how do you feel about personal trainers?

Options
I have found a great personal trainer but im wondering will it be worth the butt load of cash? I've heard varying opinions on the subject.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not for me. The one I spent a free hour with was a college student who didn't know much. Others I've met also don't seem to know much, including a family member. That said, I'm sure there are terrific ones. I'm more of a DIYer.

If you don't need it for the motivation factor, you can get the info you need for an effective program free from books and web sites. But if you don't want to hunt it out, evaluate it and apply it, a PT might be good. But you kind of have to evaluate them, too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mine is worth his weight in gold. Best thing I ever did in the gym. On my own I would have no idea what I'm doing. Plus he pushes me to work harder than I ever would on my own. Being forced to go in once a week is also very helpful, otherwise I might not go. I love my trainer.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would go to the ends of the earth for mine! She is worth every penny I have paid for her to train me. She will call me out when I am phoning in a workout and push me to do things I never thought possible. I needed accountability. I cannot be left to my own devises because I would get frustrated and just walk out of the gym. She has kept me focused and now I am 90lbs down and 40 inches and two weeks away from running my first full marathon.

They can be really expensive but I look at it as an investment in me. :D

I will admit there are really good ones and really not so good ones. I think you just have to look around.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Worth his weight in gold, actually worth my starting weight in gold which is probably considerably more

I still see him weekly after 7 months ...he pushes me and makes me laugh through the pain
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It completely depends on you.

If you can push yourself, learn enough to pick a good program and stick with it, and occasionally post form videos (if needed) to get feedback? Then probably not.

Otherwise, sure - it might be a good investment for you.

eta: Out of curiosity, how did you determine that this trainer is a "great personal trainer?"
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Worth his weight in gold, actually worth my starting weight in gold which is probably considerably more

I still see him weekly after 7 months ...he pushes me and makes me laugh through the pain

May I use this? HAAA This is awesome! I love this way to describe my trainer! :D
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you need motivation more than actual instruction, maybe try a group fitness class at the gym. Most gyms offer it for free or a small additional charge, I was debating getting a personal trainer myself. I know what to do but just wanted to kick it up to the next level. I decided instead to do a outdoor bootcamp. Now instead of one personal trainer, I have 4! It's not one-on-one instruction but I don't need that, just need someone to push me and keep me accountable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    PT's are great if you're starting out and/or need someone to help you reach maximum effort if you're not used to doing it on a regular basis.
    As a PT myself, I will work out with a peer every once in awhile when I need a kick. Is it for everyone? Nah. But I will say that a very good experienced PT might be able to teach you some new movements you've never tried, or will address your weaknesses that you aren't aware of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CanadianMag
    CanadianMag Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would recomend it. I find when I have one I have to show up. They push me to my limits, then if were to do it myself I know I wouldn't. I now love working out I am debating if I can do it on my own. I just purcahsed another 30 sessions with my PT and once that is completed I will re-evaluate.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love PT's (the good ones though). The good ones will motivate you and will teach you. If you don't need teaching, then they can push you further. If you are hurt or sore, they should be able to modify exercises for the session to give you a great session all the time. I'm one to get lazy and not push myself as hard as I can, so I love the extra yelling at me, etc. It is motivating. Also, I get scared that I'll hurt myself without the spot with heavy weights. I can do all the activities, but I'm just scared to hurt myself on my own and in turn get lazy. I have PT one to two hour sessions per week. The other days are lighter weights and cardio.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've had good ones and not so good ones. You have to know what you want. I tend to work harder with a trainer. To me, it's worth every penny. Unfortunately my problem these days is lack of time.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Depends if you can find a good one and whether or not it's a style of exercise you like. I prefer working out alone - I don't even like going with friends - so someone hounding me like a PT is annoying. But some people like or need that hounding to push themselves.

Whatever you do, make sure they're decent. There are two personal trainers at my gym and from listening to both of them coach while I'm there I would say one is amazing, the other is pretty sub-par. Being around a PT while they're working with another client is a good way to see what they're like before you pay for a session, but obviously don't creep on someone else too much or bother people! Haha.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have found a great personal trainer but im wondering will it be worth the butt load of cash? I've heard varying opinions on the subject.

I've had three, loved them all, and learned a lot. One taught me about logging calories and taking responsibility for what I eat.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you find a good one, it's SO worth it. I can't believe how much money I've spent on personal training in the last year, but I have no regrets whatsoever.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    • Understand that some PT certifications (like A.C.E.) do not require any practical tests. Just written exams. And it doesn't even require a 90% to pass. That means you could be working with a trainer who is wrong 25% of the time.
    • Just like any other job, some people excel, some are good, some are average, some are sub par.
    • It's your money. They are working for you.
    • Don't be afraid to spend time with one before signing up for a long series of classes.
    • Ask them questions about their qualifications and your goals.
    • You wouldn't commit to a mechanic working on your car for a year without trying them out. Don't commit yourself to a body mechanic before making sure they can do the job you want.
  • LeeAnnJ1977
    LeeAnnJ1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky enough to have two great ones that have pushed me to do things I didn't think possible. When I first started losing weight, I was only doing cardio and that got me off to a great start but I hated strength training. I've been working with trainers for the last nine months and so happy I have made the investment in myself. Now I enjoy strength training more but know that I definitely need someone pushing me to put in that extra effort. Seeing what your body is capable of is definitely a confidence booster.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I hate them, but then I hate gym time ( Its a necessary evil, like dental work) but on the other hand I love martial arts and kickboxing and pay them to order me around, and yell at me with a smile on my face...so to each their own
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine is great and worth every single penny I pay him. I've been working with him for 2.5 years and my physical condition well its like a different body.

Granted I haven't lost tonnes and tonnes of weight but that is my fault, as they say you can't out exercise a bad diet. But physically I'm so much stronger than I ever would be before and I even exercise on my own occasionally now too
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer was great. He taught me a lot about how to exercise and some of it was actually fun. He was a U.S.A. weightlifting coach so I learned the oly lifts from him.
  • onefootfoward
    onefootfoward Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great feedback im just weary of dropping like two grand on my sessions though they have quiet impressed me with their education and overall knowldege.