Trouble losing

Options
rn214
rn214 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have Been at this weight loss for a very long time at this point. I don't seem to ever lose enough weight. I try to eat healthy I Cardio kickboxing 4 to 5 times a week but I still don't see anything on the scale. My clothes don't fit better, I feel better but that's the extent of it. Anyone else have such a hard time losing weight?I seem to do good with the first 10 pounds and then nothing after that.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy an exercise is great for your health but to lose you need the correct deficit. Make sure you weigh all your solids and measure your caloric liquids for everything you ingest and log everything.
    It's only when I do this do I lose consistently.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are not losing then you are not in a calorie deficit…

do you have a food scale? If yes, do you weigh/log/measure all your food?

Do you log everything that you eat into MFP?

is your goal just weight loss? How many calories per day are you consuming right now…

how long have you been trying to lose…?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy doesn't equate eating in a calorie deficit. Can you open your diary up?
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of questions I'd love to ask to help you pinpoint what's going on. Feel free to friend me and perhaps we can figure out what's going on!
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of questions I'd love to ask to help you pinpoint what's going on. Feel free to friend me and perhaps we can figure out what's going on!

So you can try to sell something, right? Sneaky sneaky. Why not ask here so we can a benefit from your vast knowledge?
  • rn214
    Options
    I know I was vague just frustrated. I was always on the thin side then probably gained here and there in my 20's. By my late 20's I was 150 and I am 5'5". Not terrible as that took about 10 years of dating my now husband to gain about 40lbs. Had children and then just gradual weight gain in my 30's and now I just turned 40 and I wish I could be 150 again! I have been to Drs , nutritionists, weight watchers , pills, shakes, and I never seem to lose more than 15 lbs or so and then as soon as I go back to eating normal, I gain it. I am not a cookie dessert person but I do like sugar. I haven't been that diligent with this last round of marking everything down because it just gets so discouraging. Everyone around me loses weight except me.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    rn214 wrote: »
    and then as soon as I go back to eating normal, I gain it.

There's your problem - you have to find a way to eat that you can maintain for the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off. If you go back to eating the way you were eating while you were gaining the weight, it will all come back eventually.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I know I was vague just frustrated. I was always on the thin side then probably gained here and there in my 20's. By my late 20's I was 150 and I am 5'5". Not terrible as that took about 10 years of dating my now husband to gain about 40lbs. Had children and then just gradual weight gain in my 30's and now I just turned 40 and I wish I could be 150 again! I have been to Drs , nutritionists, weight watchers , pills, shakes, and I never seem to lose more than 15 lbs or so and then as soon as I go back to eating normal, I gain it. I am not a cookie dessert person but I do like sugar. I haven't been that diligent with this last round of marking everything down because it just gets so discouraging. Everyone around me loses weight except me.

Bolded point 1: If you go back to eating how you did previously (your "normal), of course you'll put the weight back on. In other words, eating what (quantity) of you did when you were heavy will make you heavy. Period.

Bolded point 2: Going to have to be diligent. Your body logs the calories whether or not you do, so might as well tighten up the food diary to see where the problem(s) lie.

Bolded point 3: Losing weight isn't complicated, but it IS hard work. If you're not putting in the work, you cannot expect the results others are working toward.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    and then as soon as I go back to eating normal, I gain it.

There's your problem - you have to find a way to eat that you can maintain for the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off. If you go back to eating the way you were eating while you were gaining the weight, it will all come back eventually.

Yup - quit "temporary dieting" and instead change the way you eat
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Forget the shakes, pills and magic potions. Figure out how much you need to eat to lose .5-1 lb a week and give that a shot for 2 weeks. No magic foods or cleanses, just eat what you normally eat but within your caloric limit. Weigh and measure what you eat accurately, no eyeballing or guessing. If you exercise, eat some of those calories back. After 2 weeks evaluate, adjust and repeat.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great advice! I am new to mfp. I do measure and track my food. I was on ww and when I'd eat poorly, i wldnt track my food. Since being on mfp I had a cheat day and logged my food. I figure if I dont track my food, it only hurts me no one else. My sister-in-law gave me a scale. This has been the best thing I have ever used. When I eyeballed food, I always had me eating less. Now that I measure, i find I was eating way more than I thought. I am lucky I have mfp on my iphone and I can log on even if its only to read posts. It helps. Also I decided to weigh myself once a week rather than every day. Good luck to everyone and thx for ur input!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You need to learn a new normal for eating. Be that moderation or restriction.

If restriction does not work for you, then learn moderation.

The goal is to eat less than you burn. You can work your butt off in the gym but not eating at a deficit won't get you anywhere.

• rn214
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. I do have a lifestyle eating habit not a diet. I am always mindful of how many calories is in something. I know something has to change even though I do not eat badly by any stretch but obviously it's not good enough. I have protein shakes for my breakfast sometimes with egg whites. Lunch if I have is a wrap of grilled veggies or chicken and I usually only eat half. And dinner is chicken about 4x a week, baked, grilled, breaded usually with zucchini. The nutritionist told me I eat too many of the same foods. It's hard to change it up the I have to make multiple meals, especially for the kids. I do have a fattening thing here and there but not that much... Thanks again for all your input.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You said everyone loses weight but you. Not true. Look at a few stats. 69% of Americans are overweight and close to half of that number are obese.