Mexican entree recommendations and tips:

Options
shreddingit
shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
Dishes at Mexican restaurants are usually on the larger side with the addition of rice and beans accompanying the meal. To help prevent overeating, I would first suggest ordering a house salad, which should entail tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and some avocado for your healthy fat. This starter salad will also help in the avoidance of eating the full entrée.

Some terms that you should look to avoid on the menu are: fried, crispy, refried, breaded and cheese. Instead look for items that are baked or grilled and request sauces on the side so you can control the amount on your food.
Avoid sour cream or any additional toppings that will add to a higher and unhealthy caloric intake, but feel free to include fresh salsa, as this provides a great boost of vegetables with vitamins and minerals.

Mexican entree recommendations and tips:

1. Fajitas – These are a great option, as the dish comes freshly grilled with toppings and tortillas on the side. This is the perfect opportunity to be in full control as you build your meal. My recommendation is to ditch the tortillas and eat the fajitas as is with some salsa and light guacamole topping.

2. Burrito – This loaded meal can be healthy with a few revisions. Try ordering, as many restaurants term, a “burrito bowl” or “naked burrito,” which means no tortilla. Also, specify no cheese, no sour cream, and request the guacamole on the side. As a finishing touch you can replace the rice with lettuce or include brown rice as opposed to white or Mexican rice.

3. Grilled Proteins – For any entree choice choose grilled chicken, fish, or lean meat as these are excellent sources of protein, which help to keep you feeling full longer.

4. Tortillas – When including tortillas in your meal, choose corn or whole-wheat over flour tortillas, as they have less calories and fat and are higher in fiber.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was wondering! Glad to see my go-to choice, fajitas, is also a good (well, relatively speaking. "good", lol) one!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    guess I should forgo my fried flour tortilla chimichangas with chips and queso dip. :(
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    thanks....
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Another thing to do is ask for a take out box as soon as you get your meal and immediately put 1/2 of your plate in it. A lot of people, myself included, feel the need to eat everything on their plate so if it's not there then you won't eat as much. Also, drink a full glass of water before and after your meal. Put your fork down between each bite and chew well. Eat slow!
  • lestahling
    lestahling Posts: 36
    Options
    Now I really want Mexican food.... :(
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.. I love Mexican food!
  • rache12581
    rache12581 Posts: 54
    Options
    I make a "healthy" Mexican meal at home once a week. Basically using the same tips you just posted. And it's sooo good that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all! I am also lucky my husband is a hunter b/c if I get sick of chicken instead of ground beef we eat venison tacos. It's good for you & I think it tastes WAY better than gound beef & can't ever see myself going back to it.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist I meet with recommends just ordering a side of black beans, corn tortillas, salsa & make your own little tacos.
  • hrigsby
    hrigsby Posts: 31
    Options
    Another thing to do is ask for a take out box as soon as you get your meal and immediately put 1/2 of your plate in it. A lot of people, myself included, feel the need to eat everything on their plate so if it's not there then you won't eat as much. Also, drink a full glass of water before and after your meal. Put your fork down between each bite and chew well. Eat slow!

I do the same thing with putting 1/2 in the box. Or I split my meal with my husband. For chips and salsa, I usually put a portion on my plate so I don't over-eat. Mexican food is my favorite so it is hard for me to remove it from my diet. Instead of a chimi (which is my favorite, I get an enchilada. I know still not the healthiest, but it is fewer calories and I try to plan my day knowing that I would be having it for lunch or dinner.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Another hint/tip. Go for LUNCH. (Smaller portions.) Our Mexican place gives 2 fajitas for lunch and 4 for dinner.