equivalent software called "Numbers"
    https://www.apple.com/ca/mac/numbers I am on mac and Numbers comes free with my desktop. So what is the best way to generate regular graphs on spreadsheet software on daily or weekly basis, I will be using it track progress, is there a way to enter data on my iphone via cloud to update on my computer at home?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything abut numbers, but in excel you just set the range for the values it should pull. So I assume you should be able to do the same in any spreadsheet program.

I'm not sure why you want pie charts for that though...if you want to see changes over time a line chart might better show progress.

If you only want to look at the current week in pie chart form, just type over the old numbers and the chart will update.

Just ask somebody who used your Numbers program and they can explain it in detail. Whatever you use, you can update remotely if you store the file on the cloud. If is is only stored on your home computer, then no.
  • Branstin
    Options
    I can't pull that up but the app should have a "Help" section.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't know anything abut numbers, but in excel you just set the range for the values it should pull. So I assume you should be able to do the same in any spreadsheet program.

I'm not sure why you want pie charts for that though...if you want to see changes over time a line chart might better show progress.

If you only want to look at the current week in pie chart form, just type over the old numbers and the chart will update.

Just ask somebody who used your Numbers program and they can explain it in detail. Whatever you use, you can update remotely if you store the file on the cloud. If is is only stored on your home computer, then no.

Thank you

I need the pie chart because I need the value to show how each separate item compares to each other as a whole. For example my waist to hip need to stay within waist being 2/3 circumference of my hips no mater the number which is easier to notice at glance with pie chart. Since progress chart will only a line the fluctuation of each part rather how they relate as a whole. I need the pie chart to show the slightest shift on went the waist starts going out side a two thirds. I want to do the same on the body fat percentage, yes over time a line chart might show my weight going down but it might not be body fat only pie chart would should what percent of the weight is water/muscle or fat vs base weight (I guessing bones).

I want to save a graph for each week to see. How gage my progress like speedometer, if start I seeing shift from 66.6% I know I got the right routine or if I need to slow it down or remove workout.

I am try maintain a certain look and balance my body proportions. Some people don't do that I have guys put lots of work on their upper bodies and ignore their legs so the legs look mismatched. You can gain muscle or lose weight or do what ever, but it helps to keep balance overall.
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    Pose this question in the Apple forum for quicker reply:
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/iwork/numbers
    Pie chart might not be possible and might change what you're looking for.

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You could track the hip/waist ratio on MFP as a custom measurement, but you can't do a comparative chart.
    Otherwise I would suggest using Excel or some other spreadsheet program, still with a graph, with one line for fat percentage and another for hip/waist ratio. A third line for weight would be good to include as well.

A pie chart would not accomplish what you want it to as the measurements aren't directly related. Your hip/waist ratio is not a portion of your fat percentage. You could do two pie charts, one for hip/waist and one for fat/non-fat weight, but that would not accomplish your goal of tracking them side by side. You need a graph.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    You could track the hip/waist ratio on MFP as a custom measurement, but you can't do a comparative chart.
    Otherwise I would suggest using Excel or some other spreadsheet program, still with a graph, with one line for fat percentage and another for hip/waist ratio. A third line for weight would be good to include as well.

A pie chart would not accomplish what you want it to as the measurements aren't directly related. Your hip/waist ratio is not a portion of your fat percentage. You could do two pie charts, one for hip/waist and one for fat/non-fat weight, but that would not accomplish your goal of tracking them side by side. You need a graph.

Yes I want a chart for each.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    takumar wrote: »
    Pose this question in the Apple forum for quicker reply:
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/iwork/numbers
    Pie chart might not be possible and might change what you're looking for.

Okay I will give them a talk since it looks like spread sheets are my only solution.
  • Hyspin
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One pie chart for hip to waist ratio and one chart for body fat percentage.