HELP! Need Weight Loss Tips that actually Work. Success Stories greatly appreciated!

Options

Replies

• Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You might consider if your calorie burns are inaccurate particularly for walking. For example, on Friday the 8th you had 1099 extra calories from walking 51 minutes. This sounds very high, and you ate back all of them. I know I've seen calorie burn estimators for walking somewhere, you might try searching for one to do a reasonableness check.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    your just eating to much. plain and simple. I looked at your diary and you were over most days, some you were over by hundreds of calories. you cant exercise your way out of a bad diet and diet seems to be your issue. try sticking to the goals mfp gives you for a few weeks (watch your sodium and sugar) and try not to go over. if your hungry eat back half of your exercise calories. choose more fillings foods (oat bran, protien, veggies) over muffins, fruit and fruit drinks. see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised

I believe OP just changed her calorie goals to that current number, so it would show as being over.
    OP what was your original calorie goal?
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    AAAHhh your calorie counter watch is complete garbage. It's estimating about 1,000 cal/hr walking, it's probably more like 200-300/hr. Also, you go over calorie limit a lot. So eat less and you'll loose weight.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    some of the entries also seem incorrect. How or why would you eat 1.9 of something?
  • fatboy_rob
    fatboy_rob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To Be Honest, there's a lot of snacks on your diary. I've struggled in the past with the same thing but this time I have 'filled' up on Diet Pepsi or Coke when I'm fancying a snack.

I'm not sure if this is great in the long run but it's working for me for now.

I also starting weighing myself daily. I know people say you shouldn't do that as your weight can go up and down daily but it works for me as I can remember what I had yesterday (and what time) and change it if I put on.

The biggest win for me was getting a Jawbone step counter for Christmas. It really does help to keep active and feeds directly into MFP. I don't generally use my exercise calories but I do have 1800 a day to play with.

Good Luck!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    In addition to everyone else's suggestion, it may help to look at your weekly consumed calories to understand where you're going wrong - I've looked at your diary and added up your weekly caloric consumption to average 2457 calories per day - your goal intake is 2000, which means you're going over by 450+ calories daily (on average).

That's nearly 1lb. of calories a week that you aren't losing if you were to actually eat 2000 calories per day.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    AAAHhh your calorie counter watch is complete garbage. It's estimating about 1,000 cal/hr walking, it's probably more like 200-300/hr. Also, you go over calorie limit a lot. So eat less and you'll loose weight.

Slomo hit the nail on the head! From your exercise diary "Custom-Walking 51 minutes 1,099 calories", that is impossible!! 51 minutes of very brisk walking, entering your height, weight and age, would be 477 calories if you are walking very very briskly. 4mph+ (6.5 km/hr)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I agree that as your diary shows, you are eating too much to meet your goals. :(
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Based on the measurements you supplied, your TDEE is 2260. If you set a reasonable goal of near 1pound loss per week, you'd have to decrease your daily calories to 1800 per day. Eating back 50 - 75% of your exercise calories would give you a steady and healthy loss. Let MFP calculate your totals based on a max of 1 pound per week. Cut back on salt/sugar and processed foods where you can, and of course, like others have mentioned, weigh everything. Good luck :)
  • KMaggi3
    KMaggi3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, Dawn. Hang in there! The thing that's worked for me the most is filling up on veggies! I fix big plates of veggies and everything else is small portions. Keep in mind that there are some vegetables out there that aren't as great for you: potatoes, corn and peas are all high in calories! I like to cut up a bunch of different kinds (peppers, onions, zucchini, squash and mushrooms) and sauté them in light olive oil with lots of spices. Yummy!

My weakness is SWEET TEA. And I don't like the after taste some artificial sweeteners make. My remedy was to cut the calories in half by using 1/2 of the sugar and 1/2 Splenda. That made a huge difference in my calorie intake.

Good luck!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Actually, MFP's calorie estimator says that at your weight, 51 minutes of walking at a very brisk pace would only burn 281 calories, nowhere close to 1099. And many people here claim that MFP overestimates calorie burn. If this is the kind of overestimate you've been entering since November and eating all the calories back, that could be wiping out any deficit that you think you had. I feel bad telling you this, but at least this is a source of uncertainty that you can change going forward and see if it makes a difference.
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I have recently started to take a serious look at my carbohydrate intake (mainly focusing on sugars). I feel that most people get way too many carbs for their energy needs. It is drastic and very difficult, but I have cut out added sugars completely and really pulled back the throttle on fruits. However, I would suggest to keep fruits in your diet for those sweet-tooth cravings that come up now and again. Eating fruit as a sweet treat is much better for you than a soda or piece of candy. I have begun to really focus on eating more protein (egg whites, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, greek yogurt {plain, nonfat} and fish) and healthy fats from plant sources (avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil). The tricky thing about fats is that they are very calorically dense! 9 calories per gram, compared to 4 calories per gram in protein and carbs. It is very easy to eat too many calories with fats! However, they are still an important part in your diet and shouldn't be feared, just limited. I have done some reading about different body types and how that play a factor into how you should eat. People who are naturally slender tend to be able to eat a pretty high concentration of carbohydrates and do ok (they are called ectomorphs). On the other end, people with a naturally more round/thick frame tend to do better on a lower carb diet (endomorphs). Folks that work at a desk most of the day and don't engage in really high intensity training (ie bodybuilding or marathon running) don't need a lot of carbs. Carbs provide "quick burning" energy to power through those rigorous work outs. People that do like exercising need more of the "slow burning" fuel from protein and fats. Another great thing about protein and fat is that is digests more slowly, leaving you satisfied longer. I am not saying to cut out carbs completely, but try to get them from quality sources like bright, colorful vegetables and whole grains (I enjoy quinoa, chia seeds, oatmeal, and brown rice). I have implemented this new diet for myself and really liking it so far. I have been suffering from digestive issues for about a year and a half now and since cutting out the "bad carbs" (added sugar and refined grains) I have had very minimal problems. It is evidence to me that I was just getting way to much junk. I hope that info might help you a little bit. I have actually had some fun researching how to eat for my body type. It is empowering to be able to do something about your health and know that it is all you and not a nutritionist or personal trainer! I think you are on the right track by asking for help and having the drive to be able to make a change! You are miles ahead of other people! Good luck to you, and keep up the great work!!!
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    One of my dear coworker ER nurses gave me a rule of thumb from her personal trainer (it's not perfect, but for sedentary folks to mildly active folks it is pretty close and super duper easy). Obviously very fit people and very active people will need more calories, but that really isn't most people.

Take your weight in pounds, multiply it by 10, and that is an approximate number of calories needed to maintain your current weight (not gain, not lose, just hold). To gain weight you need more calories, to lose weight, you need less. For me, a weight of 183 pounds took 1830 calories to maintain and eating at 1200 calories with some exercise helped me lose 4.7 pounds last week. I don't expect a loss like this every week, but anything less than the maintenance calories will add up to weight loss. The more you weigh, the quicker the loss at first.

For you with a listed weight of 240 pounds, it takes approximately 2400 calories to maintain (not gain, not lose). I looked at your log and low and behold, you seem to eat almost exactly 2400 calories most days. To lose you need a deficit, meaning eat less than your number of calories. Exercising to eat more is fine, but you won't lose weight that way. To lose weight you are eating too much. It is very simple and straightforward and nothing personal. Less calories=weight loss.

Might I suggest not eating back the exercise calories, and adopting a 1900 calorie/day diet. Then you should lose about a pound a week from eating less calories, plus whatever exercise calories you burn. 1900 calories is a decent amount of food so you won't feel tired/weak/dizzy. Realistically if you get a raised heartrate for 30 minutes most days you should lose 2-3 pounds a week. Then you would be at 190 pounds in about 4 months and could readjust your calories by multiplying your goal weight in pounds by 10. You will get pretty close to your goal weight eating this way with a little activity.

It worked for my friend, it is working for me, and it is very easy. You seem to be great with logging and measuring your food, so decreasing your calories should do the trick! Good luck! Try it for a week and see.. :smile:
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "People that do like exercising need more of the "slow burning" fuel from protein and fats." I meant to say people that do "LIGHT" exercising. When you aren't doing high-intensity exercises you don't need to eat a lot of carbs. Hope that clarifies.... :)
  • MikySchwartz
    Options
    Cut down the carbs to UNDER 20 grams a day 5 days a week. EAT A TON OF FAT and I mean...Oil, real butter and heavy cream. Some protein, like 60/70 grams. You will see the weight MELT off you. Drink 3 or 4 liters of water. Try it for 3 days :) That's how I lost 50 pounds.Good luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    One of my dear coworker ER nurses gave me a rule of thumb from her personal trainer (it's not perfect, but for sedentary folks to mildly active folks it is pretty close and super duper easy). Obviously very fit people and very active people will need more calories, but that really isn't most people.

Take your weight in pounds, multiply it by 10, and that is an approximate number of calories needed to maintain your current weight (not gain, not lose, just hold). To gain weight you need more calories, to lose weight, you need less. For me, a weight of 183 pounds took 1830 calories to maintain and eating at 1200 calories with some exercise helped me lose 4.7 pounds last week. I don't expect a loss like this every week, but anything less than the maintenance calories will add up to weight loss. The more you weigh, the quicker the loss at first.

For you with a listed weight of 240 pounds, it takes approximately 2400 calories to maintain (not gain, not lose). I looked at your log and low and behold, you seem to eat almost exactly 2400 calories most days. To lose you need a deficit, meaning eat less than your number of calories. Exercising to eat more is fine, but you won't lose weight that way. To lose weight you are eating too much. It is very simple and straightforward and nothing personal. Less calories=weight loss.

Might I suggest not eating back the exercise calories, and adopting a 1900 calorie/day diet. Then you should lose about a pound a week from eating less calories, plus whatever exercise calories you burn. 1900 calories is a decent amount of food so you won't feel tired/weak/dizzy. Realistically if you get a raised heartrate for 30 minutes most days you should lose 2-3 pounds a week. Then you would be at 190 pounds in about 4 months and could readjust your calories by multiplying your goal weight in pounds by 10. You will get pretty close to your goal weight eating this way with a little activity.

It worked for my friend, it is working for me, and it is very easy. You seem to be great with logging and measuring your food, so decreasing your calories should do the trick! Good luck! Try it for a week and see.. :smile:

This advice probably won't hurt anything but that "rule of thumb" is wildly inaccurate. I'd be maintaining my weight on 1220 calories, and that would be a very sad state of affairs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Cut down the carbs to UNDER 20 grams a day 5 days a week. EAT A TON OF FAT and I mean...Oil, real butter and heavy cream. Some protein, like 60/70 grams. You will see the weight MELT off you. Drink 3 or 4 liters of water. Try it for 3 days :) That's how I lost 50 pounds.Good luck

as OP has identified no medical condition this is totally unnecessary for weight loss..

she can eat carbs, be in a deficit and lose weight..

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - from the other comments it appears that you are over estimating your calorie burns and then eating 100% of said calories back.

I would suggest only eating back half of your calorie burns for the next two to three weeks, measure every single bit of food that you consume, and see how that goes….
  • HappyEC
    HappyEC Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I know you already know that sugar is a "development area" for you (as we say at my job, haha) but I'd like to emphasize how much reducing this has helped me kick off from my plateau. I found that while I lost weight at first by staying within my kJ goal, at one point I plateaued and only revamping what I ate within that kJ goal made a difference. I weaned off sugar by trying natural sources like dates and made myself aware of those times I REALLY wanted sugar, observed how agitated it made me, and tried to push through with fruity herbal teas or distractions. I then made switches like no sugar in tea (took 3 months to get used to), savoury snacks over sweet, and trying sugar free or reduced recipes that didn't just use artificial sweetener, but had less sweetness overall so my taste buds adjusted. Finally as a mental step, I told myself thst I would rather enjoy a treat when an occasion called for it than grab one out of tiredness, boredom, anxiety, or anything else.

I now focus my food intake on meeting my nutritional needs, ie daily vitamins etc, which makes not choosing random treats much easier, mainly bc when you're eating for nutrition, you eat such a filling volume of real foods that there's no room in a day - or even in your tummy - for a rogue cupcake.

I hope this helps in some way, I suspect weaning off sugar may be necessary before focusing fully on nutrition can be possible, mentally anyway :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hiya! I know you already know that sugar is a "development area" for you (as we say at my job, haha) but I'd like to emphasize how much reducing this has helped me kick off from my plateau. I found that while I lost weight at first by staying within my kJ goal, at one point I plateaued and only revamping what I ate within that kJ goal made a difference. I weaned off sugar by trying natural sources like dates and made myself aware of those times I REALLY wanted sugar, observed how agitated it made me, and tried to push through with fruity herbal teas or distractions. I then made switches like no sugar in tea (took 3 months to get used to), savoury snacks over sweet, and trying sugar free or reduced recipes that didn't just use artificial sweetener, but had less sweetness overall so my taste buds adjusted. Finally as a mental step, I told myself thst I would rather enjoy a treat when an occasion called for it than grab one out of tiredness, boredom, anxiety, or anything else.

I now focus my food intake on meeting my nutritional needs, ie daily vitamins etc, which makes not choosing random treats much easier, mainly bc when you're eating for nutrition, you eat such a filling volume of real foods that there's no room in a day - or even in your tummy - for a rogue cupcake.

I hope this helps in some way, I suspect weaning off sugar may be necessary before focusing fully on nutrition can be possible, mentally anyway :)

bolded part is totally unnecessary …

I eat about 100 grams a sugar a day and have no issues with cutting or maintaining..

OP has identified no medical issues that would make her sensitive to sugar..

so your cut out sugar which tends to be higher calorie and lost weight? Congrats, you just found a way to create a larger calorie deficit and break your plateau ….you could of done that by eating sugar and just reducing over all intake...