healthiest pizza?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Any pizza you like, as long as it's thin crust.
    1. It tastes better
    2. It's lower in calories

My personal favorite is plain old margarita, no other toppings. There is also a local novelty pizza which I don't exactly consider to be pizza but I love it: stone baked pizza dough topped with tart greek yogurt, olive oil and mint.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with any pizza as long as you don't put pineapple on it. Bleh!

I like thin crust cheese pizza, occasionally with mushrooms or brocolli if they look fresh.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mountain Mike's Robber Roost was a pleasant surprise--under 250 kcal and 250 mg of sodium per slice. I could even enjoy 3 slices! Avoid deep dish and processed meats.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you have a Donatos, they make a no crust pizza that is awesome!!!!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Any pizza as long as its vegetarian. ;) cuz I want some too!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If you have a pizza express nearby they do a 600 cal pizza. For home options try wholmeal pitta/muffins or spelt bread topped with roasted veg and feta and cook as normal for a healthy(er) option

Pita/muffins are not pizza ...

Just bc you put sauce and cheese on something does not make it pizza..

No but it may suite her and her macros better than real pizza would. That's all that matters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you have a pizza express nearby they do a 600 cal pizza. For home options try wholmeal pitta/muffins or spelt bread topped with roasted veg and feta and cook as normal for a healthy(er) option

No but it may suite her and her macros better than real pizza would. That's all that matters.

I believe the OP was inquiring about actual pizza options, not alternatives...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    booboo68 wrote: »
    If you have a Donatos, they make a no crust pizza that is awesome!!!!

I'm kind of scared to ask what a no crust pizza is...

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think both those places have calorie counts on their websites. When ordering Pizza Hut I usually get a thin crust ham and pineapple with light cheese. Pretty low in the calories and I like it. Papa John's I can't do anything but Papa's Favorite, calories be damned. So dang good.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain place you're going to, chances are they have nutrition info available online. Take a look through it and just see what fits your budgets.

If it's not a chain place, ways to save cals are: smaller size, thinner crust, less cheese, less greasy meats, more veggies
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Of those two, I imagine it's going to come down to which crust and toppings you choose. Want less calories? Go for less meat and crust and don't get extra cheese. More micronutrients? Top it with vegetables.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A pizza can be healthy if it fits in your calorie limit. I tend to order my pizza without cheese, which makes it a lot less fat, but of course you can always just eat a smaller portion. (I generally don't eat cheese, but I suppose leaving out the cheese is also a good option if you want your pizza to have less calories - depends on your taste as well, of course, for some people, pizza is all about the cheese, and then I would just eat less of it).
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me, reducing the items that have the highest calorie count and increasing the volume of low calorie items, I'll order a thin crust, tell them I would like "MINIMUM" sauce and 1/2 the normal amount of cheese (see if they can give you an estimate of how much 1 cup, 2 cup etc of both the sauce and cheese for logging). Then I kill it with toppings, tell the server specifically... double chicken, double green peppers, double onions, then jalapenos, tomato slices, no added salt.

Restaurant pizza sauce is generally heavily laden with salt and sugar. Sugar is added to the tomato paste to take out the tartness and salt is added to take out the sweetness, its a weird taste bud thing but it works.

When I was much younger, I worked at two different pizzeria's and both had pizza sauce that the main 3 ingredients to start a sauce mix was 2 gallon cans of Tomato paste, a bag of sugar, and an entire container of Morton Salt, (then custom spices and added veggies), so yes, I cut back on the sauce and cheese...

I'll add black pepper, crushed red pepper, and parmesan cheese at the table as needed....

Make sure you have planned accordingly for it and have the needed calories to stay within your calorie goal for the day.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I LOVE pizza! Favorite (current) is white sauce, chicken, feta and banana peppers! Get whatever you like and make room for it. EVERYTHING in moderation.

I order this except with Pesto
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Thin crust, multigrain... add some veggies and keep it to the more unprocessed meats like chicken or shrimp or maybe ground beef but avoid the sausage, pep, extra cheese.
  • ThinByThanksgiving
    ThinByThanksgiving Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You could make your own pizza. Def not as good as PH, but it gets the job done. You can grill a pita on each side, top with toppings and finish melting the cheese. Also, a toasted English muffin or broiled tortilla work as decent substitutes.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think that making pizza "healthy" is a waste of effort and good pizza. Make some room for calories and enjoy real pizza. There's nothing inherently "unhealthy" about pizza, just keep it within your goals.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options

This.
    I'm beginning to hate Pinterest since they suggest "quinoa/zuccini cheesy meatballs" yeah, no meat. Or they say mexican food just because they chopped a pepper or italian because they threw in a tomato.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I think that making pizza "healthy" is a waste of effort and good pizza. Make some room for calories and enjoy real pizza. There's nothing inherently "unhealthy" about pizza, just keep it within your goals.

yeah at that point, it's not really tasting like a real pizza anymore.
  • charmedsooner
    charmedsooner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pizza Hut has a new line of Skinny Pizzas that have 250-300 calories per slice.