Panic! (smoking topic)

Options
2»

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm not gonna have a "last cigarette"...it will remain in the pack.

I did quit several years ago, I had bronchitis, and I couldn't even take a breath, the pain was so horrible, there was no way I could have smoked. After 3 days when I felt better, I almost had a cigarette, then thought to myself "I haven't smoked in 3 days, why start now?" I remember it was tough, but I got through...
    I had quit for 2 yrs, then went through a bad time and was hangin out with my smokin friends.."just gimme a drag"...well that was all it took....

I hate the way I smell, I hate the way my house and car smell, most of my friends are non-smokers, and honestly I'm embarassed that I smoke...It's in my head...the need for the cigarette, the panic, I can talk myself out of it, and I'm going to! I'm gonna come up with an idea, maybe a mantra or something to soothe my way through it.

Again, you are all so awesome, thank you!!!

Two years ago at the Sturgis Rally I took a couple puffs off of a flavored cigar (in order to win a t-shirt). The next day I really felt the urge for a smoke. AFTER 30 + YEARS!!!! The addiction never goes completely away. PS I gave away the da** shirt. LoL
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    Try to focus on why you want to quit more than just quitting. For example, I quit this past December after 16 years smoking and I keep thinking of the reasons why EVERY TIME I want one, which is every day, like my uncle has lung cancer and I visit or talk to him once a week so I think about him being a smoker for 30 days and only 52 years old and what he is going through because of it. I think of living a long, healthy life for my kids and someday, grand-children and how my uncle won't be able to have more time with his family (he's in stage 3 now).
    The first month was the hardest for me, I gained about a pound a week but once I got on a weight loss program and starting exercising regularly, I feel great and I love it.
    Just focus on WHY you want to quit and stick to it. Whenever you are stressed out, exercise for those 10 minutes instead of smoke and you will feel much better. If you start to put food in your mouth to cover the fixtation then choose healthy snacks (fruit helped me) instead.
    Good luck!
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm giving up next week with help from the doctor that way im accountable to someone each week
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm giving up next week with help from the doctor that way im accountable to someone each week
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I quite about 4 weeks ago. I have accepted that I will more than likely smoke at least one more in my lifetime. I have really started chewing a ton of gum and since I was an after meal smoker, I drink a ton of green tea and decaf coffee! I have also told myself no smoking in the car or when my kids are home so that is 75% of my day. makes it easier. When and if I have another, oh well. If you put the stress on that last cig, it will not live up to the hype. Don't think about your last one. Just let it happen!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You've got to find that motivation. Find what drives you forward. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant in April of 2008. I had a focus (my child) so It felt a lot easier than I thought it would. I ended up having twins, btw. After their birth, I struggled with depression due to their diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis. I fell back into smoking alongside my husband. I wouldn't smoke often, or regularly, but when I drank, or out at social events etc. I wokeup one day and knocked myself upside the head. My kids have a fatal lung disease, and I smoke? NO WAY was that going to happen. I quit cold turkey (didn't even smoke while drinking or at social events) and I've completely gone without. I don't have the desire anymore AT ALL. Infact, I HATE the smell. My motivation is my children, most definitely. I would NEVER put them in harms way & smoking? That's putting them in harms way. Find something that is more important to you or in your life than smoking is. Realize what smoking does to affect that person or that thing. Is it your children? Maybe they don't have a lung disease like my own, however, your life will be shortened by smoking, your children need you here, etc. Find something that really matters to you, realize what smoking takes away from that, and let that fuel you.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...you have all been so great and I so appreciate it! Thank you thank you thank you....all the support means the world to me...I haven't really told anyone in my personal life that I am trying to quit, cause I haven't bought a pack of smokes since last weekend. I have 5 left in my pack...I KNOW I don't need to smoke, hell if I can go 6-8 hours without one, I can go more, right? Every time I think about having that last and final cigarette, I feel myself starting to panic. I'm feeling it right now as I type this....Any suggestions? I will not buy another pack, I refuse to....how do I fight this panic feeling?

You panic because you've subconsciously conditioned yourself to believe it is somehow important to keep a supply of cigarettes on hand. And if it's important, then letting yourself run out is dangerous, even irresponsible. Irresponsible? IRRESPONSIBLE???

At least that was the understanding that I was able to come to - the insight that gave me the strength to quit a pack a day habit of nearly 40 years standing. Just dragging that completely absurd notion out into an area of my mind that can actually THINK went a long way toward neutralizing it, but just to be on the safe side, I went out the next morning and bought a box of nicotine patches. Then every time I thought about buying cigarettes, I tell myself "No, you don't need to do that . If the cravings get really bad you can always use one of your patches." I never did actually use any of the patches, and wasn't even seriously tempted after the first few days. But even now - it's been nearly 2 and a half years - I still feel more secure knowing they're readily available if and when I need them.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...you have all been so great and I so appreciate it! Thank you thank you thank you....all the support means the world to me...I haven't really told anyone in my personal life that I am trying to quit, cause I feel like anytime I do, I sabotage myself.
    I'm down to like 3 smokes a day, from a pack and a half....

here's my problem..

I haven't bought a pack of smokes since last weekend. I have 5 left in my pack...I KNOW I don't need to smoke, hell if I can go 6-8 hours without one, I can go more, right? Every time I think about having that last and final cigarette, I feel myself starting to panic. I'm feeling it right now as I type this....Any suggestions? I will not buy another pack, I refuse to....how do I fight this panic feeling?

I quit pretty cold turkey. Just said enough was enough.

However, what did the trick was that I was drinking, thought Id have 'just one' for the first time since I had stopped several months earlier. Well, 1 turned into 2, which turned into 3, which turns into an entire pack of menthol cigarettes in like...two hours. Oh yes, menthol. I didnt get sick from the alcohol, I made myself sick from the menthol cigarettes. I have not touched one sense and cant even think of it without gagging.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix. I had odd dreams and such but nothing dramatic. I have been quit for 10 months. I hate the smell of it now... Everytime I smell it on someone I think, I used to smell like that. It is amazing how bad it smells after you quit. I wish you luck. Oh and I kept a half a pack on my dresser for about 3 months after I quit....not sure why. I guess it was the just having them there thing.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad someone asked this question - I was just thinking about it.. I've tried to stop numerous times - never really been successful, always seems to be the same - get bored, buy smokes and just carry on.. I read the Allen Carr book and almost finished it, then realised I'd be stopping - kinda defeated the whole point..

All I can say is you will only really be an ex-smoker if you chose to be.. Don't see it as quitting or stopping, just becoming something new.. A philosophy I am currently using in my lifestyle change journey - first analyse food, make changes, then focus on other aspects such as becoming an ex-smoker and a fitter healthier person..

This is certainly one area which has annoyed me for years. I never wanted to be a smoker, but 20years later, I realise it has been the bain of my life.. I believe you can do this and judging by your comments, your mind is almost there in terms of wanting this, good luck - don't see it as quitting (quitting insinuates failure), see it as beginning a new life as an ex-smoker.. :)
  • akwagner25
    akwagner25 Posts: 62
    Options
    I quit September 21, 2009. I smoked my last cigarette that Sunday night while watching Biggest Loser and just decided I was done. To help deal with those panicky feelings or cravings, I wouldn't let myself internally dwell on them. Instead I would tell someone "I want a cigarette" or sometimes I would go as far to say "Can I bum a cigarette". Then I would feel better and the panicky feeling would be gone and I would just say "No, I really don't want one", I just needed to quit dwelling on the fact that I felt like I wanted or needed one and say what I was feeling out loud to make it go away. I know it sounds incredibly silly, but if I dwelled on it, it made it worse for me. I never went back, not even one drag.

Good luck to you, it is definitely not an easy thing.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread, but I am about 2.5 days cigarette free (this time) and I can tell you that it may all be subconscious, but this morning I could already feel a difference on the treadmill. The good definitely outweighs the bad. My problem is my hour plus commute to and from work each day is when I normally smoke the most and that drive kills me. Sugar free gum and carrot sticks seem to help there somewhat.

I get the obsessing though, just reading this thread made me want a smoke.
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First of all, for everyone that has quit, you are awesome keep it up! I was unable to quit cold turkey. I used 'the patch' which was a success. I started MFP a month before I quite which was very helpful. My advice is don't smoke the last cigarette but also you might want to consider using 'the patch'. It helps take the edge off and it may help with your anxiety. Good luck!